“love the place”

Alvaro's Portuguese Restaurant
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Alvaro's restaurant, established in 1977, serves Portugese and Mediterranean cuisine with silver service.
Reviewed May 28, 2013

this is one of my top rated places sadly I don't live local or I could visit more often.Went last weekend to visit my daughter so there was no way I wasn't going to eat here .As in the past it was a brilliant evening top food and service .

1  Thank dean c

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Went to Alvaro's again tonight for a family meal. The service, as always was impeccable, friendly and expert. This restaurant has been a favorite of my Mum & Dad since they moved to the Southend area 26 years ago.

I love the Chateaubriand, but it's for 2 people so tonight I had the steak Diane cooked expertly at the table by Freddie. Most of my relatives are fish lovers so they had the wonderful Portuguese fish dishes that really stand out here.

Nothing is too much trouble and even the house wine is delicious.
The food isn't cheap, I still rate the value for money as you get wonderful fresh ingredients and a super meal out.

We will be back, it's a certainty!

Reviewed May 9, 2013

My Husband and I have been going to this restaurant for a number of years. And can honestly say we have never had a disappointing meal. The service has always been first class it can be a bit exspensive but when you are getting service and food like this you don't mind paying. If you haven't tried this restaurant yet you are missing a treat. go the next time you want a great night out you must book.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This restaurant is superb - their fish is the best thing on the menu! Comprehensive menu, lots of items cooked and served by your table. Old- fashioned traditional efficient service with a friendly welcome. Good cellar. My very favourite restaurant.

1  Thank RosN999
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I hadn't eaten here for a good few years, and was hoping it was as good as I remembered. We were lucky to get a table without a booking on a Saturuday night, due to a cancellation, as the restaurant was very busy. We were made to feel welcome from the start by the lovely lady behind the bar and the excellent waiters. The food was superb and presented beautifully. We had three courses each and drinks, and the bill came to £100, which we both agreed was money well spent. Someone on here has commented that they could eat at some very good restaurants for that money, well this is a very, very good restaurant worth saving up for. We will definately be going back.