“Do not stay at the Terrace Hotel!”
Review of Terrace Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Westcliff-on-Sea
Terrace Hotel
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My sister and I spent one night, Friday 31st August 2012. On entering there was a distinct musty smell. We were given our key and told where Room 2 (twin bedded room with a garden view) was. As we went into the room yet again the musty smell was terrible. The room was dirty, the curtains, not only dirty but with cigarette burns in them. The 'garden view' was only visible by standing on the bed and straining your neck to see a very small section of the garden. But the worst thing was the bathroom, the shower tray was covered in brown stains, the shower head was black, needless to say neither of us had a shower and had to make do with the tiny hand basin to wash ourselves. The staff were friendly, the breakfast ok and the bed linen clean, but if we hadn't paid upfront there is no way we would have stayed. Please, please don't make the same mistake as us!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank 23Sally

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Went back again to the Terrace this year and took a friend, both our rooms were Nice, clean & comfortable and we had no problems at all with them. I am very fussy about clean beds, bathroom and toilets and found everything spotless.Very good breakfast nothing was too much trouble for the staff, who are friendly and helpfull, If going back to Southend next year i certainly would book into the Terrace again. Really enjoyed my break and with no problems with the accomodation it made it perfect.

Great value for money, couldnt have asked for more!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank lynn m
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I only stayed here one night in October 2011 having attended a wedding down the road near Rayleigh

As 90% of my time here was sleeping, I can only be quite brief and say that my only criticism was the shower would not stay in its holder properly! Eventually I managed to balance it sufficiently to tolerate!

If these little foibles irritate you then guest houses maybe aren't the place for you to be staying. However, for a tired traveller to put his head down for the night (I had been on the road for much of the week but staying at friends or family all nights but this one) I could not complain at less than £30 on a Saturday night!

N.B. the parking outside seemed relatively secure and is free from around 8pm on Saturday until 11am on Sunday.

I would consider the Terrace if and when in Southend again, but also look at Travelodges and Premier Inns nearby of which there seem to be several driving up the A127 from the M25

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Stayed here 1 night, very good location , reasonably priced, staff friendly breakfast good, no complaints. The hotel does need updating, but nevertheless was clean and had no problems. Very quiet also.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank k5005
Reviewed August 20, 2011

i stayed at the Terrace Guest house with my 11 year old grandson for a few days holiday it was most enjoyable. We were completely satisfied. Nice clean room, friendly staff, excellent english breakfast,well cooked. Great value for money. It was nice and quiet even though it is located over looking the sea front. The sea view from the room was very nice. I am intending to get another break there before the end of the year. I would reccommend the Terrace to anyone. Well done Terrace staff for an enjoyable break.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank lynn m
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Starting with the positive, the position is perfect. It is in such a pretty street (close to both sea front and shopping ccentre) but still quiet. Indeed the exterior is very appealing - apart from the obviously naff fake flowers positioned in one of the front windows!

However...
We had a bad start when the double room we had booked (with an ensuite) was "not available" and we were sent down to the basement and our only option was to use a shared loo and bathroom. The room was very basic and had a very small window.. Incidentally there was no apology proffered for this - only a "this is all we can offer you" approach.

Downstairs, the paint work was a vile 'Germaline" pink and the whole decor and finish screamed 'make-do and was off-puttingly penny pinching".

If this hotel had some love and a bit of cash spent on it (in keeping with it's royal history) it could be a real gem. However, the sevice is also perfunctory and the 10.30 checkout and 8-9am slot for breakfast seems to mirror the eneral attitude of the management.

The breakfast (though adequate) smacked of having been cooked in advance and kept warm.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jphcmt
Reviewed July 25, 2011

my wife and me decided we needed a break from our 3 kids, a kind relative, (auntie) looked after them. I chose this hotel as the price was ok £65 for a double 4 poster bed,and it was on the seafront with seaview balcony and full english breakfast in the morning. The 4 poster bed, resembled a double bunk bed without the bed on top, it wasn't a proper 4 posted bed i hope that made sense! the seaview is good, but you share the balcony with the guest in the next room. Breakfast was very nice as were the employees who worked here.
What you have to be aware of is that this bed and breakfast offers no parking, it can be a nightmare finding parking on the seafront in southend, after driving around for 45mins we had to park in the multi car park, this was only 5/10 mins walk away.
this hotel is decent, but we wouldnt stay here for more than 1 night

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank billyukb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westcliff-on-Sea
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
#2 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea
Premier Inn Southend On Sea (Eastern Esplanade) Hotel
Premier Inn Southend On Sea (Eas...
#4 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Roslin Beach Hotel
Roslin Beach Hotel
#2 of 2 in Thorpe Bay
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Southend Guest House
Southend Guest House
#4 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea
Gleneagles Guesthouse
Gleneagles Guesthouse
#1 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea

Been to Terrace Hotel? Share your experiences!