“Brilliant breakfast but rubbish rooms”
Review of The Welbeck Hotel

The Welbeck Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Brilliant breakfast but rubbish rooms”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We booked this hotel at the very last minute; it was £55 for a double room for the night, with an additonal £5 charge per person for breakfast. The room was clean and tidy, but drab and tired looking. The wallpaper was peeling in several places, the skirting board was cracked and the bathroom looked in need of regrouting. In our room we also had what we thought was a motion sensor above our door. It emitted a bright green light all night which disturbed my sleep. Our room also got uncomfortably hot during the night. However, breakfast was lovely - the lady serving us was brilliant. She kept offering us more tea and coffee! The hotel is about a 20 minute walk from the pier/Adventure Island although we got a taxi into town and back when we went out for a meal in the evening. I think we got what we paid for; couldn't fault the breakfast but the hotel needs some serious TLC (which it seemed in the process of receiving). Would recommend for last minute bookings or overnight stays.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2014

This hotel is OK for a very last minuet booking, I wouldn't go back if I could get anywhere else.
It needs a lot of maintenance to make it a all round good BnB.

The staff was helpful although we didn't see/speak apart from check in and check out.

Although the bed linen & towels were visually clean, the bathroom could do with updating. We were a group booking of 3 rooms, all 3 rooms had very bad shower systems. You couldn't have a shower without keeping one hand on the tap to make sure you don't get burnt or freeze to death by water!!
Also the taps in the bathroom sink both pour out boiling hot water, don't let your kids in there un supervised!

In room 3 + 4 (not sure about the others) there are green fire exit lights that stay on 24 hours a day. I know it's for safety but when your trying to sleep its very bright and its about half a meter long fixed to the ceiling.

Room has TV has freeview, Tea & coffee making facility's, and bedside tables/drawers.
All furniture needs updating its very worn same as carpets and decor.

The best thing probably about this hotel is that is has free parking of about 6-8 spaces out the front and back of hotel.

On our vist there was scaffolding up all around the hotel, we wasn't told about this on the phone prior to booking. It didn't effect anything but when you pull up outside the hotel on first impressions it doesn't make things better!

As I say ALOT of maintenance needs doing on this BnB to make me go back. We paid £70 for a family room & £120 for 2 double rooms i wouldnt pay them prices again.

more like £45 for a family room and £30 for a double, realistic prices.

5/10

Room Tip: Our favorite BnB in Southend/West-Cliff is 'Pleasant court guesthouse' Try that!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This has got to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

For work I travel all over the country, meaning I often stay in three or four different hotels a month, and by far, this one is the worst.

When I arrived, one of the three parking spaces at the front of the hotel was being taken up by a skip, and another by a van the the owner as using, so parking was a bit snug, meaning that other visitors had to park their vehicles across the entrance of the drive, this meant that any vehicles that were actually able to park on the drive where subsequently blocked in.

Once I entered the hotel I was told that I was not to smoke inside, I did explain to the man on reception that I am not a smoker so that would not be an issue, but he continued to warn me not to smoke inside due to the new fire alarm system. The first night at the hotel, between 18.00 and 22.00 the fire alarm went off 5 times, this prompted a full room inspection from the man on the reception desk to make sure I was not smoking in the room......

The fire alarm went off several times on the remaining two nights of my stay also.

The room itself was filthy, I actually removed the headboard from behind the bed because it had a somewhat worrying brown stain on it, I also found hairs in the bed. The one and only cup that was supplied as part of the tea/coffee making facilities in the room had tea drops on the outside which gave me the distinct impression that it had not been cleaned since the last guest had used it.

The bed was like something out of a comedy sketch, every time I moved in the night the bed made very loud squeaking and creaking noises and was very uncomfortable, I was worried I would wake the people in the next room if I moved around too much!

The window in my room (room 1) overlooked a flat roof at the back of the hotel, I'm not too worried about the view usually as I only am in the room in the evenings, but every night when I returned there were several men standing on the flat roof outside the window dismantling a part of the hotel, they were very noisy, between shouting to each other, on different levels of the hotels exterior, and throwing the wood that they were taking off the hotel onto the flat roof. They treated my presence as more of a visiting attraction and several times I noted them watching me through the window until I closed the blind.

The breakfast was a disgusting collection of oily microwaved pap, admittedly it was only £5 per day, but I'd still have rather gone without. A couple of minutes after having sat down, and a few pings of the microwave and I had my full English, a dining experience I wish never to go through again.

The décor throughout the hotel was horrible, the paper was pealing off the walls, there as large damp parches all over the hotel, the cupboard in my room had mould growing on the wall inside, so I left my clothes in my bag rather than hang them up, not ideal.

I stayed at this hotel for three nights, and I didn't feel clean until I got home and had a shower. The shower at the hotel just dribbled out, and was so small it was impossible to move in it without hitting the tap with your back and either changing the temperature to scolding or freezing, or turning it off all together. The bathroom was shared between me and the room next door, which I knew when I booked so that wasn't a problem, but the bathroom was very grubby and although making the best use of the very poor facilities, I just didn't feel clean the entire time I was there.

The hotel was cheap, £100 for 3 nights, but I've stayed in cheaper hotels and still had a decent clean room and bathroom, with good facilities and comfy beds. This really is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, I stay in a lot of hotels, all over the country for work, and I wish to never stay in one like this ever again. I would strongly advise anyone to stay well away from this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank onjm

Travelers are raving about these Westcliff-on-Sea hotels

Oxford, Mississippi
Reviewed June 10, 2014

The staff was very helpful when I checked in. The wifi didn't work for Safari or iMessage on my Macbook, but it did work for Firefox. I wasn't really able to access wifi in my room though. The room was nice and clean, although I would have appreciated a flat sheet between myself and the duvet. I enjoyed having a washbasin in the room. Plumbing, both the toilet and shower, could use updating. It took about 5 minutes to get the water to a temperature that wasn't scalding or freezing. Location was great, close to the seaside and to the Westcliff train station. Aside from the internet issue it was a great place for my weekend to Southend.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Westerham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Made our first visit to Southend I was singing with a Choir at the Palace Theatre we therefore wanted cheap and cheerful accommodation and the Welbeck fitted the bill.
We booked the family room, all the normal doubles were taken, we arrived early and the place seem deserted so we came back after lunch and noticed that the door had a notice saying to ring a telephone number which we did and found that we should have rung a rather inconspicuous bell (silly us!!)
We were greeted by Tom who was very friendly, informative and helpful. The hotel is fairly old and with tired looking decoration but the fire alarm system seemed to be very good, it did have a bar which didn't seem to be used. Our room (No 5) was on the first floor with two single beds and bunk beds presumably for children
Again the room was rather drab but the beds were well made with a plentiful range of towels, the bathroom was slightly grubby in need of new fittings but everything seemed to work.
The room was rather warm during the night and the windows difficult to open.
The breakfast in the morning was excellent we had a "Full English", the lady doing the cooking an waiting was really friendly and efficient, it cost an extra £5.80 which we thought was excellent value!!!
The cost of the stay was £69.00 (excluding breakfast) which we thought was excellent value.
We have no hesitation in recommending the Welbeck for those want basic accommodation at a very reasonable price

Room Tip: The back rooms may be quieter
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Harry P
Gosford, Australia
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I just stayed here overnight so I could catch an early morning flight from SEN.
Not a bad place. They upgraded me to a room with a private bathroom, which I was thankful for. Just a few mins walk from the train station. Theres a pub and a Chinese place around the corner. And the sunset was surprisingly beautiful!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Exmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We were a family and got Room 5.We got absolutely got what we want.A lot of space in the room.With an awesome bath,Armchairs and a warm,clean room.The Guy (Thomas) was very friendly and he was always there to help anyone,anytime.The breakfast was so good and the waitress is also so friendly.We feel very comfortable and we had an awesome stay in the Hotel and had a good Holiday in southend.Recommend strongly.Will back again.Many Thanks

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Anmary A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westcliff-on-Sea
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
#2 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
#4 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Roslin Beach Hotel
Roslin Beach Hotel
#2 of 2 in Thorpe Bay

Been to The Welbeck Hotel? Share your experiences!