“Our stay :-) Anna & Robert”
Review of The Welbeck Hotel

The Welbeck Hotel
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Booked online and response was great communication.Really pleased all round...Very comfortable & very good value for money so we were happy with the stay and will hopefully be staying again if in this area or near.So for the price and the area was actually above our expectations.Many thanks Dennis :-)

Room Tip: Room 4 was a very cosy,bright,comfortable & welcoming.Shower was good also.I would highly recomm...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annabob2012

Reviewed September 5, 2012

The staff in this hotel were very friendly and welcoming. The hotel is in a good position five mins away from station and one minute from the beach. If you like walking you can walk to southend in twenty five mins. Chalkwell in about twenty and another twenty five is Leigh On Sea which is also a lovely place to visit. Town centre about fifteen minutes. The hotel needs alot of work done on it also could do with being alot cleaner eg spider webs covering the window. Saying that the beds were comfortable and there was tea and coffee in the rooms. Rooms are £55 for two people including breakfast. Breakfast is choice from yogurts, fruit, cereal plus a choice of breakfast from menu. Service was good and were helpful. There are no lifts so you would need to check where your room is if you cant use stairs. I would go back as it is a good home base for the area for what i need. Decoration and cleanliness lets it down unfortunately.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have bunk beds so check first if your child cannot sleep in one yet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sandra W
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I have spent many years (30) travelling the world and this was possibly the dirtiest room I have ever stayed in. I found blood on my kettle (yes that's right). The sink was cracked and the carpet and paintwork filthy. The bathroom had no panel against the bath just bare chip board and the lino (I think that's what it was) didn't meet the wall. The toilet blocked. The best was hearing the proprietor tell the cook (whilst cooking my one and only breakfast there) to go unblock the toilet in one of the rooms. The only hotel that I have stayed in that could be any worse than this was one in Nagpur in the center of India. Sadly this hotel was once owned by Val and Richard family friends of mine. It was a lovely hotel but sadly it is not anymore. Steer clear!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Pinnyposts
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We only stayed one night as we were visiting friends in the area. Firstly the greeting was exceptional... My partner (27) and myself (24) were initially told that if the hotel owners weren't away for the weekend we wouldn't be allowed to stay, as we're too young. Not only am I not a huge fan of ageism - we are hardworking professional couple leaving a penthouse in Central London to stay here for the night - but great to be judged nonetheless!

My partner asked about the bar, visible from Reception "what time does it open?" she said, "It doesn't work like that here, you won't be going out all night and using it after" the receptionist replied, subscribing more to the ageism thing again rather than providing a legitimate and helpful answer to a simple question.

Being shown our room reminded me of the film "The Shining", starring Jack Nicholson. Not because it looked grand and full of character, but because it had a mark in the door from where someone had swung at it with an axe. Inside the room however, although generally clean resembled Leigh-on-sea's answer to "The Shawshank Redemption", the door opened against the bed and the toilet was a one-man capsule, enabling you to use the toilet, wash your hair, brush your teeth and make a cup of tea at the same time. I did look for tally marks on the wall but all I found was a tunnel leading out to another B&B. Which I would have considered crawling through if I hadn't have already paid £60 for the room/cell.

Also - despite being told by the Receptionist "we don't have any restrictions here except: keep the noise down, you dont drag me out of bed" - Room noises ( yes those ones) were heard loudly from 2 different directions. I guess they didn't have to go thought the highly strenuous vetting process that we did!

Room Tip: try to be over 65.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Jamie R
Reviewed June 11, 2012

A comfortable B&B although no breakfast available the week I stayed but value for money without it. A good size double bedroom with good sized en-suite
A warm welcome from the friendly onwers who were very helpful with my various requests.
Well positioned close to railway station and bus route and a short walk to the beach.

Room Tip: Situated on a quiet street but could be quite a climb to higher rooms with luggage
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank 747kiwi
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Nice people, clean and comfy bed and I slept like a log. However, the hotel has indeed has seen better days but for £25 for an overnight stop it did the trick. Wouldn't choose to stay there again and the room could've been cleaner.

Room Tip: No.12 has a shower that takes a while to warm up, but they do let you know about this in advance so...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Debby M
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Me and my partner stayed here weekend just. We weren't expecting the hilton for the price we paid for 2 nights.. and after reading some reviews we were dreading what we would see.

I have got to say we were more than pleased.. A very warm welcome, nice warm clean and comfortable room. nice breakfast and good service. rooms cleaned daily. Very friendly owners. Can not complain about a thing. And thank you for a nice warm welcoming weekend. Will be going again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amy661
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westcliff-on-Sea
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
#2 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 20 in Southend-on-Sea
Southend Guest House
Southend Guest House
#4 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea
Camelia Hotel
Camelia Hotel
#1 of 20 in Southend-on-Sea
Premier Inn Southend Airport Hotel
Premier Inn Southend Airport Hot...
#8 of 20 in Southend-on-Sea
Ilfracombe House Hotel
Ilfracombe House Hotel
#9 of 20 in Southend-on-Sea

Been to The Welbeck Hotel? Share your experiences!