“Possibly the worst B&B I've stayed in.”
Review of The Welbeck Hotel

The Welbeck Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Possibly the worst B&B I've stayed in.”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We only stayed one night as we were visiting friends in the area. Firstly the greeting was exceptional... My partner (27) and myself (24) were initially told that if the hotel owners weren't away for the weekend we wouldn't be allowed to stay, as we're too young. Not only am I not a huge fan of ageism - we are hardworking professional couple leaving a penthouse in Central London to stay here for the night - but great to be judged nonetheless!

My partner asked about the bar, visible from Reception "what time does it open?" she said, "It doesn't work like that here, you won't be going out all night and using it after" the receptionist replied, subscribing more to the ageism thing again rather than providing a legitimate and helpful answer to a simple question.

Being shown our room reminded me of the film "The Shining", starring Jack Nicholson. Not because it looked grand and full of character, but because it had a mark in the door from where someone had swung at it with an axe. Inside the room however, although generally clean resembled Leigh-on-sea's answer to "The Shawshank Redemption", the door opened against the bed and the toilet was a one-man capsule, enabling you to use the toilet, wash your hair, brush your teeth and make a cup of tea at the same time. I did look for tally marks on the wall but all I found was a tunnel leading out to another B&B. Which I would have considered crawling through if I hadn't have already paid £60 for the room/cell.

Also - despite being told by the Receptionist "we don't have any restrictions here except: keep the noise down, you dont drag me out of bed" - Room noises ( yes those ones) were heard loudly from 2 different directions. I guess they didn't have to go thought the highly strenuous vetting process that we did!

Room Tip: try to be over 65.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Jamie R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed June 11, 2012

A comfortable B&B although no breakfast available the week I stayed but value for money without it. A good size double bedroom with good sized en-suite
A warm welcome from the friendly onwers who were very helpful with my various requests.
Well positioned close to railway station and bus route and a short walk to the beach.

Room Tip: Situated on a quiet street but could be quite a climb to higher rooms with luggage
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank 747kiwi
Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Nice people, clean and comfy bed and I slept like a log. However, the hotel has indeed has seen better days but for £25 for an overnight stop it did the trick. Wouldn't choose to stay there again and the room could've been cleaner.

Room Tip: No.12 has a shower that takes a while to warm up, but they do let you know about this in advance so...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Debby M

Travelers are raving about these Westcliff-on-Sea hotels

england
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Me and my partner stayed here weekend just. We weren't expecting the hilton for the price we paid for 2 nights.. and after reading some reviews we were dreading what we would see.

I have got to say we were more than pleased.. A very warm welcome, nice warm clean and comfortable room. nice breakfast and good service. rooms cleaned daily. Very friendly owners. Can not complain about a thing. And thank you for a nice warm welcoming weekend. Will be going again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amy661
Reviewed December 4, 2011

I needed a place to bed down for the night that wasn't going to cost me a fortune. I stayed in a single room at the back of the hotel that wasn't en-suite, but shared a bathroom with one other room. My room was a bit tatty, but it was very clean indeed, with a comfortable bed, clean bedding and towels, and a bar of soap with a kettle and tea making facilities. I was so tired, I didn't check to see if the TV in the corner was working, but it looked fine.

In the morning I had a hot shower in an old but very functional shower, and was on my way after picking up a receipt.

My only quibble might be that there is parking, but it isn't for the novice driver. A colleague also stayed, and said he decided against leaving his car in the car park, as it was a bit tight.

I got the room for £20 which I though was perfect, and at that price the room was a bargain.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Andy P
London
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Sorry have not got a clue what the previous reviewer is on about listen if you need another glass OJ then open your mouth!! This hotel is cheap and cheerful and very clean. After a days work this place is like home from home. Staff are very friendly and accommodating. Floorboards didn't seem to be a problem either (strange thing to say?) this just makes it more homely! Breakfast was good and filling. Sausage, bacon, eggs, hash brown and beans, hardly a child's portion! Oh with two slices! As soon as my new contract comes through I will be booking again.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank reviewexpert012
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This hotel is quite pleasant but having to stay in Hotels on a regular basis I think they need to up their game to get repeat trade.
The staff are helpful and the bed comfortable. So far so good.
The things that don’t help are: Floorboards that appear to have never been secured. Whoever gets up in the middle of the night in which ever room wakes everybody up. They are a constant pain, so much so that you find yourself hopping around the room trying to land on the most secure board.
Shelving left un-cleaned. This shelf was in the bathroom and had two glasses on it. It would be the shelf that you would expect to put your toiletries. It was thick with gunk and in places was turning green! Needless to say I kept my toiletries in the bedroom. Soap was the cheapest foul smelling pink tablets that I thought had gone out with the ark? The TV was tiny and only had the terrestrial channels with no main aerial available? Please this should not be happening so close to the switch over to digital! What are you waiting for?
Breakfast was what I and fellow guests called a children’s meal. On arrival to the breakfast room you were allowed one small glass of orange juice with no chance of topping it up. There were 4 yogurts on offer but with 8 rooms you had to be quick! Toast! I have never ever been offered just one slice of bread for toast, what is going on? Make the breakfast worth sitting down to and you have won half the battle. The traditional breakfast was a quick snack at best. Very disappointing. The worst part about breakfast was having the owner look at you through the very low level hatch, speaking to you every time they caught your eye. With the radio on quite loud it was impossible to hear what they were saying which led to many embarrassing nods and smiles. If you want a conversation come out in to the dining room!
Overall the down points outweighed the good and I will not be stopping there again. However with a little effort the owners could make this a place worth visiting but whatever you do, please sort out the bloody floorboards!

Room Tip: Ask for one with secure floorboards
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Steve H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westcliff-on-Sea
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
#2 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea
Southend Guest House
Southend Guest House
#4 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,150 reviews
Premier Inn Southend On Sea (Eastern Esplanade) Hotel
Premier Inn Southend On Sea (Eas...
#1 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Gleneagles Guesthouse
Gleneagles Guesthouse
#1 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea
Skylark Hotel
Skylark Hotel
#3 of 3 in Rochford

Been to The Welbeck Hotel? Share your experiences!