“A great weekend stay”

Gleneagles Guesthouse
Brisbane
“A great weekend stay”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were treated by Gary around 0845 on Saturday morning and given access to our room immediately. Gary was very welcoming and soon introduced us to his wife, Penny. Our room on level one was well appointed and a very comfortable night had by my wife and I. Location is fantastic. The breakfast was also great quality and good service. We will certainly come back here on our next visit from Australia.

Room Tip: Level one pier suite fantastic room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Birkdale Tourist. Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again. Next time, we hope you will stay for longer and will see a further improvement in our services. We also hope the weather will be better to enjoy a Cream Tea on our Terrace !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The Gleneagles guest-house is a traditional seaside B&B in a lovely terrace with great views over the sea (or should I say Thames Estuary?!). The benefits of a stay here are the great location - right on the sea-front and walking distance to most of Southend's attractions, the town centre and stations - and its great value.

Our sea-view room was at the very top of the building, it was small, an odd-shape and really quite cramped for two people to share. It also had an en-suite which was really not much larger than a cupboard. For the price we paid we can't really complain but maybe we should have paid more for a bigger room!

The couple that run the hotel were very welcoming and we felt that they would do anything to make our stay a pleasant one. The breakfast was certainly worth getting up for!

Our sleep was interrupted at times by other noisy guests and some noise from outside but this didn't bother us too much.

I'd recommend this as a good value bolt-hole for a stay in Southend which contracts nicely with the now ubiquitous chain hotels which are similarly priced. Just don't expect much sophistication or many modern touches from the Gleneagles as its an old building and tradition is really its charm.

I don't think 'average' really does The Gleneagles justice but then I wouldn't say my experience was 'very good' either. If I could I'd go for 'good' but TripAdvisor won't let me have that option!

1 Thank JDMatthews
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear JD Matthews

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We do have plans to upgrade the rooms, within the strict guidelines that we have to follow as a Grade2 listed building, though we will never be able to modernise to any great extent. We therefore focus on quality in Service by providing additional services for example free wi fi (often very expensive in Hotels) and complimentary toiletries, tea coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits. Also we provide a wide range of choices at breakfast, from full English local sourced wherever possible to fresh fruit cereals and yoghurt.
I do hope you will visit again soon
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

A nice welcome, but a strange reception area consisting of a bench a small table and a telephone! We were shown to our room, which was at at the top of the house. The room was very clean, but in dire need of a revamp. I guess the new owners have only just taken over, so it will take time to redecorate the rooms. However, it was well appointed with a nice tea tray, gnenerously stocked. The shower was lovely and powerful, and the beds were comfortable. The breakfast was wonderful. A good spread of cereals, juices, yoghurts and jams. The cooked breakfast by Gary himself was lovely. He apologised for not greeting us in person the previous day. The food was great, very good quality ingredients, and a hot place. I hope that Gary and Penny do have plans to redecorate, patch up the falling plaster on the stairwells, and invest in the rooms. When that happens we will be back!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear ConeyImagesPhotograp

Thank you for your comments. As you rightly point out some of our public areas and rooms need a bit of TLC. We have already embarked on a refurbishment programme and have decorated one room and refurbished the Kitchen. Being a very old building .knocks and scrapes result in major work in some cases. The area of plaster, which needs repair ,had only been removed a few days earlier by a Guests suitcase ! We are glad you enjoyed your breakfast which features many locally sourced products. We hope you will return soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed here, sadly just for one night, but we will definitely be back. Gary and Penny treated us like long lost friends, it was a pleasure to be there. We had the Pier suite with its wonderful sea view. It was very relaxing to sit in the comfy chairs in the bay window watching the activity in the estuary. I would love to return here on a hot summer's day. The breakfast set us up nicely for the trip ahead of us. All local produce which was absolutely delicious. Thanks to both of you for your wonderful hospitality.
Can't agree at all with sexy panda's review at all........ You must have been having a bad day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Alicenic
Thank you for your kind comments. We are glad you enjoyed our warm welcome and the views from your room. We have plans to upgrade the facility over the next few years so I hope when you return you will enjoy your stay even more.
london
Reviewed April 2, 2013

As a regular traveller to Southend and Ramsgate, it is not unfair for me to say that I have stayed in several different dwellings. I have come to the conclusive opinion that guest houses or the old style 'BnB' are not for me. The reason for this revelation came on Easter weekend when I stayed at the Gleneagles guest house. I arrived and really just wanted to get my keys and start my break.
We began by waiting in the hallway, which also doubles up as a reception, for several minutes before we were ushered up several flights of stairs. On the way another guest was on his way down which caused another problem because the stairs were very narrow. When we eventually came to the room the initial opinion was that is was very tiny but very clean and bright. The furniture was again very compact and was reminiscent of a room you would find in a caravan. Where space was not readily available the layout obviously suffered. The shower room door had to be a slide door the tiny bedside cabinet doubled up a the tea service and the wardobe had to be seen to be believed.
I spend very little time in the room so was unperturbed by these shortcomings and had no more concerns until the next morning. We awoke and I decided to have a shower, sliding the door aside I stepped into the space designated for the shower and toilet. The shower itself would have impressed a resident of lilliput but for a man over 6 feet tall would have meant holding the shower head above my head. Although the plumbing was such that the shower head had to be removed before the water came on and the on off tap was so loose and the nut came off. My patience gave up and I had a strip wash in the sink. The toilet although clean took an eon to refill which leads me to think that the room was a former loft and had issues with water pressure.
My previous stay in the Park Inn was completely different, the lobby and the attentive staff member booked me in and gave me directions to a lift. The keycard of which there were two opened into a gargantuan room with a kingsize bed and oodles of floor space. Wardobes that you could walk into and a wet room which was almost the size of the meagre offering of the entire room at the gleneagles. A large power shower and immaculate lodgings came a price tag of £85.00 which is £20.00 more than my recent stay. I feel I am being a little too harsh on the Gleneagles and maybe because I have came to expect more for my money and if you find yourself unable to book at the Park In or the Radisson and you can forgive the above, then the Gleneagles will provide a pleasant, clean if not a little cramped and dated place for you to explore Southend.

Room Tip: The ageing Guest houses are falling behind the quality premium hotels.
5 Thank sexypanda
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Sexy Panda
Thank you for your comments and for your starting a debate on the future of Guest Houses. By their very nature Guest Houses are as is stated on the tin, you are entering someone’s house “as a paying guest “unlike a Hotel which is a fully commercial and often faceless operation. It is the more homely feel, that as you will, doubtless, have seen from previous reviews, many of our Guests value.
Our building was built in 1850 and is a key part of Southend’s heritage so is Grade 2 listed. This restricts very much what we can do to the interior and exterior of the building. So for example we would not be able to widen the stairs that you found narrow. The room you chose was one of our cheaper ones and was in the 1931 dormer extension (which also forms part of the listed building) and is not a loft conversion. Had you chosen to pay slightly more and less than the figure you quoted for the Park Inn, you could have had one of our premier suites, complete with a seating area overlooking the sea and a large en suite with an opening door. I do hope you might consider visiting us again and enjoy one of our premier rooms
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was a short visit back to Southend, where I grew up, for a touch of nostalgia. I felt right at home here.
We took the Pier Suite with its lovely bay window overlooking the estuary. It was very cold weather but the room was cosy and warm. From the hotel it is a short walk to the pier, the High Street and many eating places including a fish and chip shop which I was particularly interested in. Also, a first class Indian restaurant.
Comfortable room, wonderful view and great breakfast. A bargain. The owners who recently took this hotel over are wonderful people who undoubtedly will succeed. Thank you, Penny and Garry.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Shrimper67

Thank you for your kind comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and were able to relive your childhood memories here in Southend. We are continuing to make improvements and I hope should you return you will see more changes. This week we will be opening our Coffee shop and you can either sit on the terrace or we have room inside, to enjoy light lunches and cream teas.
Wherever I lay my hat
Reviewed March 20, 2013

You could probably fit the entire of the Gleneagles guest house into the dining room of the Scottish name-cousin, no actual relationship :)

But don't let that put you off, what the Gleneagles lacks in daunting size, it makes up for in just about every other way...

Helpful attentive owner-run establishment with a "bend-over-backwards" level of customer attention and a constant programme of minor hotel improvements means that every return trip to this establishment exceeds the results of the prior.

A great breakfast, freshly cooked to your exact order from a wide range of grade-A local premium produce (no corners cut here, unless you're referring to your toast) seal your perfect nights sleep in any one of the seizable, well thought out, en-suite rooms. And I've slept in just about them all!

I have been using this hotel longer than the current owners have run it and since they have taken it over in late 2012 it's just gone from strength to strength.

It's _always_ my first phone-call when I need Southend Accommodation and should be yours too!

Room Tip: They're all good, clean, sizable and well thought out and equipped. And the suites have lovely h...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Garry L, Owner at Gleneagles Guesthouse, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Xalior. Thank you got your kind comments. It is always pleasing to know that the improvements we are making are being appreciated. I am glad you find our rooms comfortable and that you enjoy the breakfast. We are proud of our achievement to source a number of the ingredients locally. I hope on your next visit you will be be able to sit on the terrace and enjoy a cream tea or light lunch. We look forward to seeing you soon. .
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westcliff-on-Sea
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
Muthu Westcliff Hotel
#2 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
#5 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Ilfracombe House Hotel
Ilfracombe House Hotel
#9 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea

Been to Gleneagles Guesthouse? Share your experiences!