“Convenient”

Westcliff Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Convenient”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This hotel is very convenient to stay in if visiting the Cliffs Pavilion, quite nice reception area, but I think the rooms are a bit overpriced for what they are. Bed was very comfy though and would stay here again as the location was ideal.

Room Tip: We had a view of the Thames Estuary, which was OK, only stayed here this once, so not sure what othe...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
WestMng, Front Office Manager at Westcliff Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
thank you for your review hope to see you again soon, we will allocated a Superior on your next stay. Thanks again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Czech first
Camberley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013

A traditional victorian building which has been recently modernised to a very high standard, reception areas are bright and airey with a large restaurant overlooking the estuary. Just a mile or less from the town centre this is perfectly positioned for the beach, the high street or for parents visiting students at the University. We upgraded to the four poster, sea view room which wasn't cheap but had a double aspect view of the sea front, freshly appointed, modern room with a large bathroom, great shower and spa bath. Only two concerns; one is the lack of off road parking - on a Saturday night we spent 20 mins looking for a place to park on the road and ended up with a 10 minute walk. Suggestion is park early (before 6pm) and don't move your car, or stay out until 10pm when the roads have cleared. Only other issue is noise, some from the sea front and drunken smokers outside the front door and also noise from other guests in nearby rooms. Ear plugs and valet parking would be perfect!

Room Tip: Great views at the front but these are the noisier rooms as they overlook the sea front - your choic...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
WestMng, Reception Manager at Westcliff Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Mr Nic H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback with us. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel facilities and our Four Poster bedroom. Unfortuantely we always have an issue with parking when there is a show at The Cliffs Pavillion.

Essex. U.K
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Views were splendid. Staff were pretty efficient. There was a Victorian charm still present in the hotel. Communal areas and rooms were a bit too over-heated. Beds and bathrooms were very adequate. The cooked breakfast was also good.
The only problem I had (as did another guest in the wedding party) was when I went to pay my drinks tab that was put onto my room bill - I had spent around £40 the night before but my bill was £76. Turns out someone had charged some drinks and food to my room, albeit 15 minutes before I had even arrived to check in.
It was sorted out pretty quickly and I was not embarrassed by the staff, the process did however make me feel intimidated to also mention that I still thought my bill was £10 too high.
I decided not to make a fuss about the £10 as until then things had been pretty good.
But my advice would be if you're staying for a function and likely to spend at the bar - pay by cash

Room Tip: Sea views - goes without saying
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Man-of-leisure
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write your feedback. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the views from the hotel. Unfortunately I was disappointed to hear that you had some issues with the final bill. We do share your comments with the management and have fully investigated the issues you raised. We have revised our procedures in light of your comments for bar and reception staff and hopefully this will prevent any recurrence in the future.

Kind Regards

Essex, UK
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed here before going to see a show at the cliffs pavilion, the receptionist upgraded us for free as it was our anniversary, we got a seafront facing room which was lovely. Hotel has a great charm to it but it is not dated, only problem was that radiator in the bathroom was next to the loo and was warm on your leg!!

Dear Carley,

Thank you for taking your time to share your kind comments with us. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Westcliff Hotel. Congratulations once again on your anniversary. We will pass your comments with regards to the bathroom facilities to our Maintenance Manager.

We look forward to welcome you back in near future.

Hertford
Reviewed October 7, 2013

There was only one bad point about this hotel but it was also a major point and that is the noise levels! There were 2 functions in this hotel on the night we stayed, which meant that we had very loud music pumping up into our bedroom till 1am. Then as the hotel is very old, which means a lot of the doors fit very snuggly into the door frames, we were then subjected to banging doors for the next hour as the guests all finished drinking up and returned to their rooms.

Dear Mrs TMC,

I would like to sincerely apologise that you had a less than perfect experience with us. I can assure you that the management team and I share your concerns about the noise issues you experienced during your visit as it is not the usual standard of comfort that we aim to provide for our guests.

I cannot excuse the lack of control over the noise issues from other guests during the night and the disruption to your stay. I have spoken directly to all the teams involved and corrective action has been taken to ensure that these incidents do not happen again.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that the problems caused you on your recent visit. I would like to thank you for providing us with your feedback as it allows us to continually strive to improve the experience at the Westcliff Hotel.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Southend
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Booked a table for 8 of us including young children for their Carvery, was seated on a lovely big table and the last went and got highchairs and set them up for us, was very quick to take our drinks order and return with them aswell. We booked a table as late as possible so wasn't expecting the amount of food they had which was very nice, the children's plate of food were huge and very good value for money and enjoyed by all. With the choice of meats, potatoes, veg and sauces there was a good variety, very generous with the serving of meat. You are only allowed to go up once but the very nice waitress said if there was anything we needed she would get it for us. After a table of very full and happy people the bill was not disappointed at £9 per person and £5 per child which is very reasonable, will be back again and we came from a recommendation and will be telling others to go as well.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Hannah,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Sunday Carvery in our Lamplight's Restaurant.

Hope to see you soon

Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Don't go to this hotel if you are disabled. I had Afternoon Tea with a group of friends. There were 6 of us. Unfortunately there are steps up to the front door with no slope for me to get up with my walking frame. I had to ring the bell at the front of the Hotel and then walk up the hill at the side of the hotel to find the door in. I was then led in a maze of corridors which was probably the tradesmen's entrance until I finally got to the restaurant to meet up with my friends. Talk about feeling like a second class citizen!!

We were given 2 plates of sandwiches, scones and tiny cakes which meant that there were not enough cakes for us all to sample each mouthful. One of our party asked for some more so that we could all enjoy one of each. They obviously had to be defrosted but we eventually got enough cakes. The scone was home-made and came with cream and jam. The sandwiches were pleasant and there was a good variety. The tea was hot but we had to ask for more milk as insufficient had been put on the table for 6 and one of our party drank her tea black. We felt that the items brought up to us had obviously been out of a fridge for some time as they were quite soft and squidgy.

Some effort could have been made to home bake the tiny cakes as they were obviously just defrosted frozen ones. You can get much better afternoon teas than this. You can get a better tea over the road at the Cliffs for less money. They obviously make no effort to cater for disabled people. Wiould I go again - definitely not!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Reservations W, Manager at Westcliff Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2016
thank you for your review we take note of your comments
with regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westcliff-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,150 reviews
Premier Inn Southend On Sea (Eastern Esplanade) Hotel
Premier Inn Southend On Sea (Eas...
#1 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
#6 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
Gleneagles Guesthouse
Gleneagles Guesthouse
#1 of 5 in Westcliff-on-Sea

Been to Westcliff Hotel? Share your experiences!