“Fantastic”

Muthu Westcliff Hotel
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Beautiful hotel, fabulous reception staff & I am a hotel receptionist myself, so was nice to be greeted in such a friendly manner! Room 101 was stunning, 4 poster bed, lovely views over looking sea & massive jacuzzi bath. Perfect for a night away. We had breakfast included & the breakfast team let the side down, they didn't take our room number, show us to a table, explain where anything was & when we sat at a table, got told we couldn't sit there!!
Could fault hotel at all tho, will be returning & hope to enjoy an afternoon tea next time :0)

Room Tip: Book a sea view, it's stunning to open curtains to look out at passing boats
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reservations W, Manager at Muthu Westcliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2016

thank you for your review we take note of your comments we look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Brilliant hotel, staff very friendly, roons beautifully decorated and the bathroom was beautiful with a rainfall shower and jacuzzi. Really clean, excellent mod cons, great sea views and brilliant buffet breakfast. Great location to go to Adventure island without staying right in Southend, brilliant hotel, would definitely recommend and stay again!

Room Tip: If you are a family of 3 then and bringing your own blow up ready bed call hotel and ask for a large...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Charlotte B

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night in July, got room 201 really big with large bathroon great view of sea. Suitated 10 mins walk from bars and shops. Friendly and helpfull staff dont know what people are moaning about. Its classed as 3* and ive stayed at worse 5*. The breakfast was really good with plenty of variety. Would definatly stay again, well worth the money.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Victorian ? yes, but with a modern feel, nice and clean, with friendly & efficient staff. they have a very good restaurant so there was no need to look for eateries nearby. the view over the gardens and towards the beach was pleasant and interesting with numerous sailing boat activity at high tide.

The lift is small but still functional enough.

I will certainly visit again when in the vicinity as it was a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: I recommend you try to get a room with a beachfront view
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Friendly and helpful staff, comfortable well decorated and clean double room, bar was pleasant and reasonably priced and there was a good breakfast -we went down late and had a short wait for a table as there were two big parties staying. Parking was not too bad given it was a sunny Saturday although I had to go round a few times to get a space. Overall a well priced stay and a good location, and we found it a decent hotel.

Noise issue was because room was first floor at the front of the hotel, right over the main door and at the top of the internal stairs - great view but double noise whammy . Since it was very warm we needed the windows open and we were disturbed by a group of people sitting in the front garden talking loudly until very late, and the road is quite busy traffic wise. I think if the windows were shut this would be much less of a problem. We were also disturbed by guests chatting their way past the bedroom door both going to bed late and going to breakfast so sleep got truncated both ends! I was a bit narked as we had asked for a quiet room (which I was told this was) and I had to use earplugs (which were not totally effective here). For one night it was fine, if I stayed again I would ask for a room on a higher floor and away from the front. But I would consider staying again.

Room Tip: Don't necessarily believe reception if they tell you your room is quiet - go for a high floor...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Linzini

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Now, I'm not one to be disappointed easily, but after the experience I had at this hotel, I felt that it was important to send a warning out to others thinking of booking into the Westwick Hotel.

Myself and my girlfriend booked into the Westwick Hotel for two nights over Sunday and Monday.

We checked into a lovely looking double room. The first thing that struck me hard, was the temperature inside the room. It was horrendously hot. My phone (Galaxy S4), has an in-built thermometer, so we were able to record in room temperatures.

That night, it was recorded as 36C inside the room. Both of us barely had any sleep.

We spoke to the receptionist the next morning, who kindly said that they will make sure that a fan will be left inside the room.

Later that night, we arrived back to the room.....and guess what? No fan....

We headed back to the reception and they said unfortunately they have given out all the fans to the other guests....

Our second night trying to sleep, and this time the temperature was recorded as 38C inside the room....My girlfriend had massive headaches to which she had to rush to the reception to get hold of ibuprofen...

Now, we paid around £140 for the two nights....

I've paid for less in other hotels, in which we've had AIR CONDITIONING, or at LEAST a fan provided!

We spoke to the deputy manager and explained the situation, who told us there was nothing they could do as they never had enough fans.....

Well, sorry to say this....they are very quick to take my £140 from my account, yet not give anything in return when they screw up like this.

Sleep is very important, and our whole holiday was ruined all thanks to the lack of air conditioning inside the hotel!

We will surely never return to the Westwick Hotel again.

If the temperatures of Southend on Sea was not so high over the course of those days, then most possibly we would not have been in this situation.

Though if you are planning to book into this hotel over the summer....beware of the lack of air conditioning....

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jordan B

thank you for your review we take note of your comments

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel whilst working in Southend for a week.

Upon arrival the staff were friendly. My room was adequate for a single room, although the bathroom was pokey.

In the bathroom as you stepped out of the shower there was a rotten floorboard that gave way as you stepped out and throughout the week a strong smell of stagnant water. On the first night I was there, housekeeping knocked on my door to ask if everything was ok and I reported this smell, the guy came in to check and agreed with me. However, not once was the problem sorted in the whole week and the smell just got worse.

My other gripe is the fact that the room was not hoovered once in my whole stay. I know this as fluff from my socks just built up day by day. Not very good for a hotel!

The bar and meals here were OK - nothing much to report other than average.

On the whole, this hotel is OK for a short business stay - would I choose to stay here again? Probably not due to the cleanliness.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

thank you for your review we take note of your comments
with regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Westcliff-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 20 in Southend-on-Sea
Roslin Beach Hotel
Roslin Beach Hotel
#2 of 2 in Thorpe Bay
Ilfracombe House Hotel
Ilfracombe House Hotel
#9 of 20 in Southend-on-Sea
Premier Inn Southend On Sea (Eastern Esplanade) Hotel
Premier Inn Southend On Sea (Eas...
#4 of 20 in Southend-on-Sea
Holiday Inn Southend
Holiday Inn Southend
#7 of 20 in Southend-on-Sea
The Last Post
The Last Post
#5 of 20 in Southend-on-Sea

Been to Muthu Westcliff Hotel? Share your experiences!