“birthday evening meal”

Muthu Westcliff Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“birthday evening meal”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

As a birthday treat my family of eight organised for me a show at the nearby cliffs pavilion and a pre show meal at the westcliff hotel lamplight restaurant.Upon arrival the staff were very helpfull .We had pre meal drinks in the nicely decorated bar.However confusion set in when we tried to order from the main menu as there were offers of wine included with main options for two .The waitress could not understand that we wanted to order a starter before our main meal and said that the offer of wine included with the main meal for two could not be done as we were ordering a starter this was eventualy sorted out by a more senior waiter who was very helpfull we later discoversd that the waiteress's english was not very good and could not understand what we wanted. When the meals arrived the starters were fine however the mains were not three of us had ordered rump steak the menu stated that the steak was of prime cut and hung for 28 days in our case we believe that this was not the case the steak was hard to cut even with a serated knife and was hard to chew and allmost inedible .The price for the main meal for two was very expensive even though it included a bottle or wine for two. At this stage it was to late to complain as we would have missed the opening of the show and because of the missunderstanding with the wine there was a disinct atmosfere from the staff.All said that they would never eat there again there are many better restaurants localy wth better choices and better value for money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Reservations W, Manager at Muthu Westcliff Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2016
thank you for your review we take note of your comments
regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Czech first
london england
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Lovely trip to Southend but was not happy with the Hotel and thought it was expensive for what it was, staff very helpful and friendly but the room was like a shoe box. The bathroom was very very small and only had a shower, if it wasnt for the beautiful weather on our visit, which meant we could go out all day, I think we would have gone mad in the room.
However very clean and tidy but dont book here if you want a large room unless you specifcally ask for a larger room which I am not sure comes at a cost ???????

Room Tip: Make sure you ask if you have a large room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
WestMng, Front Office Manager at Muthu Westcliff Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear luvusa13

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Westcliff Hotel during your recent visit to Southend.

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay: I would very much like the opportunity to discuss the matter further with you so that I can personally look into your concerns. Please contact me at your convenience on 01702 345247.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed here on business. The bedrooms were small, the bathrooms even smaller and if you wanted to turn around in the shower you had to virtually get out first! Breakfast was even worse - we arrived at 9.25 to find very little in the cooked buffet and were told more was to come. As we weren't the only ones waiting the moment it did arrive it disappeared before we even got to the queue. Waiting patiently again, the chef appeared at 9.55 and turned off the heat trays and started removing what was left. When we asked him what was going on, he replied that we should have been down earlier! The so-called-manager was summoned and rather than apologising said she was on to it and left us to it. 15 minutest later 4 breakfasts arrived and she disappeared. Add this to no parking (we had to get a taxi from where we were working as there was no way we could park less than a 10 minute walk away), cold water in the shower and reception staff that were less than helpful, it was not a good stay - would we come back... definitely not.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Itsnottricky
WestMng, Front Office Manager at Muthu Westcliff Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Guest

I am very sorry to read that you had a less than perfect experience at the Westcliff Hotel and I sincerely apologise for the problems you encountered during your stay.

I would like to assure you that I have spoken to the team members involved and corrective action has been taken to ensure that these isolated incidents do not happen again.

Front of House Manager

Travelers are raving about these Westcliff-on-Sea hotels

northants
Reviewed March 4, 2013

As former residents of southend wemet our family here for memory lane weekend. we recomended the westcliff as my wife & i stayed here last year our famil loved the hotel. its being redecorated at the moment but we were not troubled at all.reception staff very good also restaurant staff good especially lucy, breakfast buffet also good.bar area etc very comfortable. all in all very nice place will be back next year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest

Thank you very much for your kind review.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will ensure that your comments are passed onto Lucy and the rest of the staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Pleasantly surprised by our one night stay at this hotel. The hotel is in a prime position, walking distance to the town centre and theatre. Lovely receptionist who made us feel very welcome without being overintrusive. This set our weekend off to a good start. The hotel is stylish inside with lots of character, the restaurant looked impressive though we did not eat there and they did do special deals. Our room was huge, clean and comfortable, largest room I have stayed in in this country. Bed linen luxurious as was decor. Mattress a bit hard for me but when I mentioned this on our departure was told I could have had a mattress topper and they would keep a note on my records for if we stayed again, I may add this was my personal preference my partner thought it was fine. Would definitely recommend and would stay there again. Ten our of ten for customer service to the first class receptionist.

Room Tip: you pay for extra for a sea view for which you need to stay at the front of the hotel, we were at th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dayatthecoast
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you received such a warm welcome. Please contact me directly when you want to book again and I will look after all aspects of your reservation for you.

Linford, Essex.
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Most of the hotel staff were friendly and helpful.
The room was decorated nicely, but was dusty, cobwebs around the curtains/windows and bin not being emptied from a previous guest were a bit off putting. As was the mould around the bathroom window and bath.
We had a room at the back of the hotel, which was very quite and we did sleep really well, bed and pillows very comfortable.
Breakfast was very good, with plenty of cooked food, cereals and fruits to choose from.
Value for money reasonable. Would think about staying at the Westcliff hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
thank you for your review we take note of your comments
Harlow
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed here as I has tickets to see Paloma Faith at the Cliffs Pavillion which is literally a 30 second walk away...absolutely brilliant location.
The receptionist (from Manchester) was absolutely lovely & friendly and gave us a great welcome. Our twin room was on the 2nd floor and was huge! It had amazing sea views, 2 x double beds and was very nicely decorated. The bathroom was up a couple of steps, sort of round the corner, so it felt like we had a small apartment! Lovely shower & plenty of hot water.

The only moan I would have was about the bar, very very slow service...well that's when you could actually find the barman!! The bar stated that it was open to residents until 2am, but when I asked for 2 Irish coffees at about midnight, the barman said that he had turned the machine off. When I said that I could see the lights on the coffee machine were still on, he said that he meant he didn't want to serve coffee as he hadn't cleaned it. Basically, he wasn't happy that he had to make Irish Coffees...it was too much hassle. I asked to speak to the manager and lo and behold he said he would make them!

The breakfast was great, everything you could want and the waitresses were friendly and helpful.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Reservations W, Owner at Muthu Westcliff Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2016
thank you for your review we take note of your comments we are a good location for the Cliffs Pavilion lots of guests and acts stay with us on a regular basis
regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westcliff-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Park Inn by Radisson Palace Sout...
#12 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
#14 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea
The Last Post
The Last Post
#5 of 19 in Southend-on-Sea

Been to Muthu Westcliff Hotel? Share your experiences!