“Food:tasty, price:expensive, owner:terrible”

Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Have just returned home after my first visit to this restaurant and felt I needed to write this review. We sat at the teppanyaki grill and had a delicious meal cooked right in front of us by a talented chef. My 10 year old daughter enjoyed trying new foods and thoroughly enjoyed herself watching the chef perform! The food was fresh and tasty, especially the steak and seabass, but very over-priced. We enjoyed a bottle of wine, but at £50, again extremely over-priced! Our bill came to £165.90 (service charge had already been added) and my partner was happy to pay this, as we had a really enjoyable evening. He left £165 in cash and as we were leaving the owner approached him asking for the 90p.........we couldn't believe it!!!!!!!!! The fact that we had paid a massive bill already, including £50 for a bottle of wine AND paid the added service charge just didn't seem enough for the owner!! Service charge is paid at your discretion anyway, so it is down to the customer how much they feel should be left as a tip. We were shocked by the owner's behaviour and it ruined my partners night. What a shame.........other diners beware!!!

7  Thank Lady_of_Leigh

Reviewed September 23, 2012

The restaurant is awesome. Slightly expensive in some respects but it was 105 including service charge for 2 of us both of us had tepanyaki set menu which included a salad a miso soup then rice with chicken and steak and I also had prawns and seabass with mine too as well as 1 glass of wine 2 cocktails and 3 beers so not too bad at all just looks expensive on the menu! Great fun and really interactive the chef was brilliant. 10/10 we will return my wife wants the table for her birthday now

1  Thank dannhev
Reviewed September 9, 2012

For my mums birthday, we went to Fujiyama, a japanese restaurant in Leigh. The service was second to none, as was the entire expereince - we watched the chefs cook the food right in front of us & were given gowns to wear over our clothes in case we were splashed with oil or fat. The food is fabulous there, but if you are going for the experience as well, it can get a little pricey

1  Thank Chilli H
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I went to the Fujiyama restaurant for the first time recently with my family (so 4 people in total including one fussy vegetarian and my parents) and at first, we were unsure on how things worked, but the friendly staff there were ready to explain things to us rookies. The set meals start off with a salad, then a soup, followed by several courses and fried rice, and ended with a refreshing plate of mixed fruit. My sister, the fussy vegetarian, was scared that she would have nothing to eat, but fortunately they have a specific vegetarian Teppanyaki set meal which was perfect for her, and I ordered the meat set. The chef who cooked in front of us on the grill was friendly, and he showcased all his skills. The highlight of the evening was when he set up a large flame to literally 'flame grill' the fillet steak! It was spectacular and it really added a very good taste to the steak. My parents decided to go for the deluxe set (which was all fancy and included lobster and scallops!) as they were celebrating their anniversary. We had a lovely bottle of rose champagne to top it off, as well as a lot of other drinks too. There was an interesting cocktail saki, which looked and tasted brilliant. The bill came to about £250 and it was well worth it. We will certainly go back soon to try the sushi because we were told by other customers that it was very fresh and tasty. Well worth it!

1  Thank Tracy J
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We went here in a family group of 9 so we had the whole tepanyaki table to ourselves (apart from 2 men together on the end which was fine). I would definitely recommend going for the Teppanyaki table's if you can, it is alot of fun and the set menu's are much better value than the ala carte menu. Some of us went for the meat set menu (chicken, steak, pork) and others went for the seafood (giant prawns, cod, salmon), but we all also got salad, miso soup, noodles & vegetables. The food is cooked infront of you on hot plates and served course by course (about 6-7 courses in total) followed by ice cream and fruit cut into pretty shapes. 7 out of the 9 of us were drinking alcohol and the bill came to around £40 per person, very good value. We also got Japanese robes to wear which made it that bit more fun :)