“An unusual hotel, full of Victoiana, and Antiques”

The Rose House Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Westcliff-on-Sea
The Rose House Hotel
Cleethorpes
“An unusual hotel, full of Victoiana, and Antiques”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

If you are like antiques / memorabilia / Victoriana , or bric brac , you’ll love this hotel. The front reception room is in every way a reconstruction of a typical Victorian parlour. The hall / entrance area, has all sorts of curious articles dotted around, for instance antique furniture , an old workplace clocking on machine, a mannequin in old naval uniform, another in Tower of London Beefeater’s costume. Celebrities who have stayed there in the past have left signed photos which are also displayed , I spotted the “Chuckle Brothers” and “John Inman”.
On the ground floor is a small bar area, with dozens of Toby Jugs, and vintage bottles of beer on shelves. If your visiting from overseas, and want to experience the “typical “ English pub, you’d love this bar area.
Beyond here is the long dining room. Again the walls are covered with plates, and more Toby jugs. One corner has a huge vintage rocking horse! The gardens through the patio doors looked equally fascinating, from our breakfast table I could see giant Gnomes!
Breakfast was full English, and was a good size, with the option of Black pudding. The breakfast came with toast, and more was provided upon request. There wasn’t a cereal option, and I didn’t see any laid out. I would have liked the opportunity too. When it comes to hot drinks, this hotel provided awful tea! My wife prefers Earl Grey, I just like ordinary Tesco, PG Tips etc. Whatever the tea was, neither of us could bear it! Coffee was better though. A kettle, and tea/coffee facilities were provided in the bedroom, but the tea was the same here.
We were told our hand carved wooden bed was 240 years old, and from French Chateau. It was indeed an impressive bed, and for myself it was a pleasure to sleep in such a wonderful bed. There wasn’t much room around the bed it has to be said, I didn’t mind that much but my wife thought it cramped. The small bathroom, and shower was off the room through some Louvre doors. Our room was on the front of the building, and it was lovely to have a view across the River Thames.
We only met and spoke to one member of staff. A nice elderly Irish man who told us he’d just past his 20th anniversary of owning the hotel. The same man took our payment, showed us our rooms, and served us at breakfast!
I liked this hotel, and would definitely stay again, my wife wasn’t so keen and wouldn’t stay again! I’ve tried to give the best impression I can so you, like we, can make a judgement on two reviews, rather that just the one, that was on Trip advisor when we booked.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank stevep3919

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Leeds
Reviewed August 31, 2011

My sister and i,went to stay at the Hotel.As it was bank holiday weekend we were in Westcliff on Sea,seeing our dad,who lives nearby.The Hotel,is very unusual,as it is pretty basic,a bit chintzy,but clean and tidy.Hot water was an absolute must and there was plenty of that.The owners,Joseph and Muriel were wonderful.Also the lovely fella,Gilbert.If  there was something you needed,they would always oblige without question.The hotel is rather old fashioned with all sorts of oddities and knick knacks,but it was a pleasure to stay there.We did have our doubts when we first walked in,but as we got to know the couple,we could not have felt more welcomed.Breakfast was full english and there was plenty of bacon,two plumpy sausages and the rest that goes with a full english.Hairdryers and ironing you just had to ask.All in all,if you want four star accommodation,just go to the big expensive hotels.If you want homely and quirky,then this is the place for you.The Hotel is situated right near to the Seafront,parking is available,but a bit limited.My sister and i,have both said we would definitely go back,even if it is just to see Joseph and Muriel,not forgetting Gilbert.

Room Tip: On arrival you pay upfront,cards are chargeable.Cash would be best.