Pavilion Hotel
The Last Post(Southend-on-Sea)
  • Restaurant
Terrace Hotel(Westcliff-on-Sea)
View Hotel
All reviewsson georgeboutique experiencecliffs paviliona lovely cooked breakfastnext morningthoroughly enjoyed my staypleasant stayfull englishtea and coffee facilitiescomfortable bedssea frontsea viewgeorginasouthendcerealmirrorkettle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We booked into this hotel at short notice as the venue of my stepson's wedding had changed at short notice. We were really surprised this was available and I double checked everything with the Portuguese sounding lady who answered the phone - yes, they definately had a en-suite double room for the night - I ensured she had my name and I provided my phone number. When we arrived the main door was closed. I eventually resorted to getting on my hands and knees and calling through the letterbox! A man appeared from down the road, dressed in overalls covered in paint, asking what I wanted. I said we were booked - he unlocked the door and checked the register. He asked if I was Susan - I said I wasn't - he asked if I was sure I wasn't Susan. My partner was waiting on double yellow lines, further down the road with steam coming out of his ears by this stage. It transpired that his mother had taken my call - assuring me that all would be well, when I get the impression that this is a common practice from her! There was double en-suite. As we had only 1 hour left before the start of the wedding, we were forced to stay in the mankiest (no other description can conjure up the image I have), double room in the whole of Westcliff! I could truly type for hours on the state of this place but to keep it short, please do not stay there! The woman is con merchant of the highest order!

Room Tip: No two things in the rooms matched - tea bags were in an ice cream tub!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Janice M
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Although the British seaside has not enjoyed the best of weather this year and the one we chose for a weekend in Southend was a little chilly, our stay at the Pavilion Hotel was very pleasant and enjoyable, certainly making up for the lack of sun. The hotel is a very friendly place and we were made extremely welcome by the owners. Our room was spacious and comfortable and the english breakfast was delicious. I must say its very nice to find a B&B so full of traditional seaside charm.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank AJTLondon501
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We booked into this Hotel going on the website photos of basic but OK rooms albiet overpriced at £60 per room a night hoping for a nice short stay. Although we paid for a 2 star accomodation at the Pavilion on arrival we were led to Georges Guest House a few doors along; George is the son of the lady who runs the Pavilion, and this was like taking a trip back in time but not a pleasant one. The best thing that can be said was that the rooms were clean. The en-suite was a not too generous add on to the room with a flimsy broken pull across door, the furniture was a mix of 50's (maybe 40's) wardrobe and side tables, a very uncomfortable bed and the most miss matched bed linen and towels you could imagine. Next morning after a poor nights rest breakfast was eventually served back at the Pavilion where we heard from one of the long term guests that often Georges was used for DSS, homeless etc. . We were at the least misled about the accommodation and certainly paid well over the odds for the extremely basic room we had and if we had time we would have gone elsewhere, unfortunately my partner was asked to pay upfront and now we know why. My partner was almost in tears.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kenco64
Reviewed September 19, 2011

After reading the not so good reviews below we were a bit dubious about staying here, however we then saw the good reviews, and are very glad we decided to stay at the family run Pavilion hotel. After arriving late due to car trouble, we were very warmly welcomed by the staff Georgina and George. They instantly made us feel very welcome and were very accomadating. We booked a family room (which was actually at Georges guest house 2doors up) as we had my toddling son with us. We found the room very spacious (plenty of room for a travel cot) clean and comfortable. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble, George even brought up a microwave for us to use in our room! Breakfast was served in the Pavilion hotel between 7-9, and was lovely and the atmosphere was good too. All the guest's seemed happy and the staff were lovely. We would definately stay there again and would recommened this place to our friends and family.
Thank you to all the staff at the Pavilion and Georges guest house. We'll see you again soon. Dave Nemi & Jj

Room Tip: Family rooms were very big with ensuite shower room and toilet, 1 double bed, 1 single bed, furniture and still space for a travel cot.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank nemi_nemo-x-
Reviewed February 4, 2011

i booked the hotel over the phone after viewing the hotel on the internet and then i read the poor reviews and was worried that i had made a big mistake as we were going to a funeral and we did not need any confrontation as we had a hard day ahead of us , but how wrong the reviews were , the hotel is basic and clean which was what we needed and when we arrived we were made to feel welcome by the old lay as the reviews put it but we called her angelina . we stayed for two days and the room was clean and tidy , breakfast was good and the conversation with the other guests was good as most hotels we have stayed in no one speaks , but overall i would stay again and as i have said before we were made welcome and you cant ask for anything more thanks anjelina .

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple