“Set Menu?”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Scenic view, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 4, 2017

We went with friends to this restaurant last Saturday for dinner.
The ambiance of the restaurant is very nice and contrary to some previous reviews we found that both the manager and staff we really friendly and very professional.
The 2 course set menu was excellent value and the portion sizes were good and the food was delicious.
My only complaint that I have is that all 4 main courses from the Set Menu were served without any vegetables which I find very strange.
I have been to lots of other restaurants and chosen the excellent value set menu but this very the first occasion that I have been served a main course with vegetables unless you wanted to buy them separately which negates the reason for a " Set Menu"
This is the only reason I did not award them 5 Stars.

1  Thank Ztilb
Write a ReviewReviews (1,006)

Reviewed December 1, 2017 via mobile

Well back at the lovely Toulouse always a winner in my eyes.
Due to circumstances, haven’t been for a while.
Great to be back, the staff are so lovely
All three of us chose the Turkey dinner, a very good choice, but a very large meal.
We thought it would be quite large so did not choose a starter, although we had a while you wait dish, consisting of three dips and croutons. The dips were crab, humous and smoked salmon, so tasty.
The main meal lived up to my expectations, turkey, parsnip, pig in blanket, stuffing, red cabbage, green cabbage and gorgeous roast potatoes. Not to mention the tasty gravy.
Two of us had the Christmas pudding for dessert, good flavour with the taste of brandy very scrumptious, the other member of our group chose the amaretto and Baileys tiramisu.
Excellent meal left the venue very satisfied.

Reviewed November 23, 2017 via mobile

We had a family reunion Sunday lunch there and everyone really enjoyed it. My Maldon oysters were briny and plump and everyone’s entrees were pronounced excellent. One steak, two lamb, and two fish.
We had one member in a wheelchair and the staff was accommodating and helpful beyond expectations.
The view over the river and the sunset was perfect
My only complaint was that it was quite noisy and thus diffucult to hear what everyone ar my table was saying...
Would recommend this place very highly.

Reviewed November 22, 2017 via mobile

Another great Southend area restaurant- lovely views, service good - great menu choice - superbly cooked. Proper Sunday great.

Reviewed November 16, 2017 via mobile

We booked at 6.30pm and got the early bird menu. Although we’ve been several times in the last couple of years, we’d missed the demise of the ‘seafood platter for two’. Shame!

Good service, as ever, but the cod was a little watery and lacked taste. The other two meals were fine. This is the early bird menu and £60 got three meals. I’d already recommended Toulouse to a couple early in the day, and will continue to do so.