“Not bad, a few minor tweaks needed”

Ed's Easy Diner - Lakeside
Ranked #24 of 45 Restaurants in West Thurrock
Cuisines: American
Kent, United Kingdom
“Not bad, a few minor tweaks needed”
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

Popped in here with my husband for a quick dinner. It was pretty quick just a 10 minute wait for our food. We had unlimited refills on soft drinks (coke, diet coke, sprite & lemonade) be careful they do cherry coke and other soft drinks which aren't free refills. One downer on the drinks, they weren't very fizzy.

My husband had the pulled pork burger which looked nice and he said was good, I had a cheeseburger which was tasty. The buns were good quality and not dry which was nice; served with chips, coleslaw & onion rings. The onion rings were proper rings of ring not bought in rubbish. The chips were frozen unfortunately. If only they did fresh chips; much better I think. Now I don't know if it was me, but the coleslaw tasted off. Admittedly I am pregnant, the veg in it was crunchy and fresh but the mayo dressing had a funny twang.

Overall, it wasn't a bad experience and I'd maybe go back. Staff were very friendly and smiley, I can't fault that at all :)

1 Thank KatyJB

Colchester, United Kingdom
“brunch”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

The breakfast was small and the eggs overdone service on the slow side even when the place was half empty average price for where it is, the only good thing I can say was that the american theme decor looked authentic sort of !

• Visited January 2014
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“First visit whilst shopping”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

This was our first visit to ED's Diner, we normally avoid burger-type eateries as my wife is not a fan of burgers. On this occasion our usual restaurant was closed so we tried Ed's. We found the staff to be friendly and welcoming and the menu had a good selection of burgers. I chose to upgrade my burger meal to include chips, onion rings, and coleslaw. all were delicious. My wife had a classic burger with a huge side of chips. We both remarked that the burgers were of a much better quality than other popular outlets we have visited, large drinks included refills if required and therefore good value. Luckily for me my wife is now happy to revisit Ed's Diner. Although we cannot comment on the childrens' menus, there were many families eating there, all seeming to be enjoying the experience.

• Visited January 2014
Garden of ENGLAND
“Burnt cold chips”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Decided to treat family as Eds Diner looked quirky and like a diner visited overseas, what a let down. The drinks finally arrived with ice although requested without, meals slow and cold burnt chips looked like they hadn't changed the oil in a few months as covered in black bits. On calling the waitress was treated rather like a pariah and was given a fresh portion but no offer to change the other diners chips till asked. Overall it was overpriced dull food and will not eat there again

Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Poor quality experience, premium prices”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

A cool diner experience with quality food and American style service? No.

First of all, I was kept waiting unnecessarily to be seated when there was plenty of space. Then the food itself was pretty poor but passable except for the cheesy chips which I expected to be topped with a nice cheddar instead of drenched in the most disgusting cheese sauce I could imagine. It's making me ill just thinking about it. The burger was well cooked but far from a premium burger that you might get downstairs at GBK on The Boardwalk. The only saving grace was the excellent butterscotch milkshake which made at least two glass fills.

However, this is no value diner and there is no excuse for the food quality at such premium prices. Great concept but poorly executed; I'd rather go to McDonalds at the low end or GBK for a premium, but still good value, experience. I won't be returning to Ed's.

• Visited December 2013