Tripadvisor
Waltham Abbey
All reviews leisure facilities swimming pool steam room and sauna the ground floor epping forest afternoon tea an overnight stay full english stansted airport motorway venue
Selected filters
Reviewed January 9, 2020

Good service, Good bed and breakfast. Fitness and pool was good, however I do think the bathrooms in the rooms need abit of TLC. Also the Tv wasn’t working and when the engineer came up he didn’t really fix it though he did try to. Other than that was an amazing stay would definitely recommend!

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2020

We came to the New Year's Eve gala overnight party.
The welcome and check in was Brillant.
The room on the ground floor was excellent. Clean and bright with a welcome tea tray.
Lovely bar area.
There were 10 of us and we all agreed it would be difficult to get anywhere better.
The food was great. The only thing was that the band did not arrive until 10.30 pm which was very late. They were disappointing as the music was not encouraging to dance to at first. You could only make out the drumming.The disco was better and you could tell as people all got up to dance.. The first year we came to this party we had a Michael Buble impersonator and he was great. This band has been on for the last 3years.Time for a change.
Breakfast the next morning was lovely.

Date of stay: December 2019
Reviewed December 23, 2019 via mobile

Stayed a few times with no big issues, however in the last visit I experienced terrible customer service which was further aggravated by the front desk assistant manager, front of house service.
We were threatened to leave, due to miscommunication among staff and the manager felt the resolution was for us to leave. Feeling unwelcome and ignored we left. The general manager by his own admission acknowledges the poor service and miscommunication we experienced and whilst being apologetic for this unpleasant experience cannot compensate for the time wasted and no apology has been given from the manager who felt it necessary to raise their voice. One bad experience outshines any good experiences because I left insulted and question the professional integrity of this front desk manager. Furthermore, having paid for a superior room and then being informed the only difference between this and a deluxe are the amenities (bath robe, slippers and chargeable espresso coffee) it doesn't seem worth the additional money.
The room sizes are the same.
The hotel itself is dated and this is evident as you walk through, I wouldn't recommend it based on the service I received. As a 4 star hotel, I expect more courtesy and not be left and ignored for an hour and a half.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Originalnutter
MRegen, General Manager at Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2019

Dear Originalnutter

Thank you for sharing your recent experience not only with us direct at the hotel and our customer service team but here on TripAdvisor as well.

As per our previous communications I appreciate your side of the events and again would like to convey my apologies for the miscommunication between team members regarding the room allocation subsequently leading to some unnecessary inconvenience. In addition, I would like to reiterate that the perceived lack of courtesy displayed by our Duty Manager was by no way intended at all nor to be interpreted as a threat as he was merely trying to assist and to find an amicable solution to the situation, which seemed not to be achievable.

Furthermore and to put more balance to the situation, he was supporting one of our reception associates who was spoken to in what was strongly perceived as an unacceptable manner which is something that we as a hotel and employer do not condone.

Once again thank you for sharing your experience.

Reviewed November 22, 2019

Used this hotel coffee shop for a meeting in May this year as it was a mutually suitable for both parties. As a patron, I understood from the signage we would not have to pay for parking after paying the bill, I forgot to enter my reg plate into the system (my mistake admittedly, but a nudge from the staff would have been nice). I received a £100 fine in the post shortly afterwards, to which I responded with a query, along with a receipt from my trip with my apologies.

My appeal was denied, and I am currently fighting a small claims court process from the parking company, who have taken no regard that I was a patron at the hotel.

BEWARE OF THESE PARKING COMPANIES, THEY WILL STING YOU!

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled on business
MRegen, General Manager at Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2019

Dear Alex S

Thank you for your review here on TripAdvisor.

We are the ideal meeting place for short meetings due to our proximity to the M25 and J26 and I am sorry to hear that your received a ticket following your visit in May and that the Car Parking Management Company has not replied favourably yet. Have you contacted the hotel to see if we can help as we could verify that you have been a guest at the hotel ?

If you have not contacted us, please do so and we may be able to help, however, this can not be guaranteed.

Kind regards

Reviewed November 19, 2019 via mobile

Been here a few times, never been met down. I still call it the Swallow Hotel as it was done 20 years ago.

Quiet, comfy, good sized TV, some SKY and Internet TV feeds.

Good sized rooms, hot shower, the sort of place you could bring the girl from accounts without breaking the expenses budget.

Date of stay: November 2019
Trip type: Traveled on business
MRegen, General Manager at Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2019

Hello AATommy

Thank you for your review here on TripAdvisor.

Your comments are much appreciated and we are delighted to read as well that you are a loyal customer to the hotel over the last 20 years. The name above the hotel may have changed, but the team here is focused as always to ensure all our guests have a great and relaxing time.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.