“Great Experience”

Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Waltham Abbey
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Not the cheapest place in the world, but the staff and facilities we very good.
As the Previous reviewer we were there to surprise her and enjoy a nice meal
The Menu had changed from the one they had send out, but everybody didn't have an issue finding something they liked
My only slight niggle was the way the bill is presented, this resulted in a visit to the front desk to get an explanation, the bill was correct in the end if a little high for an overnight stay and drinks

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We went to this hotel as a birthday surprise. Everything was spot on - every member of staff was friendly, approachable and helpful.
We had a lovely light lunch before the rest of our party tried out the leisure facilities and I was treated to a massage and a facial. Again the staff were friendly, professional and very good at what they do.
More friends joined us for a fantastic evening meal and again the waiting staff were attentive and we loved the idea of the wine tasting table!!
Breakfast was the only let down - we booked a table the night before only to be told in the morning they didn't accept bookings.....
Overall the whole weekend was excellent and I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I had to visit this hotel to attend a course on a Sunday morning in one of the hotel's conference suites.

As it was a Sunday and I was attending a function at the Hotel I blissfully ignored the signs regarding parking. I asked Reception on the way in - no problem. Two weeks later a demand for £60.00 by way of a parking charge from a third party company to whom the Hotel had delegated the task of ripping off vistors. This is a disgrace and a blantant rip off - Marriott haven't heard the last from me on this subject.

Furthermore a visit to the toilets was pretty ghastly as they were dirty and claerly hadn't been cleaned for some time. Let me assiure people reading this review that there are better places to stay in the area than this hotel - avoid at all costs

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank NABAVEY
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had our honeymoon night here over 20 years ago. It was very new and we were well looked after. Very memorable.

Had a great meal here and have been to a few very nice Christmas functions. Well done Marriott. You host a good party.

We stayed a couple of years ago. Booked an upgraded suite. Not as nice as advertised on the website but Ok. It was very clean and comfortable apart from the leaking ceiling which ruined a very expensive pair of shoes. No alternative room was available so had to smile politely with a £50 voucher offered by the manager for dinner at a later date after numerous emails. Vowed we would never return.

Going to give them the benefit of the doubt this weekend coming. We have booked a night here for our wedding anniversary (old times sake) and hubbys birthday. Lets hope our upgraded room is not as bad as the last. I will review our experience next week....

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank heavenhols
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Friendly is simply the way to describe this hotel. Is it this part of the Greater London area? Even my taxi drivers to/from the train station were outstandingly friendly and helpful, and that friendliness didn't stop at the door of the hotel. I had to wait a little in the check-in queue - nothing extreme, but the guy working the desk apologized several times. He was so efficient and kind that I wouldn't have been upset at any rate. I ordered room service breakfast a bit late the next morning - no problem. The room service woman acted as if I was the first and most wonderful customer she'd served that morning. The check-out was similarly friendly.

The hotel itself is certainly up to Marriott's standard. The general sitting area beyond the lobby seemed a little cavernous and the architecture, which was slightly dated, will likely only date more - but people didn't seem to mind, as the place was full of business travellers chatting away. It was a nice atmosphere. If only I was an extrovert, I probably would have returned to have a drink. But as I'm a bit more introverted, I chose to stay in my bedroom. This was not a bad choice, as the room is spacious (such a luxury anywhere in London), spotlessly clean, and with Marriott's usual comfortable beds and soft pillows. Thank you Marriott for those soft pillows. I'm a light sleeper, and soft pillows work well when thrown over one's head to block out light or noise - not that there was much of any of either in this hotel. The room was quiet and the curtains blacked out the room nicely. It's the small stuff, isn't it? I love hotels that have good, heavy curtains that overlap each other to block out light, have hair dryers and light sockets somewhere near a mirror (this hotel got BOTH right - a miracle!), good towels (tick), real soap (tick), good room service (tick), and free internet. This hotel didn't have the latter. In fact, internet in the room was a whopping 6 pounds. That was perhaps the only drawback to the hotel (well, that and there isn't high speed rail access to inner London from Waltham Abbey. It took over 40 minutes to get from Liverpool Street to Waltham Abbey. Ack.

Nevermind though - if you're going to Harry Potter studios and have a car and are willing to drive just a little bit extra, this would be a good hotel. Or, if you have business in North London, this would be a good hotel.

A nice stay at a very reasonable price for London. Thanks Marriott.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I have stayed here a couple of times and I have been very impressed each time. This time though I took the kids and booked interconnecting rooms and we were blown away by the size of both rooms.

The kids room was very large with 2 double beds this room led on to our room which had a very comfortable queen size bed. Both rooms were immaculately clean and both en-suite. The shower so was hot and powerful we did not want to get out.

Breakfast has a very good fresh range including make your own waffles which the kids loved. All the staff are very helpful and pleasant. I would recommend this hotel if you are a family especially for those with more than 2 children. It can be a little bit pricey but I have learnt you get what you pay for.

I didn't use the spa so I am unable to comment on this.

Room Tip: Great if you are a family of 5 or more!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Loubieloulondon
Reviewed September 9, 2013

As Marriott's go, this one has to be up there, and that's saying quite a lot.

It's a bit out of the way for London tourists, it's really for car travellers, but the building and grounds are well presented. The staff were particularly helpful and friendly. We had dinner and breakfast there, buffet both times, and the food and service were good.

I can understand those reviewers who didn't like their parking charges, it's not in the centre of a city or anything, but for me my beef was the wifi. Yes, it's free in the reception and dining areas, but you have to pay for access in your room. Very 1990's, and at £6 an hour or £15 a day for full access, it's steep.

But other than that, it's a good hotel, with clean and comfortable rooms, and a decent restaurant. And you would also like the pool.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the end of a corridor, unless they can guarantee that their guests will be quiet afte...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Cheshunt
Premier Inn London Enfield Hotel
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
De Vere Theobalds Estate

Been to Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!