“Great service!”

Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Waltham Abbey
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in January for almost a week. The room was spacious and had everything I needed.

Bed was very comfortable and I must say that the array of pillows was astnishing: flat, foam, feather everything you need!

The staff was very nice. We had a warm welcome at the Front Desk and the girl checking us in was very helpful and so polite! Smiling all the time!

We enjoyed the breakfast choice with full English which was very nice.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 18, 2013

had a weekend stay what a fantastic time we had the staff are so attentive nothing was to much trouble had lovely room 207 .dinner and breakfast both really nice will be staying again. would of like to of been nearer to town as bar very expensive. think parking charges are a bit strange considering free parking across the road but on the whole had a great time

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have just returned from staying at the hotel for a two night package which included dinner. The room we were given was very spacious with two good sized beds, it was nice that the children had the use of a proper bed rather than camp beds that some hotels provide. The staff were very friendly and sought to ensure that our children were made to feel very welcome. The food was excellent and we were impressed by the choice on offer at breakfast. Unlike other guests we had no issues with parking and were requested to enter our registration number on check in. The leisure facilities were superb and it was fantastic that a children's pool is available. We travelled into central London from the local train station in less than half an hour and for us this worked very well with our plans. We would not hesitate to stay here again as we had such a good experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Visited the hotel for a dinner dance and later found out that I had a parking fine! One does not expect a out of town hotel to charge for car parking. Saw no visible signs...complete rip off! Shame on the hotel to allow such a scam, I will never visit or recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank FazreenaIsmail
s_clifford_banks, Manager at Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear guest,

I am sorry to hear that you have received a parking charge notice following your recent dinner dance at the hotel. I have spoken with our Events Manager who has confirmed that the only dinner dance we have hosted in January was on a parking inclusive package. Whilst we cannot identify you from this posting I believe we may have received an email from a colleague of yours (who also received a parking charge notice) and we have this week cancelled these for both you.
Whilst it was communicated to your organiser that guests were to provide car registration details to our Reception team, I am sorry if this was not fully explained to you prior to your arrival.
I trust this matter is now resolved to your satisfaction, however if I can be of any further help please feel free to contact me directly at the hoteI.
Yours faithfully,

Seth Clifford-Banks
Director of Operations

Reviewed January 23, 2013

You cant get round the fact that this is a large chain hotel, but the people there make it feel much more than that. I have stayed there several times and each time have been made to feel really welcome. On one really hot visit the saff even carried chairs outside for us to sit in the sun.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
s_clifford_banks, Manager at Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Dear Gill,

Thank you for your nice comments. I'm very pleased to read that my team have made such a positive impression on you. It is always the people that make the difference and I do believe we have a great team at this hotel. We always strive to add a personal touch to our service; it's good to know we're getting it right!

It's also nice to remember that we did actually have a few sunny days to enjoy last summer!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Seth Clifford-Banks
Director of Operations

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Booked a pitza drinks movie deal room for our grandson (6) and our selves booked a double deluxe but night before we were going had a phone call saying as we had not paid up front we were going to be given a double with a pull out for our grand son as they not got a room for us to use this was very disappointing as no where in their booking does it tell you this. we ordered our pitza when we arrived for room delivery 630 at 645 phoned to find out what had happened to our room service knew nothing about it after a number of calls food arrived 1hour 40min later no bottle of wine as stated in deal had to ask what they would give us and 2 large glasses of red came up later the rest of the stay was enjoyable.
Once home emailed and complained about the deal and how our room was not what we had required. 1st reply was addressed to the wrong surname so emailed back then 2nd email offered us 1 night stay with breakfast free which we accepted and intend to use soon. They admit that things did not go well that weekend

Room Tip: make sure you pay to get the room you need.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I went to the gym on a temporary basis in December with a view to joining.The fist couple of days sauna ,steam room etc worked fine but the third day sauna was broken down then fourth day steam room as well.I mainly only wanted to join because the gym I already belong to doesnt have these.The lady at the reception there was very friendy and helpful which is more than I can say for the rest of the staff.
I got chatting to someone in the pool who said he had rejoined as they had sorted out all the things not working at last.I phoned to ask on the Saturday and asked if I could delay using my pass till the things were fixed and the Manager I spoke to said fine and he would tell his colleagues but when after 1 1/2 weeks and they were fixed I rang to tell them I was coming but they said it was too late and I couldnt use the remaining 8 days of my pass.They kept saying they would phone and didnt and were generally unhelpful.
The gym is in need of a complete overhaul of equipment and staff.I bet either the sauna or steamroom arnt working now.Also the locks in gentlemans changing room sometimes didnt unlock,the rowing machine had no display and belt was slipping on running machine.
In the main reception area is a bar wher food is available.The food sold was expensive and below average in taste.Drinks were well overpriced too.The labour used in hotel was mainly East European who couldnt really help with any local knowledge.
The location of the hotel is very dismal near toi an M25 interchange and rest area for articulated lorries.The road outside seems very grim with piles of broken windscreen glass where cars have probably been broken into and there are some dubious looking people loitering about.Ther is wasteland next to the road which I wouldnt like to venture near at night.The car park is chargeable but im not sure why.Maybe just to stop locals dumping vehicles there and leaving them.
I wouldnt recommend anyone to go here unless you are here for a meeting and have an expense account and you go straight to bed after.

Room Tip: Avoid a room with a window as ther arnt any good views.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
De Vere Theobalds Estate
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Park Inn by Radisson Harlow
Best Western Plus Epping Forest

Been to Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!