“Just avoid the restaurant THYME very bad.”

Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Waltham Abbey
London, United Kingdom
“Just avoid the restaurant THYME very bad.”
Reviewed April 10, 2011

The hotel is excellent, can not fault it (Believe me I tried) the staff are very friendly, but the restaurant called Thyme is got to be the worse run restaurant I have experienced in a long time. it let's this hotel down badly, as an ex caterer I am always looking at faults that others do not see, however this was for all to see sadly.

Once we were seated the waiter brought the menu (that was a very poor choice & not good for kids) we placed our order, but then watched the chef stand there putting his hands continuously through his hair, pick at his ear, in his mouth, then to end it wiped the sweat from his forehead on to his hands, then started to prepair food.

I was almost sick looking at him, I made a complaint and seen him being taken to the back office, he the came back and washed his hands (in front so we could see) but by this time it was too late I did not feel good after that.. in fact the little that we did eat (that another person cooked) the food was not good at all.

Our main course arrived before our starters, it took 45 minuets to arrive.

The next morning at breakfast it was someone else cooking, however the food was either cold, or over cooked, toaster either burned the bread, or would not work at all.

That evening we thought we try again, (Mistake) service was worse that before, the waiters did not have a clue, I seen 9 members of staff and NOT ONE got anything right, they were making mistake after mistake, they were like sheep following a flock, they just had no clue at all, I asked if certain items on the menu were fresh or frozen and was informed fresh, and when I got the food, clearly I could tell it was frozen, when I asked the waiter about what I asked before, he told me it was fresh from the freezer......Our food finally arrived cold, except my wife's, she waited for another 30 minuets and still did not arrive, in the end we gave up and went to the room and the food was delivered to the room, however it was not the food we ordered so once again bad service.

I would most definitely stay there again but I will NEVER visit the restaurant again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Oxfordshire
Reviewed March 13, 2011

We stayed overnight at this hotel on 12th March. This is a well managed hotel. We were particularly impressed with were the customer service and friendly attitude shown by all the staff. The Reception staff were warm and welcoming, the waiting staff were attentive and efficient even when coping with a busy Sunday breakfast crowd, the chambermaid met us with a genuine smile and so it goes on. The food in the restaurant was also very good and the restaurant itself manages to be intimate enough not to feel like a corporate experience. The bed in the room was comfortable and huge so we both slept well. We had paid for an upgraded room and this was a lucky move because there were two big functions going on, one of which involved a very large group of teenage boys with energy to burn! You can't predict who will be staying in a hotel when you are but hotel management were sensitive to guest dynamics! The pool/spa is what you would expect from this type of hotel but overall this hotel was good value for money.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bournemouthnextyear
carmarthen
Reviewed February 20, 2011

Stayed here for a 2 night long weekend visit to London....unfortunately when we arrived we were told that the pool was out of action due to Emergency repairs. But when we asked the receptionist if she could do anyhting to compensate she arranged a discount and complementary drinks in the Restaurant. Normally I don't tend to use the restaurants in 'chain hotels' but we were so pleased we made the exception!! the food and service was absolutely superb!!!! Things didn't change either at breakfast the folllowing morning...one of the best i've had! First class and well above standard for this type of Hotel.

This could also be said for the room too...as others have said the beds are just so comfy! The rooms are well sized and equiped...couldn't fault.....

Service was excellent too.... will use again for a trip to London....40 mins on the tube not bad at all!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank staffcar
London
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Just came back from a two-day break with my family.
The main reason we chose the Marriot over other cheaper local alternatives was the swimming pool. My 5 year old daughter loves swimming and being able to use the pool in the building would have saved a lot of hassle (heavy winter jackets, hats, hair blowdrying etc.). However, we were told when we arrived that the pool was closed. There was absolutely no notice on the website, which I checked just before departing, and there still isn't. The least they could have done was notify client who have booked by email and offered alternatives. Had we known that in advance, we would have booked the nearby Cheshunt Marriott.

That was a big disappointment for all of us. The solution they offered was the local public pool (not particularly clean), which we could have used anyway had we gone for another local hotel.

Apart from that, breakfast was all right with a good variety of hot and cold options. Service was all right too. Room service was a different story, when instead of chicken nuggets, chips and baked beans (standard option from the children menu) we were brought bacon instead of baked beans. Beans were brought after raising this, but an extra charge for that was posted on our bill. After two telephone calls, the bill still was not adjusted as we found out on departure.The room service tray charge is exorbiant at £4.95! You could very nearly get an extra course for that in the restaurant.

Overall not a bad hotel, but for us personally did not serve the purpose.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2011

I visited the hotel with colleagues just for 1 night, the hotel is pretty much a typical Marriott, but the Thyme restaurant stands out!

Lovely room, with a great bed and a view of the pool. The pool is amazing, if you go you must take a dip!

Thyme restaurnat is amazing, the food and service was a great standard, and the wine tasting corner is a fab idea, its great being able to sample your wine before you purchase it for your table.

Even if you dont stay overnight at the hotel, maybe pop in their for dinner, its a must!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Stayed at this Hotel 10th and 11th November 2010 as my daughter was getting married. Had booked 10 rooms and a suite for the bride and groom.
When we checked in they had given the suite for the bride to someone else.
All they kept saying was she can have the suite on the 11th, that was her wedding day, but she had 5 bridesmaids a makeup lady hairdresser and photographer to be in a normal room. The management did not show there face to apologize and stayed away. They told her she could move her items on her wedding day to the suite, which in the end the hotel staff moved her items to the room we had originally booked. I even had my papers with me to prove we had a suite booked for her but they had your money and did not care at all.
To this day they have never said sorry.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Waltham Abbey hotels

London
Reviewed December 30, 2010

My family and I stayed here over Christmas and had a lovely time. The staff were friendly and helpful. The restaurant was able to handle a varied set of dietary requirements. The pool, sauna and steam room were great. The customer service was fantastic.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in Cheshunt
De Rougemont Manor
De Rougemont Manor
#3 of 4 in Brentwood

Been to Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!