“Very comfortable bed”

Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed at Five Lakes for one night. The room was lovely, spotlessly clean, plenty of room, plenty of cupboard space. The huge bed was so comfortable i would have been happy to lay on the bed all night! They were a bit mean with the toiletries though, only one shower gel and one shampoo, so ran out. The breakfast next day wasnt so good. It was very busy as there had been a wedding the day before. We got a table ok as there was only 2 of us. The cooked buffet breakfast was only luke warm, just about edible. There was a reasonable selection of cereals and cakes etc. There was only one toaster which took an age to lightly toast the bread, so a long queue round the toaster.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ben C D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear Julie M

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We note your positive comments regarding your accommodation.

Your feedback regarding breakfast the following day; has been shared with the restaurant manager and our Executive Chef and thank you for highlighting these issues.

We do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at some time in the not too distant future.

Thank you once again and kind regards

Reviewed November 12, 2012

This place is impossible to find. The information on the web gives you a post code AND an address, but they both bring you miles away. It is NOT on the Colchester Road, Maldon or at the post code given. I rang to find out where they are and was told Tolleshunt Knights. They are 4 miles away from Tolleshunt Knights in the middle of nowhere. There are no signs until you get on top of the drive and in the dark at this time of year it was frankly dangerous trying to find it. Once there, it's a very typical corporate place. Everything charged extra, no free wi-fi, £17 for breakfast!!!! and nothing really 'snacky' available in the restaurants. For anyone reading this review, the Hotel is just outside Salcott, off Whitecross Hill - so why on earth don't they tell you that when you call them?? Won't be staying again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Simon M

Thank you for your feedback and we are sorry to read of the difficulty you had finding the Resort.
The resort does offer a menu in our Bar Lacu with a variety of sandwiches, Panini’s, salads and hot food. Our Sports Bar also has a a selection of hot and cold food also and I am sorry that you were not informed of these options.

Simon M, I do hope that one day, you might reconsider returning and at that time, we look forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes.

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

Kind regards

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Sixty of us stayed following my daughter's wedding and who did they not have a room for? ... the bride and groom! Despite all the arrangements made through the hotel reservations team and confirmed by email the front desk was chaotic and the duty receptionist completely failed to understand the importance of resolving what should have been a simple enough problem to fix. Especially when my son and his wife offered to give up their room if the hotel would pay for a taxi to take them to our house for the night (10 miles away) - the offer was declined. A few days after the event the hotel management apologised and offered a compensatory package. But it will take considerably more than that for us to get over the image of the "happy" couple standing at the reception desk in all their wedding finery and being told that as there was no reservation shown on the computer then they clearly had not booked!

Our own room in The Village was fine and the bed comfortable and the breakfast was okay, if a bit hectic with the buffet servery running out of plates and a few of things on offer ... until they were belatedly restocked.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
John A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear Worldtraveller 19

We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay on Trip Advisor .

I recently joined Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes in early November after your visit and please do accept my personal apologies for your disappointment at the time.

I am however, aware that your family has been in several conversations with our Operations Manager concerning your visit and this matter has finally been concluded to Mr Mills satisfaction.

Kind regards

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I thought I was in for a real treat when staying here but unfortunately it was the opposite!

We had a package deal and really for the price we did get a lot, 3 meals, overnight stay, 1 free spa treatment, the spa, the gym, tennis courts and any classes we wanted to do. The rooms are lovely with really comfy beds, I had a lovely nights sleep.
But now for the bad bits.....
Their was a wedding going on and I couldn't help feeling sorry for the bride and groom as we all seem to be mixed in together, so they had people walking around in their dressing gowns and slippers.
The check in was very slow, our keys didn't work so we use the phone in the upstairs lobby - no answer so we had to walk all the back down to reception to get them to sort it out, turns out all 3 staff members were free but would rather have their own personal conversation then answering the phone! We had a package deal but the amount of times we were questioned before we were allow to eat was relentless - maybe wrist bands would help.
Sadly the food wasn't that great and the staff weren't helpful, something I wasn't expecting from a hotel. Very much "this is it, like it or lump it" attitude. The grounds could do with a good tidy up, the amount of weeds was shocking. The spa treatment was very budget and mine only lasted 15 mins instead of the 30 mins stated, I was 1st in and the 1st out in my group, and the nail vanish had chipped within a day. The gym is very small with a small range of equipment, the pool had dead wasps around the edges! The drinks are very expensive, I mean very very expensive with no cash back at the bar or no cash machine and as the hotel is in the middle of nowhere its not very helpful.

Would I recommend to a friend - no put the £110 towards somewhere nicer.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Cheryl D

Following your recent visit to cp may I thank you for reviewing our Resort.

Please accept our apologies that we failed to meet your expectations during your recent stay and we note your constructive and candid comments. Going forward and taking into consideration the feedback you have given us, the appropriate managers have already been tasked to ensure that improvements and training are put in place so as to avoid a similar situation occurring in the future.

We do hope that we can welcome you back to the Resort in the future.

Thank you again for your comments.

Regards

Reviewed November 8, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed 1 night at the Crowne Plaza five lakes for her birthday treat. We stayed in one of the 'houses' the back of the hotel which looks like it's just geared toward golfers and was very disapointed to find cob webs in the bathroom along with cracked tiles and damp stains in the hallway,. Also the remote control for the TV was broken and had to be replaced. I fed this back when I checked out to a receptionist who's only concern at our feeback was to tell housekeeping. I have also noted this also on a feedback form for my stay which was emailed to me and never received a reply back. Does the Crowne plaza only hear with closed ears? Big improvements needed as definately not what I expected from a reputable global hotel group????? Not happy!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear colin g,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for.

We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the condition of your room. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome the opportunity to improve.

I hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and show you just how much we care about delivering the best customer experience.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed one night here in October and were hoping for a nice meal and hotel experience. We were slightly disappointed. We arrived to a queue at reception who were very slow in dealing with people checking in. They could have been much more efficient, especially given the number of people waiting and didn't seem to know what was included in our pre-paid booking. We struggled with our keys which were very unreliable and heard others say the same had happened to them.

Bar and brasserie were both very noisy due to rowdy groups - fine for them but not so great for us. Brasserie staff were just a bit 'whatever'. Service was slow and again there was confusion over what was included in our booking - eventually after checking with reception they agreed our dinner was included. However, it was a buffet, and not completely clear what was included and food was ok but not great.

Room was fine (the difficulties of getting the keys to work aside) though the TV entertainment system was a bit slow and annoying and the shower a bit small, and I don't know why they leave the TVs on when the rooms are unoccupied - we thought someone was in our room when we first arrived!!

It wasn't awful, but overall not the nice treat we had looked forward to either. We won't bother going back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ben C D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Ellemmek

We thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that you experienced a slow check-in. I would also like to apologise that our receptionist did not appear to have all details of your booking which further delayed you whilst checking in and at dinner and in the bar you experienced a similar issues. Going forward, I have requested our Reservations department to ensure that details of guest’s booking are double checked to avoid a similar situation occurring in the future.

I am sorry that your experience in Bar Lacu was not the one you were hoping for due to the lively mix of guests. Your comments regarding the TV entertainment system are noted as is your comment regarding the shower.

Ellemmek, perhaps one day in the future, you may reconsider returning to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes and if so, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Regards

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Returned to this hotel to give it a second chance after a poor experience at the beginning of this year. And this experience was worse.... I called ahead the day before to confirm we would be in a super king room in the Village with a travel cot for my 6 month old daughter. I was told my need for a cot was clearly marked on my reservation. When I checked in (after queuing for about 5 minutes) I was given a room on the second room in the main building. Not wanting to cause unnecessary fuss, my husband and I carted our baby and luggage to the second only to find the room was a twin double with no cot and not even any space for a cot! Went back to reception (queued for another 5+ minutes) and explained I was here for my wedding anniversary and that not only was a twin double unsuitable and that I had specifically requested a super king, I could not be without a cot. The young girl on the reception desk looked totally bemused. I explained that i wanted exactly the same type of room as my last visit as I needed a large bed to accomodate myself and my husband and my breast feeding baby and enough floor space for a cot. She asked me if I meant I wanted to swap a double bed for a cot (?!) Luckily I was overheard by another receptionist who agreed to find me a suitable room. I was given the keys to a Village room so moved the baby and luggage again. When we got to the new room it was a medium size double room again with no room for a cot. By this time I couldn't be bothered to move again so I moved two tub chairs and a table to make just enough room to put up the travel cot which was delivered to our room shortly afterwards. The room was on the ground floor with windows all the way along one wall but there were no nets so passers by could see straight in unless you closed the blackout curtains (which by the way were holey, ill fitting and stained). The carpet hadnt been properly hoovered and there were crumbs around the bin. The carpet was also dirty and stained. One of the bedside lamps flickered constantly. The toilet pan was brown stained with limescale. The corners of the bathroom floor and sink were dirty. There were no tissues (just an empty box). There was no information in the room about the hotels restaurants (I only knew to book from the previous visit). On a positive note, the buffet food in the Brasserie was very good, much better than before and the waiter was great - really friendly and helpful with the baby. The breakfast was also great. The bed was very uncomfortable, we kept rolling together - and because of this I couldnt safely feed the baby in bed meaning I was up and down all night. I was very disappointed that I had to queue for ten minutes to hand my room keys back at the end of my visit (I had settled my bill on check in) and I wasn't even asked if I had enjoyed my stay or given any opportunity to provide feedback. Generally very disappointing, quite shabby room - wont be visiting again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Roseanne B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Roseanne B,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I am so glad you enjoyed the food buffet we have in the Brasserie. I am deeply sorry for the issues you had with your reservations and your room accommodations. I have sent you a private message to obtain some additional details regarding your stay. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you.

Anthony M

#1 of 1 in Wivenhoe
Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester
Best Western Marks Tey Hotel
Greenwoods Hotel & Spa

Been to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes? Share your experiences!