“Could be an excellent hotel if they made some minor changes.”

Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Went for 2 nights with breakfast included , for my birthday; with my husband and Daughter. Checking in was ok - ish .... The man just did his job... No extras , all he was worried about is payment for the room (I've stayed in numerous luxury hotels and normally give them a swipe of my card and then settle in full at check out) well not here!! .... Paid for the room up front and had to pay in cash for everything during the stay!!
went to the room which I must say was beautiful and clean , was very impressed with it. Pool area and spa was good but they treat towels and dressing gowns like gold dust so I'd recommend to take your own!! Breakfast on both mornings was lovely ... We ate in the brasserie on 1 night and our food came at all different times from each other , and we waited for 45 mins for dessert to come!! All in all , the restaurant wasn't that great but we are not people to complain.
On morning of check out we packed the car up and I went to give the keys back , as I was approaching the reception , the lady saw me walking over but walked away from the reception area and I was standing there for around 10 minutes before I just left the key on the desk and left the hotel .... I'd say the reception area is understaffed ...

All in all I enjoyed the break , but wish I'd ventured out and went outside the hotel for our dinner!!

But we got a good deal and the hotel is beautiful inside!

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Fireworks6
Ben C D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear Firework6

Your comments on Trip Advisor are noted and thank you for taking the time to post your review.

On arrival; guests have the option to pay in advance for their stay plus any additional charges i.e., restaurant spa, golf can be paid for in cash or by card or alternatively, a pre-authorisation is taken at the check-in stage and the guest settles their final bill at check out. Please accept my apologies that you were not offered an option on this occasion.

We are delighted to read that you were pleased with your accommodation along with the spa and swimming pool areas also. Robes are available and can be hired for £10 deposit which is refundable. I am sorry if you experienced some difficulty in obtaining robes during your visit.

It would seem from your feedback that you experienced slow service at dinner and your comment will be passed to the restaurant manager however, please accept our belated apologies that this aspect was disappointing to you.

Firework6, we are pleased that overall you did have an enjoyable time at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes and we do very much hope that we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Thank you again for posting on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Regretfully my review is largely a negative one. To offer simplicity my rating are based as Trip Advisor's on a 1 to 5 scale with 3 being average. Please note I was part of a large party enjoying a golf break.

Sunday Golf - Links Course. Score = 2. A disappointing converted field style golf course with instantly forgetable holes. Highlights were restricted to the average quality of the greens. Crowne Plaza (CP) describe this as a "Resort" and based on the Links Course this should be prefixed with Last.

Check-In. Score = 3. Cannot comment more about a young lady asking for a signature and punching out an access card.

Sunday Dinner. Score = 1. In this buffet style restaurant starters & desserts were OK but the main couses gave the impression of being done as cheaply as possible. Cold school dinners immediately sprang to mind.

Sunday Evening. I don't think CP really understand their customer base. With golf being such a feature of their offer they would understand that their customers would be large parties of mixed age, mixed ability golfers whose primary target was having fun on and off the golf course. Aside of the high pricing strategy CP implement they were unwilling to offer drinks on the Sunday morning and in the evening closed the bar at midnight. This was done on the spurious excuse of there being too much noise in the bar. From anecdotal conversations with other members of staff we suspect that the previous evenings equally loud fun having until 5AM (by another group incidentally) had weighed hevily in that poor decision. If CP can afford to lose in excess of £500.00 in turnover at probably a 60%+ gross margin then this probably one justification for their pricing policy.

Hotel Room. Score = 3. Average score for the room with over-powering heating, and a uncomfortably soft mattress (although I appreciate that's a very subjective issue).

Monday Breakfast. Score = 2. Better than dinner but with the same issues still to the fore.

Monday Golf - Lakes Course. Score = 3. Much better than the Links course. I actually played Five Lakes not long after it first opened but with respect both courses have not matured in the way you would hope. Both courses felt like they lacked in resources but as stated the Lakes is far superior to its Links brother.

Overall Summary. Our society goes away twice a year. With 30+ on this trip our spend was in excess of £6000.00 and could have been even more. Crowne Plaza Five Lakes did not offer the value reflective of that spend and on that basis we could not recommend the Resort to other like minded parties.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Ben C D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear SuffolkGraham

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor.

Your feedback regarding the quality of golf at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes is surprising and is the first negative comment of this nature I have received. Having operated six golf resorts across the UK, I can say with confidence that the standards, quality of the golf at Five Lakes is second to none. Of course I accept that everyone has different tastes with regard to the style of golf course and I appreciate that our open parkland style is not to everyone’s liking.

It was disappointing to learn that your check-in appeared to be lacking the personal touch and I have raised your comment with our Front Office Manager, who asks to be associated with my sincere apology. I would also like to assure you that this is not our normal standard.

I would like to offer you my personal apologies for what has clearly been a disappointing experience for you for a number of different reasons. With this in mind, perhaps you would like to discuss this matter further and therefore, if you could contact in the first instance, Miss Gayleen Burkhardt at the Resort.

We do hope that we hear from you.

Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

I invited my best friend to join me in a relaxing spa break but it was anything but relaxing. There were no cups to make drinks, very cold spa area, the repetitive music during the treatments were like water torture, holding classes in the pool whilst relaxing pool side without any notice was noisy, no staff to help in spa, foyer or restaurant, the buffet cancelled without warning causing delays ordering and a generally a noisy environment. So very poor communication, poor environment and not enough staff meant a stressful experience!! My friend had travelled all the way from Kent to experience this and neither of us will visit or recommend again. We must say though the food served and treatment were excellent.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank AaMTF

Dear AaMTF

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor following your visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes

I note from your comments that your spa experience did not meet your overall expectations and your constructive comments have been passed to our Spa Manager.

The Resort’s swimming pool holds regular aqua-aerobic classes and timings are highlighted at the country club reception however, we are sorry that this information was not more prominently displayed.

We are pleased to note that you enjoyed your dining experience and thought your spa treatments were excellent. We do hope that we can welcome you back to the Resort in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We booked a king suite room 209 for 4 nights to visit with family. The suite itself was perfect with a great separate living area so we could entertain our family visiting us at the hotel. However the suite was dirty. A spider stayed with us for the 4 days for free. The room was never vacuumed and the surfaces not cleaned. It was a nightmare to try and get clean glasses in the room. We had access to the club lounge. It's not even worth going into detail. I am certain that management know te issues. Hot, smelly, insufficient wine and canopes etc. absolute disappointment!!
On the positive side the bar food was good, service pleasant ad very welcoming. Room service for ice delivery was very prompt.
Basically attention to Housekeeping and sorting out the club lounge and this would ave been an excellent experience for us.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ben C D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear John F

Thank you for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your four-day visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes and we are pleased that you found the suite so useful when entertaining family members. Most concerning are your comments regarding the lapse in our normally high housekeeping standards and please accept our apologies. We do have a new Head Housekeeper on board and he has been tasked to ensure that all accommodation and all public areas are cleaned to the highest spec and going forward, this will be ongoing.

It is evident from your feedback that the Club Lounge was a disappointment to you however, I can assure you that our Bars Manager is full engaged in ensuring that the Club Lounge will offer a better experience in the future for our guests and I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to deliver.

JOhn F, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the food offered in the Bar Lacu and that room service was prompt in delivering the ice you requested.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Kind regards.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed on a Groupon deal and overall a very pleasant stay. When we arrived we were greated by a pleasant friendly girl on reception and loaned towelling robes and assigned room 109. This room is situated just a above a really noisy air conditioning fan (for the kitchens I believe) so we went and explained and were given room 247 which was bigger with a huge bed, shower and seperate bath. The shower smelt a tad damp but seemed clean and bed was comfortable. I suspect that the hotel is short staffed as things like tops of tables where clean but the feet and bases where dusty.
The spa facilities are fine but the hotel really needs to decide who its target audience is. When we went to use the pool, sauna, etc there were lots of families with children (one group in particular allowing their children to bomb into the pool whilst screaming and shouting). I have no objection to children on holiday but if a hotel is billing itself as a spa hotel then the environment needs to be calm not Summer fun fair. The hotel seems to be trying to be all things to all people and it doesn't work.
That said the pool was fine and the sauna was lovely but the steam room had an odd damp smell and overall the facilities need a bit of refurbishment (missing and cracked tiles and the like).
The spa treatment area looked lovely but we didn't use it.
Dinner in the evening was very good and we had very good service but some tables who had arrived about the same time as us were still waiting for their starters as we finishing our mains. As we left after dinner the maitre d' apologised to us if we had had a wait and when we said we were fine but some other tables did appear slow, he explained that the restaurant was working to improve food quality and had stopped buffet service at dinner and replaced with table menus but they needed more staff. Staff were constantly working the tables but it was a bit of a lottery as to whether you caught their eye or not. Breakfast was fine, lots of choice and lovely fresh fruit, etc. The hot choices were ok but standard hotel buffet fare.
Overall not a perfect place but very good and the staff tried very hard to sort out issues. Dinner was lovely and pool facilities adequate but don't go in before 5.30 in the evening (when it should be more child clear) if you want a quiet relaxing time. Also be warned internet access is £5 an hour or £12.99 for 24 hours!! Could be excellent with a few tweaks

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ben C D, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester Five Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Ktigger

Thank you sincerely for leaving your detailed and candid feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes. Feedback is a gift and I fully embrace both good and bad comments.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and found our staff to be friendly and responsive in all areas of the Resort. I am also pleased that you enjoyed your dining experience with us for both dinner and breakfast and I have shared your feedback with my team.

The sentiments you expressed in your feedback regarding our leisure facilities are noted and we are currently reviewing the time allocated for children to swim in the pool.

I also take on board your comments regarding the inconsistency of the dinner service in our restaurant, Brasserie 1 and I have a shared your feedback with my operations team, who are already in the process of initiating additional training to ensure that our service standards are improved going forward.

May I thank you once again for sharing your comments with us and we do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes in the not too distant future.

Kind regards.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed at Five Lakes earlier this month, on a Saturday night, with breakfast and evening meal included. The hotel stands in its own grounds and is surrounded by the golf course.

We had stayed here on a few occasions in the past, and found that a much needed redesign of the ground floor reception, bars and restaurants had taken place.

We didn't visit the spa, on this occasion, but we remembered it as providing a variety of treatments. I also found, from previous visits, that the golf course was quite challenging, and buggies were avalable for hire. There is also a pro shop and golf bar adjacent to the first tee.

The rooms were spacious and clean, as always, with satellite tv and ensuite bathroom. The gym and the pool were not busy, giving ample opportunity to use the adjoining steam room, sauna and jacuzzi.

On this ocassion, there were a number of hen and golf parties staying at the hotel, leading to a boisterous atmosphere in the restaurants at dinner. The food, at the carvery-style Brasserie, was quite good. Starters and desserts were self service from the buffet table. Drinks were served at the table.

As we finished our meal after 10pm, there was only one bar open, which was very crowded and playing loud dance music. As the bar doors were left open, the music could also be heard throughout the reception area as well. Therefore, any possibility of a relaxing evening was denied. So we headed back early to our room.

Breakfast was buffet-style and had a good selection of hot and cold food, which was continually replenished. Due to the all male and all female parties, breakfast was also a little noisy.

Staff, throughout the hotel, were excellent and service was good, in spite of the number of guests.

All in all, not a great stay for a couple who were looking froward to a relaxing weekend, but I imagine the golf and hen parties had a great time. It may be different on a weekday.

We couldn't understand why the other bars closed at 10pm. This blighted our stay somewhat. I'm not sure that we will return, except as part of a hen or golf party.

Dear Les-Teresa

Thank you for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – Five Lakes.

We note that you have visited the Resort in the past and this is your first visi, since the Resort underwent major refurbishment in its restaurants, bars, atrium and accommodation. We were plesed to note that you found your accommodation well appointed.

Our Resort is a popular destination for a wide variety of guests and although during the weekend of your visit there were golf societies visiting and dining in Brasserie 1, we note that you enjoyed your dining experience both at dinner and breakfast.

May I thank you for your positive comments regarding our staff and the service you received during your stay.

Once again, we appreciate your taking the time to comment on your stay and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed here for one night on Friday 19th October 2012, we had a meal in the fish restaurant which was very nice, the wine was chilled to perfection. Reception staff at check were very friendly and most helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Room was very nice overlooking the golf course.

Room Tip: Book a room in the main building otherwise if it is raining you will ruin your LK Bennetts (lovely s...