“Chef great, front of house awful”
Review of Pietros Italian Restaurant - CLOSED

Pietros Italian Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Chocolate dessert was burnt and grainy. waiter said He had 'microwaved' it for 10 seconds only and that was his reasoning that we must be wrong and that the dessert was fine. He was arogant, ignorant and totally elusive of the fact that we were the customer. in fact he actually said he didn't care as the restaurant had been open 7 years so what we thought didn't count. Only one other table in an otherwise empty restaurant also said they wouldn't come back because of the waiters attitude. Waiter was very rude from the moment we raised the issue and from that point ignored us. When we asked for the bill he literally threw it on the table and then fired another volly defending the microwaved burnt dessert. I'd never go back.

1  Thank Sallyanne718

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Initially I was charmed by this place. Service started well. Good wine. Excellent starter and main. Was just about to consider it a local gem. Then dessert. A chocolate almond tart that was prepared well, but microwaved for serving a touch too far. It smelt of burnt chocolate, and was grained. It's obvious when choc is burnt, and with 6 years professional kitchen experience, and my mother- who was with me- having 15 years in catering, we know what we're on about. For starters we're not fans of microwaves in restaurants. When we told the waiter of the issue, he did say he'd take back the dish, but refused to accept there was a problem or offer a replacement. Claiming he'd only cooked it 10 seconds, and that others had liked it before, he eventually crossed over to incredibly rude behaviour, telling us we don't know what we're talking about and telling us to leave. Such a shame. If he'd just said sorry, and offered to replace, even if he disagreed with us, I'd have gone back many times- as everything else was so good. But I can't recommend somewhere that cannot deal with a complaint, and doesn't understand catering or, quite frankly, that you don't microwave a chocolate tart. He was too rude and even other dinees weee saying they wouldn't go again based on how he'd treated us. Sadly, great chef, but can't accept the possibility they would make a mistake, so avoid. Toscana in Billericay has equally good food and great service. Magic Mushroom great too. Try these and avoid Pietro.

1  Thank antonharvey
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I loved it.Good food good drnk and good service thank you all very much I had a lovely time and I will defonatly be returning to this place again.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I hadn't heard of this restaurant but went recently with some work colleagues and client. Nice relaxed atmosphere and nicely cooked fresh food - it's nice to find a half decent Italian that competes well with the standard Stradas, Prezzos etc. We were a table of 12 and although they seemed a little stretched service-wise, they coped well and everything arrived correctly and well timed. I didn't get the bill on this occasion so can't comment on value other than the menu prices but I would definitely return and would recommend. Only downside - parking was very difficult.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I can't deny this is one of my favourite restaurants and I eat out a lot. Why is this different? It's small, personal and everything is cooked fresh. Pietro and team will happily adapt things for you as its a proper kitchen so why not! Love the specials which change weekly and I love Andrea and the staff. For us it's like eating at home but without the sourcing of ingredients and clearing up. You'll need to book Fridays and Saturday's as it's usually completely full and rightly so.