“the best hotel”

Ilfracombe House Hotel
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
Reviewed November 26, 2013

this is one of the best hotels that I have stayed in,the prices are very reasonable,the service and friendliness is out of this world.the rooms are to top quality and very clean.i have been staying at this hotel for 4 years and I will continue going back .....keep up the good work thanks.

1  Thank Alan S

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed just one night when going to concert at thr cliffs pavilion to see Texas(who were great!) Had room 19-quiet room,decent beds and bathroom. Breakfast served up till 11am_bonus! good coffee and selection of food. Staff all pleasent and polite. Ideal for an overnight stay.

1  Thank Denise635679
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. On arrival we were asked to pay the bill there and then, which is unusual as you don't usually pay until you leave. The room was a bit cramped but was clean. Started to make a cup of tea and use the cartons of milk and noticed that they were out of date so had to go and ask for more. Only one bath towel so had to go and ask for another towel. Plenty for breakfast - even had your own toaster on the table. Went out for the day and came back to find that the bed had not been made and also only left with one mug, so had to go and ask for another mug. Its a shame that these things were not picked up.

Room Tip: Not sure what the other rooms were like but we had a room on the top floor.
1  Thank harri015
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for three nights, would have moved if another hotel was available. The double room we were allocated was small and cramped, the blind in the bathroom was broken and could not be rolled up so it stayed down, it was also covered in paint. The sink in the bathroom had a large crack and two large holes in it, they had attempted to conceal the holes with white silicon but this was now dirty and unhygienic. The shower was awful, with a dirty shower curtain that wasn't attached to the rail.

The furniture in the bedroom was old, with one of the chairs having a very unpleasant stain on the seat. The two mugs in the room were very dirty and smelt of bleach.

For the price they charge I wonder how they ever get anyone returning, I know we never will.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank MiloYork
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed here a couple of weeks ago. It was quiet when I arrived about 7.45pm. It had been a really long day but the smile from the receptionist made it better instantly. This set the tone for my overnight stay. Everyone was friendly and accommodating. I phoned to see if they would rustle me up a meal about 15 mins before they were due to stop serving...no problem. The meal was good and they put the footy on for me on a TV opposite my table. I appreciated this, especially as Spurs won that night :-)

Breakfast is a buffet affair but all hot and reasonable quality. It was nice having my own personal toaster as I had a table in the corner!

Thanks to the owner and his brilliant staff for making me feel special.

I forgot my phone charger the next morning after I'd left but phoned them mid-morning to let them know. Whilst I was on the phone, someone checked immediately rather than making me wait. Again a measure of the service. I was able to pop in later and collect it from the front desk.

I would not hesitate to return here again and when I next visit Southend I'll actually be checking the reservations here first.

Thanks again.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Chapperz1973
Reviewed October 1, 2013

The owners are very accommodating and friendly types - was so kind as to make me toast and I even got a free upgrade from a single room to a two bed room! Was unnecessary but appreciated the extra space.

Cleanliness of the room itself was okay. Found a dead bee/wasp in the bathtub, and an empty bottle of vodka in the cupboards. A little noisy at night from all the creaking but still manageable.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Me and my family stayed there for a week in one of their apartments,the beds were broken, blinds kept coming off in the lounge, no constant hot water so showering was impossible, so had to have Luke warm baths, previous guests rubbish was still evident so not cleaned properly, though one thing I can say in their favor is that breakfast was nice

• Stayed: August 2013