“Relaxing stay”

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Relaxing stay”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Found Hotel staff to be very pleasant and have no complaints about the room or meals. Hotel was very clean and tidy. Had a lovely Sunday midday meal and would recommend it if staying at the hotel. Lots of choice for breakfast and all cooked to a high standard. Well located over looking the Estuary and ample parking off road.

Room Tip: Sea view added attraction
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Banbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Booked a room with the Camelia Hotel, but chose one of the annex suites instead of a standard double bed room due to the room including a balcony overlooking the sea.

We arrived at the place, parking was a issue. They do have free parking, however, it was very full on both days we were there, and people were fighting for places. Bit of a nightmare. However, once we arrived, we were greeted by a lovely young receptionist with blonde hair. She was very welcoming, and very friendly and seemed like she actually enjoyed her job. She showed us to our room, and it was on a seperate block to the hotel - which was nice as it felt like you weren't connected to the hotel so much itself!

The room was extremely spacious, and was probably about the size of a one bedroom flat/studio flat. Nice comfy bed, with a lovely combinded living room & kitchen. Balcony was lovely but quite small and had two seats outside on it which was nice in the sun.

Breakfast was included in the price of the hotel room package, and it was a buffet style breakfast (full English), however there were alternatives such as cereal, fresh fruit, yoghurts and much more. The breakfast was lovely and so was the service.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel. I can't comment on the standard double bed rooms, however, the double suite in annex is amazing!

Room Tip: choose the double or king rooms in annuex! click the description to see if there is a balcony. defo...
uk
Reviewed July 14, 2013

very nice hotel we had one off the suites and we will be going back very nice staff and happy to help you breakfast was full of choice and very filling rooms were spotless even had our own washing machine as well as microwave and tv in both living room and bed rooms no pool or fitness centre but who cares when you have the sea right outside the front door

1 Thank howesfamily
mansfield
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for just one night. Upon checking in we were told that our room was not ready but we could have another room which they condidered to be better. The room was ok but the carpet had white stains on it and there wad quite a lot of dust and fluff on ledges. The hotel is however In a good location and roughly 20 mins walk from the pier which is fab. You must go to end. We did have a fab weekend and the weather was superb.

Orpington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed in early July 2013 for the weekend, two nights and I specifically telephoned the hotel directly to find out which of the rooms we would be booking. Being on the beach, we specifically wanted a sea view and the guy (who turns out to be the son of the owner) explained that there were 'sort of rooms that aren't on the website that they hold back but could be booked'. I was a bit dubious about this but he said that he'd send through an e-mail confirmation of this. Nothing arrived by e-mail, but to be honest given that they'd taken a credit card booking, and I phoned on the day of departure to confirm that we had a booking, I wasn't too worried. We arrived around 8:30pm on Friday and there is free parking round the back although it's basically an untarmacked space behind houses etc and no better/worse than the surrounding area.

The 1st receptionist was 'new' but whilst pleasant enough didn't really know what she was doing and insisted that they took full payment for the two nights straight away. I was a little surprised as this because they had our credit card details and we are a respectable couple not likely to 'do a runner'. That said she wasn't able to work out what to put through the credit card machine, and so a 2nd more elderly woman turned up and 'assisted'. We were given a room key and went up to find that we had a poster-bed room looking onto the car-park. Wearily I went down to explain that we'd definitely booked a sea-view room. Their response was quite unfriendly - they were like "well, we are pretty much fully booked and you'll have to speak to the owner on Saturday". Now when you book for 2 nights you don't really want to have to stay in one room then move to another one, but I did ask for a different room and we were moved into one that at least had a sea-view but was tiny, and definitely not "worth" £90 - i.e. it didn't have a bath and the bed was small and you kind of rolled into the centre.

In the morning the breakfast staff were more helpful - we needed an early breakfast and so had toast and cereal slightly before 8am. Turns out the owner was now not arriving until 11am but I did ask the morning person to get them to contact me as soon as possible to address this. We went out to our appointment then returning just after 11, I had to go to the desk to find out if anything was going to be done. The owner was helpful but could offer no explanation for how the booking had been made erroneously - he was careful to point out the rates that certain rooms would be and so on. He showed me a ground floor annex room which sort-of had a sea view but the bedroom still looked onto the car park - so no good. Then we were shown a 2nd floor sea-view room which would be acceptable but the room hadn't been made up, and so it wasn't until the afternoon when we returned from town that we could finally get to the room we'd basically requested. That room was indeed more like the £90 we were charged.

The breakfast on the Sunday wasn't anything particularly to write-home about; the heated food - because the containers were often left half-open by guests, didn't keep the sausages, powdered eggs, bacon, tomatoes or beans much over 'warm' and the sausages were only hot because they'd been freshly delivered. The breakfast staff were more chirpy than the reception staff.

Overall, our 'order' was fulfilled but only over 50% through our stay and I have no idea how their processes resulted in the booking not being delivered; but the initial treatment by the reception staff put a sour start to our stay and therefore we'd be cautious about booking there again unless you get a written confirmation of what they have reserved for you.

Room Tip: Get a written confirmation from them before you hand over any cash.
2 Thank BadWabbitUK
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was recommended to stay here by someone I didn't know and I don't *normally* take random recommendations but I'm very glad I did.

The rooms were amazing value and super nice! Very clean and each one is decorated individually (I stayed in two different rooms over the course of a longer stay). There's a wonderful boutique feel to the place with just enough quirk and charm but also modern amenities. Really nice in-room television and very importantly - FREE wifi! (Also there is a nice restaurant in the front and the staff let me lounge around in the back with my laptop so I could also get some work done while I was here).The staff are also very friendly and super helpful.

If you can get a room facing the water, awesome because there is an amazing seaview. But rooms without seaview are still great and really relaxing and quiet. I could have moved around hotels for the time I was staying in Southend but decided to stay put because it was a really great spot and actually from what I could tell some of the other places looked a bit dark and not so cute in comparison.

I would definitely recommend this place!

Room Tip: Seaview room if you can of course! But rooms w/out view also nice b/c it was really quiet and relaxi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Wow what a hotel, I stayed with my partner as a one off and we will definitely be staying again. Our room was amazing, we just over slept and missed breakfast, but it was worth the money. Thanks for an amazing stay.

• Stayed July 2013