“Weekend in Southend-on -Sea”
Review of Camelia Hotel

and 1 more site!
Camelia Hotel
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
Dublin, Ireland
“Weekend in Southend-on -Sea”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for two weekend nights in October. We were in Southend-on-Sea for a famiy re-union and, because of a bereavement, we had to change our arrangements and the hotel booking not once but twice. The hotel management was very accommodating and empathetic. We were pleased we booked this hotel as it was clean & quiet and not expensive. We had a huge twin room with two double beds but no view except a concrete back yard. Breakfast was excellent; a wide choice of cereal including frehly-made porridge (oatmeal); full fried breakfast with good quality bacon and Cumberland sausage (a bit salty for my palate) and free-range eggs. On our second morning I had kippers (smoked herring) and it was delicious. Coffee was good; my wife even had a second cup - a rare mark of approval.

The staff were all friendly and were local people, which was a relief as we could ask questions about the area. There is a small outdoor terrace overlooking the Thames estuary and a cosy, small bar inside.

The weather was sunny but cool for our visit and we had a lovely morning on the world's longest pleasure pier. If you like fairground rides, the area around the shore end of the pier is second heaven.

We can recommend Hotel Camelia without reservation. It is not in the centre of the action (no bad thing) but there is a good bus service outside the door or, if you like to walk, it is a twenty-minute walk to the pier.

Room Tip: We asked for a rom with easy access and, when we arrived, we were offered a choice of two. We chose...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I decided to stay in Southend overnight whilst on business. I was given a couple of options by my companys travel provider.

I stayed at the Camelia mainly because of its location and parking.

I was greeted by a really nice lady who was very helpful. My room was in the annexe next door. The room itself was spacious, nicely decorated and had the usual amenities. The bathroom was adequate. I was happy with the room.

As the weather was poor I decided to dine at the hotel. The evening menu was varied. I opted for the A La Carte menu (the hotel do serve a set menu at a reasonable price). My food was tasteful and nice. I had no complaints.

The breakfast was cooked fresh and was good.

The staff were very nice especially the older lady who served me both my dinner and breakfast.

I had no complaints with this hotel. The added advantage was that the wifi was free. I regularly stay in Holiday Inns and they dont provide free wifi!!

Would I return ?? Yes - next time I stay overnight in Southend, I hope to return to this hotel.

Overall - a good experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Had a room on the top floor,turn right.Sea view.Very damp around the window and down the wall below tv.Chair up against the wall to hide damp.Could not turn radiator on.Told reception,they said they would tell the owner.Left my name and contact but did not hear from them.Had to take jacket that i put over chair to cleaners to get the mould cleaned off.Breakfast was nice.More a bed and breakfast than a hotel.

2 Thank benny b
Lawson, Australia
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this lovely Hotel ( really a B&B) right on the beach. Lovely room overlooking the ocean and ships passing by.
Woke each morning to the sunrise.
Beautifully appointed room with all facilities and scrupulously clean.
Staff were all very welcoming and the breakfast was great. Will stay there again when next in England.
Thoroughly recommend it.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Always enjoy our short breaks here, we stay in one of the suites adjoining the hotel, which have all you could possible wish for. Lovely bedroom, lounge , bathroom and small balcony overlooking the sea. Have just come back having spent three nights there to celebrate our 51st wedding anniversary, very helpful staff even carried our case up to our room.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as a last minute thought. The staff were very accommodating, the room was lovely and clean. We had a drink in the bar and dinner in the restaurant, very good and very enjoyable - would definately come again. Highly recommended.
S Laverty - Newcastle

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Had a great stay over two days few weeks ago. The weather was lovely hot and sunny. Staff was very friendly and helpfull with everything. The room was small but nice with a lovely sea view. Good location and close to pier and town centre. Good money value. Will definitely stay there again.