“Expensive and disappointing”

Simply Blues
Ranked #496 of 691 Restaurants in Southend-on-Sea
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Simply Blues, the home of classic American themed dining. Our doors have been open since 1981 and we have always been inspired by our love of all things USA. We live by the motto "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," which is reflected in our long-standing menu and its now infamous dishes. Don't think we're boring though. We do have an ever-changing specials board to keep things exciting. We love seeing our regulars and welcoming new customers, so keep us happy and book a table today.
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Went last weekend for a birthday party. This has been a regular treat in past years to celebrate and although pricey (4.50 for a beer) was always enjoyable. We were warned it had ‘gone downhill’ but decided on past experience to ignore this.
The previously great, but expensive, cocktails we have always enjoyed may as well have been non alcoholic slush puppies. Tasteless and almost a five apiece. I had two starters instead of a main, the deep fried mushrooms were full of oil and the other starter was enchilada type wraps but overcooked to the point of hard wraps and not very nice at all. My daughter had fishcakes (which she enjoyed) but on a bed of rather unpleasant couscous. On the plus side, they do nice chips, the burgers some had were okay (not great) and the ice creams good. This is now vastly overpriced ‘okay’ fayre and the fact that it used to be almost impossible to get a table on the night, and we were in an almost empty restaurant suggests a lot.
We will almost certainly be relocating for the next family celebration.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I love this place, the food is excellent, the service is great and the food is delicious. cant fault it.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

I visited here on a tuesday evening around 7 o'clock with my partner. I had been here around 5 years beforehand with my family and I had high exspectations. It was quite empty but I'm assuming it was because it was pancake night. We were seated at a nice table and I loved the decor of the place. Our drinks ordered was taken and within a minute it was at our table. We had a three course meal and the food was delicious, the bbq sauce is out of this world!, we also had the cookie dough dessert, WOW the best dessert I've ever tasted. Highly reccomened this place!

1  Thank Paige Q
Reviewed March 2, 2014

First Time Visit, last Thursday in February and we were lucky to get a table for two, I think that says something about how popular this place is. The two Waitresses/Bar Staff were welcoming, and friendly, the food was excellent, and served in good time, the ribs and chicken combo especially, but the Nacho's were a great starter (note portion size is big so only have a starter if your hungry or taking advantage of the doggy bag service) The prices are as one would expect for a good quality diner.
The staff seemed proud to work for Simply Blues, which was nice to see, and we had a pleasant evening and will be back now we have discovered it.

2  Thank stugrmi
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We went against our better judgement after the restaurant seemed rather reluctant to accept our telephone booking for a table for 6, as though we were somehow inconveniencing them. When ordering, we saw a notice on the menu, saying "Please tell us if it's your birthday, we want to know!" As it was our daughter's 9th birthday, we gave this information to the waitress, who completely disregarded it. We then had to put up with being asked four times in the space of 5 minutes whether we had all finished our meals (our children are not fast eaters and still had plenty on their plates). Finally, when we got up after paying, we were ignored as we gathered our own coats and left. Nobody opened the door, thanked us for our custom or even said goodbye. The only plus was that the food was reasonable, but we left in disbelief that we hadn't questioned our usual custom of leaving a 10% tip for service. What a shame that our manners were not reciprocated. We are not fussy about service and have never before felt compelled to write a restaurant review, but I am typing this within 5 minutes of our return home, so strikingly poor was the service we received. It's safe to say we will not be returning.

1  Thank Mike D