“Great food but a bit of a wait!”
Review of Simply Blues

Simply Blues
Ranked #492 of 670 Restaurants in Southend-on-Sea
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Simply Blues, the home of classic American themed dining. Our doors have been open since 1981 and we have always been inspired by our love of all things USA. We live by the motto "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," which is reflected in our long-standing menu and its now infamous dishes. Don't think we're boring though. We do have an ever-changing specials board to keep things exciting. We love seeing our regulars and welcoming new customers, so keep us happy and book a table today.
London, United Kingdom
“Great food but a bit of a wait!”
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Having rung up for a table at 4pm Saturday, I was pleasantly surprised to be offered a choice of two, one at 6pm, one at 10pm. Being the sort of person who doesn't particularly enjoy eating late, we went for the sitting at 6pm.

We arrived a little bit early and was seated immediately, right by the bar and by the stair leading to the toilet. Not a great seat but we booked late and could have been worse, we could have been stuck by the door.

A group of children were there for a kids birthday party and spent most of the time running round the restaurant, not really the restaurants fault, but could have done without it.

Shared a chilli nachos between us for a starter which were some of the best we had, definitely worth a try.

I had the Cajun chicken and bacon burger and my boyfriend had the pulled pork in a bun. Portions were very generous and the pulled pork was amazing.

Shared a sundae as a dessert, it was double the size that I expected but we just about managed it, was more style than substance truth be told.

All this plus two soft drinks came to around 40 pounds, great value to be honest and we will definitely be visiting again. The only thing I would complain about was the time it took for food to come out, we shared a starter and had quite simple meals, we were there for over two hours and felt like they were wanting the table back for an 8pm sitting, service was ok, but to a bare minimum, were asked if the meal was ok before we had barely picked our cutlery up!

Basildon
“Nice food, shame about the wait!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Visited with my daughters, one of whom was celebrating her birthday, my Mum and a friend. Our table was booked for 8.00pm but we didn't get seated until 8.15pm. We'd ordered drinks at the bar but these didn't arrive until after we'd been seated. Ordered our starters and mains and then proceeded to wait a good half hour before the starters arrived, even though they were very simple and wouldn't have taken long to prepare. We asked if there were problems in the kitchen but were told everything was fine and there wouldn't be a delay with our mains. This was far from the truth as we didn't get these until 10pm! There was little in the way of an apology and all we were offered was a round of complimentary drinks, but as two of our party were driving this was hardly a big deal. Needless to say we declined desserts and left. The food was ok, but nothing special and with the poor service we received I don't intend to visit again.

• Visited February 2013
essex
“Not like it used to be!!!”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

As a kid i remember this being my favourite restaurant...
I used to beg my parents to take me there...
I decided to take my children there and was refused at the door... fully booked (all i could see was empty tables)
so the next week i called and booked, the prices were astronomical... food was actually quite nice, service was shocking and im pretty sure the waitress was on something!!

Visited January 2013
Benfleet, United Kingdom
“What a let down”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Me and my family booked a table at this restaurant for a New Year's Eve meal. We have children so booked the table for 8.30 pm. When we arrived we were told to wait in the bar area. We waited for about 15 minutes before being offered a drink. After a further 15 minutes(it was now 9pm) we were told that our table would not be ready until 10pm and that they had over booked. There was no way that we could wait until 10pm for a table and then wait for put food. We had to leave the restaurant hungry and disappointed and as it was New Year's Eve we had no chance of getting in anywhere else. Thank you simply blues for ruining out NYE night out.

I will not ever be returning to this restaurant as the attitude of the staff was shocking they didn't seem to care, as we left the owner and the manager were outside having a cigarette!!! Lovely.

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Nice food, little expensive but worth it! I went with my partner and its nice for a little treat rather than your pub meals

1 Thank stacey d