Holiday Inn Southend
Tower Hotel Apartments(Southend-on-Sea)
Southend Guest House(Westcliff-on-Sea)
Ilfracombe House Hotel(Southend-on-Sea)
View Hotel
All reviewsrooftop restaurantan early flighttop floorretail parkairport runwaysuperior roomcar parkmodern hoteltrain stationclose to the airportthe air conditioningan upgradecomfortable roomsexcellent stayfew minutes walkone night stayfollowing morning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed here whilst visiting family and friends in Southend. We had 2 rooms a standard twin and an executive room.

The executive room was excellent, very spacious in the corner of the hotel so it had lots of glass and lots of light.

The room was clean and very well appointed, mini bar, tea/coffee making facilities, excellent lighting, plenty of power sockets and a large Samsung Smart television. It must have been at least a 37"!

The hotel was built in 2012 so everything felt and looked very new, we didn't try out the restaurant or bar so I can't comment on that.

No noise from the airport whatsoever but we were overlooking the front of the hotel and not the airport but still impressive not to hear anything at all.

Car parking is charged at £5 for guests and wifi is only free for the first 30 minutes.

Staff were polite, pleasant and efficient, they also recognised us as priority club members which doesn't happen very often!

Now for the bad point. There is only one but to be honest it's one of the main reasons for staying in a hotel and that's to sleep! The bed is probably one of the most uncomfortable we have ever slept in and this was all down to the mattress. 2 People have no choice but to sleep together in the middle of the bed! It's either very poor quality or as others have mentioned it has not been turned over correctly. If this issue was sorted out then we would have given an excellent rating but for this reason just 4.

Would go back and stay again but the bed needs to be sorted and it's not just one room as others have mentioned before.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
StevenJBrazil, Manager at Holiday Inn Southend, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your stay. I'm sorry the experience failed to meet your expectations and our usual standards. The Housekeeping team have been spoken to and all beds have been checked further to concerns raised.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future,

Reviewed August 5, 2013

In theory a great place to stay prior to an early flight from Southend. Standard chain hotel type rooms, airport view, all fine in theory. But the poor bar service and very sullen staff spoilt our pre holiday drinks. drinks took over 20 minutes to arrive despite the eye-watering prices for a cocktail. Meanwhile three staff stood idle chatting in the quiet next door restaurant for much of the time. At 11pm all bar service is refused unless you have a pre-registered credit card. They don't tell you this at check in though. Watched a succession of wannabe bar customers being sent down five floors to present their cards to reception again. Bar staff seemed angry if you complain. A manager was eventually helpful, it seemed the only way to get service was to ask to see same. Not a great experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your stay. I'm sorry the experience failed to meet your expectations and our usual standards and that you had a lengthy wait at check in and was not served at the bar promptly. All of the team will be spoken to about your feedback. We want to improve in the service that we offer so please do not hesitate to contact me further to discuss your stay on 01702 209 093.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future,

Reviewed August 3, 2013

From the time I booked with Theresa by phone the whole experience was great. I was told that for a small amount extra I could have a superior room and as I was staying for a week it made sense.

The 4th floor room was great and a stairway away to the bar and restaurant. The bathroom however was amazing with separate tub and shower. Hard water had made the rain shower head spurt in all directions and only half was working but a wipe with my hand across the flexible surface and it was gushing down beautifully.

The restaurant though slow (multi tasking for a chef is a skill) served great food and some lovely wines and the servers couldn't have been more friendly.

Special front desk mentions for Naz (sorry if I ruined that), Hannah and Simon who came and opened my safe for me.

One of the most surprising things about this hotel is how sound proof it is. Four Easyjet flights left between 6.30 and 7 every morning and I did not hear a thing, even when awake. I give this hotel full marks and I will be back for sure the next time I visit my family.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a superior room, well worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Haligone

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you had a good stay, and greatly appreciate all of your kind comments, I will ensure that Naz, Hannah and Simon read your great review.
We hope to have you back as a guest in the future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed August 1, 2013

...not so good for town!

The hotel is fairly new and is slap bang on the apron at Southend Airport.

Impressive is the way the whole building has soundproof glazing for all public areas, meaning that even if you have a runway facing room (recommended) you hear nothing at all!

The bar and restauarant area is clean and modern, though with a limited choice of draft and bottled lagers, beers and so forth.

The restaurant itself overlooks the runway and though the descriptions of the food seem a touch pretentious, the presnetation is even more so.

To Chef...steak pie comes in a pie dish with a pastry crust. Not a stew flat on a plate trimmed with couple of stale pastry crescent shapes. There is no need to deconstruct this dish, just do it well and it'll be fine!

All in, I will be going back here as it's near one of my clients and if I can be bothered, I'll go into town. However, be warned, Southend town centre, in my opinion, makes the village in Star Wars look like Monte Carlo...

Room Tip: Try and get a 4th floor room with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the airport. Fascinating!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your visit. I’m sorry had an issue with your steak pie during your stay. Our chefs at '1935' take great pride in the food they cook for all of our guests to ensure great quality. Your feedback has been shared with the team to ensure we learn from the comments made. I do hope you will give us another try in the future.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Great welcome with a very friendly and helpful receptionist who quickly checked us in and also gave some tips on where to visit nearby. Hotel room was really good, lots of space with full facilities. We had a room on the outside and did not hear any noise from the adjacent airport. If you stay at the hotel make sure you have a drink in the rooftop bar. The views across the airport and surrounding countryside are worth seeing.

Room Tip: Choose one that is on the opposite side from the airport.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ian M

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted that you had a great experience with us and we hope to have you back as a guest in the future.
Kind regards,