“Great food great ingredients great service”
Review of Mangetout

Mangetout
Ranked #16 of 681 Restaurants in Southend-on-Sea
Cuisines: British, Grill
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are a family run BBQ smokehouse and cocktail bar. Our catering revolves around the true food-lover! We serve seriously tasty food made with the best locally sourced produce.
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Best food in Southend by far. For good American cuisine look no further. Well presented, tasty good and smashing service 10/10

1  Thank dacy_ebd

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We visited Mangetout for the first time recently on a Friday night. It was incredibly busy and they were actually turning customers away (which is obviously a good sign!). The staff were very friendly and helpful. Food choices were on the whole good although I had my heart set on the Squid starter as featured on the website but this wasn't actually on the menu we were presented. The general age of the other diners seemed to be in the early to mid 20's and the bistro had a very buzzy atmosphere. Both starters and main courses were beautifully presented on slate platters and really couldn't be faulted. We both had Fillet Steak at £21ish but there were lots of other options available which were less priced. The toilets were upstairs (I'm not sure if there is a ground floor disabled toilet - so you may need to check). It's worth noting that house wine is also available by the carafe. All in all, I would recommend but as Mangetout seems so popular, it's probably best to book to guarantee a table nearer the weekend.

1  Thank nriches
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This lovely little place could easily be missed on a back street in Southend-on-Sea, but is well worth a visit. The staff and owner are all very friendly and polite and nothing is too much trouble. I always think all eating establishments should adopt this kind of attitude ,yet for too many it seems to be an impossible task. (How hard can it be to smile and talk to your customers?) But at Mangetout you will get a warm welcome.

The food is great too. It serves lot of meat dishes, great burgers and club sandwiches. Everything was well presented and tasted delicious.

Only thing we found slightly odd was there was no drinks menu and no dessert menu printed out, the friendly waitresses do explain what there is available, but I would of thought it would be easier to have a menu as it must get tiring explaining it all 100 times a day.

The restaurant itself is modern and very clean, as it is only small and there was music on we did have to talk loudly to hear each other but they are only minor things.

Would definitely go again as food and service is great.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We went here after a visit to the aquarium on the strength of the TA reviews. I really wanted to like it.
Pretty disappointing, I'm afraid.
It's kind of like pub grub but on a bad day. very few veggie choices.
My jacket potato had three toppings (one is standard, the others are chargeable) and this was still not enough for even half a jacket. Luckily my baby (who was seated on my lap, because they have yet to go to ikea to pick up an £11 high chair or two- despite having a kids' menu) hoovered up the rest of the plain potato.
My Mum's piri chicken wrap went down well but she couldn't eat the chips which were far too oily and dense.
Daughter enjoyed the omelette but this was also coated with oil.
The service was a bit weird. The waitress kept trying to take my daughter's plate before she'd finished and after she'd asked twice, she went back to the bar and said to the manager loudly, 'that's twice now she won't let me take it.' The manager seemed polite and friendly though.

3  Thank ping22
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husband and I lunched in Mangetout today (20 June 2013) having reserved a table, and were greeted warmly by the owner and his staff. The restaurant was, as always, very busy which is as it should be for this little gem. Our order, piri piri wrap with rustic chips for the Boss, ham off the bone, egg and chips for me was taken by a very pleasant waitress and delivered to the table far quicker than we expected in view of the number of customers. We were both delighted with the food especially my husband who stated that the wrap was zingy ie nice and spicy, with succulent chicken.
I'm not going to wax lyrical about the atmosphere, the service, the food or whatever, just suggest if you want to eat really great food in a bustling atmosphere, be greeted warmly and served by some of the best staff around, visit and judge for yourself. The prices are exactly what you would expect for this type of bistro but amazing value for the quality of the food - oh and for those of you who, like me, who can't survive without a decent mug of tea - that's wonderful too!