“Lord of the burgers!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mangetout

Mangetout
Ranked #18 of 641 Restaurants in Southend-on-Sea
Cuisines: American, British, Grill
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are a family run BBQ smokehouse and cocktail bar. Our catering revolves around the true food-lover! We serve seriously tasty food made with the best locally sourced produce.
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lord of the burgers!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

We both had a massive appetite so the quest for the best burger was back on. Being situated in the middle of Southend town with so much local competition, neither of us expected the quality of the food or the service at Mangetout to be so high. The service was friendly and very attentive. It's so nice to eat at a place where the waiter/waitress is passionate about their menu. The beautiful and quirky decor set an intimate atmosphere giving us a lovely experience.
We both ordered the bbq pulled pork burger for our main course, which was exceptional. Eating in american style restaurants such as Hoxton's Red Dog Saloon or Tower Hill's Bodean's, who are known for their man vs food style burgers, we couldn't believe that Southend offered something so much tastier. The fresh thick chunky strips of pulled pork make Mangetout's burgers a cut above the rest.
Looking forward to returning already to try something else on the menu and to witness my boyfriend attempt the gigantwich sandwich. I strongly recommend this restaurant to every single food lover and trust me it's worth the trip to Southend.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

“Had a really bad meal but dealt with professionally”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Visited with my wife on Saturday 9 February 2013. The place was very busy and we were lucky to secure a table.

Ordered drinks and then manager took our food order. I ordered the pork loin off the specials board and my wife ordered the mushroom and roasted veg risotto, the manager wasn't too sure if he had enough rice but he checked with the kitchen and there was enough rice to make the dish.

When the food appeared I noticed I had been given a lamb joint but as it looked so nice I persevered. My wife starting eating her risotto but could only manage half as it was swimming in oil. The manager swiftly came over and asked if everything was ok. On seeing the risotto he immediately apologised saying he had two trainee chefs working and they were not familiar with the dish.

He offered a free cheesecake, which was delicious and only charged for one meal. Not a total disaster and the matter was dealt with professionally with the minimum of fuss. Based on this and my own food being very good we shall return in the future.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chelmoboy
“Brilliant food & service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Took my painter for his birthday, it was christmas time & so they had a christmas menu but we decided to go with there normal menu & it was lush, food was cooked perfect & was recommend this place to everyone they even gave us a free birthday drink and the manger was fantastic thank u so much will be back again x

Rayleigh, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing food, best in Southend by far!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I went to Mangetout on Friday, we arrived a little early for the evening meal but were told they would do us steaks if we wanted despite us being early. We actually opted for burgers with chicken wings to start and were both massively impressed. I'm not a fan of chicken wings but ate the whole lot, they were amazing as were the burgers, easily the best burgers we have ever eaten. The staff were extremely friendly, helpful and prompt and the owner/chefs new cheesecake dessert was gorgeous! We found the prices extremely reasonable especially given the quality of the food. I would highly recommend this restaurant and will definitely be returning very soon.

“très bien !!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

I love this place , great food served and cooked with a fabulous passion for food... Well done to all staff for turning this small place into a wonderful establishment to eat in... The hardest part of your visit will be deciding on what to have, because as you sit down you cannot help but look at other diners food... really mouthwatering !!!.... Wonderful cheesecakes and serves the best movenpick ice cream . Makes my mouth water just by writing this review ...

• Visited November 2012