“Nice venue for lunch and dinner”
Review of The Mews

The Mews
Ranked #65 of 658 Restaurants in Southend-on-Sea
Cuisines: Bar, Gastropub, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Rayleigh, Essex
“Nice venue for lunch and dinner”
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We have been using the Mews for quite a few years. Standard of food is excellent with a few fusion type dishes as well as traditional such as roast on Sunday lunchtime. The menu choices have reduced over the last couple of years and I guess that is due to economic climate and costs of produce etc, saying that there is still a reasonable selection of starters and mains which should appeal to most discerning customers. Special mention on desserts - there is varied selection and traditional and exotic all very good. Wine list also has a good selection combining reasonable prices and a more expensive selection.
The ambience is very relaxed and a bit quirky (non matching chairs and tables etc). I've also found the staff to be excellent and very helpful, a good local restaurant that mixes good service and food.
We particularly enjoy relaxed Sunday afternoon lunches.

Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Superb food”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is fast becoming one of my favourite restaurants....

We recently took my parents and sister there for a family evening and we all had a lovely evening. The atmosphere in the upstairs restaurant was warm and cosy and the food (although I felt on the pricey side at times) was delicious.

A couple of days ago we returned with some friends for a quick lunch (which ended up with us being there for about 4 hours as we were enjoying the wine so much) and we were all amazed at the great food (and price) on their lunch menu. We all selected different dishes from a cub sandwich to the delicious chilli and will be back again soon.

London, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

2 of us ate here on the 19th February, as a kind of late Valentines treat. We were shown to a table but were able to move to another without any fuss. Will was running the floor on his own, and did a very good job if it too.

We both had beer to drink - she had a Stella Black and I had an Old Growler porter from the Nethergate brewery in Suffolk, who make some awesome beers. Our starters were fantastic, my other half's especially; her scallops were some of the biggest I've seen and best I've tasted.

Our main courses arrived in good time and my jerk chicken with sweet potato mash was very tasty, with just the right amount of smoked mayo. My partner had a chicken and mushroom pie which again was lovely.

We decided to skip dessert as we were so full from the well-sized delicious starters and mains. I've eaten here a few times and it's always a great experience - will definitely be coming back.

• Visited February 2013
“The mews”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Me and my husband went there for my birthday, and all I can say is wow, service excellent beautiful surroundings, and my starter of potted crab( which was a first for me!) was delicious, and main sea bass just as good, my husband was very impressed with his also, pigeon, and then a best steak he has ever tasted....his own words , trying to find another excuse to go again lol

Basildon, United Kingdom
“Dinner at The Mews”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

3 of us were fortunate to eat here last Wednesday , there wasn't a dish on the menu that I wouldn't eat, I had scallops to start then fillet steak , peppercorn sauce with roast potatoes and veg , which was cooked to perfection( it was the largest piece of fillet I have ever eaten) to finish I had .the peanut butter cheesecake which was to die for. All 3 of us were delighted with our meal and can't wait to return, well done!