“quirky place, excellent fresh food”
Review of The Mews

The Mews
Ranked #59 of 688 Restaurants in Southend-on-Sea
Cuisines: Bar, Gastropub, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 3, 2013

There are several quirky places to eat in Southend with great food that are similar in interior design, and this is one of the best. Price wise for us on a Sunday lunch time was around £30 each for main/dessert/bottle wine/ two coffees. Nice that although it was Sunday, you were not just stuck with a roast dinner.
I had the lamb shank and my friend had Cajun chicken breast for main course. Sign of a good restaurant is often in whether they can be bothered to make their own desserts rather than buy them in. These are made on the promises and gorgeous.
Food was piping hot and very good quality and the veg was not over done. This restaurant looks like nothing special from the outside, but is well worth a visit. Bare brick walls and mismatched wooden tables and chairs is the man decor. Service was a little slow on this occasion, but it was very busy.
Will definitely be back for more!

Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

I had the scallops to start and the confit of duck. The starter was extremely generous with 3 giant scallops perfectly cooked, this cost around £8. The main was also good and piping hot. Others had the Sunday roast, pie and all looked delicious.

Service was friendly. Expect to pay about £25/ person for a 2 course meal at lunch on a weekend. I've been here during the week for a main course and paid about £12-15 including a drink.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

took some friends for a thank you treat to the mews as it being my number one fave place to go. ambiance as always fantastic, staff are so friendly without being too overbearing. will was our server and was there just as we needed him, no more, no less. starters ordered pork belly with scallops, chicken parfait and wild mushrooms, all amazing. next mains was steak with peppercorn sauce which is the best steak i have ever tasted in my life! chicken pie and duck leg with smoked bacon and chestnuts, we all cleared our plates and even when asking for mash or chips instead of what was stated on menu this was not a problem. desserts ordered choclate and pecan cheesecake and treacle sponge pudding, again amazing. perfect end to a perfect meal. cannot recommend this tucked away place enough!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

The Mews a little gem of Southend.

We started the night with a little refreshment in the downstairs bar.

Upstairs in the restaurant the food was simply gorgeous from the Liver Parfait to the Duck with Blackberry Jus and what can only be discribed as a little piece of heaven on a plate which was a chocolatety, nutty and chunchy cheese cake.

The staff there are friendly and attentive yet not over bearing.

We are very much looking forward to our next encounter at The Mews.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Well what can I say? I went to The Mews for Sunday lunch, the food was great, everything I ordered was 'as advertised' and most defiantly lived up to any preconception I had prior to my dinning experience, the starters had been cooked perfectly, I think a starter at times can be a little bit of a disappointment as more focus goes into the main, but not here, no not at this place it was fantastic, my main was good but could have been a little better, but was most defiantly above average. My partner had the risotto and she said it was fantastic.

The front of house and general service was a little lazy a times and it with a slight delay in my order I couldn't help but think all our orders had been taken at once which caused a little congestion, this however did not effect the quality of my food.

All in all a great meal, if the service worked a little smarter would have been perfect.