“Good Location, expensive parking !”

Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Southend-on-Sea
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed here while visiting friends in Leigh on Sea as it was reccomended as having good amenities and being convenient.
The check in was efficient and businesslike and the room was big, the beds comfortable and it had a nice sea view. WiFi worked perfectly and there was a good gym, so no complaints or issues at all.
We did have a couple of drinks in the bar on our last evening in town and the service was quick enough and attentive.

Something to note is that we found the entrance to the hotel a bit difficult to find, although the hotel itself is set in quite a prominent location and easy to see.
Also, there is no hotel parking, the nearest alternative being the shopping centre parking lot opposite, which is quite expensive if you are going to be in town, not using your car, during the daytime when the Hotel discount is not applicable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jonathan M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,266)

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed here in June 2012 with a group of friends for 2nights for my birthday weekend. The hotel was very good quality for a 3 star hotel. The bathroom facilities were great and the beds were decent although we did have to ask for more pillows and covers as there wasn't enough, but that was sorted quickly. The hotel also has a mini gym which we used for a couple hours. Overall the hotel was great however it was ruined on the last day by one of the members of staff talking down to us like we were little children and giving us all dirty looks about the amount of noise we 'apparently' made during the night. If a member of staff warned us about the noise we were making at the time, we would have definitely kept the noise down. After all we was a group of teenagers!!! Apart from that lovely hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nicole S
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We arrived in the dark so it was a lovely surprise to open the curtains in my room to see the wonderful view. Service was a nightmare in the bar where we became invisible customers for well over 20 mins until we gave up! Room was very large with extremely small shower room but perfectly adequate for a one night stay

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
1  Thank Integrity21
Robert P, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear Integrity 21

Thank you for taking time to send through your comments I must apologise for the bar service you experienced during your stay this was not to our usual level of customer service and this has been addressed, so please do accept my apologies.

I was delighted to read your comments on the views you take in from our sea facing bedrooms as they are wonderful and a real asset to us!

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Palace very soon...

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed here with work. Room was clean and tidy with everything you would need as a business traveller. Restaurant is a bit austere and the food is ok. There is only discounted parking available in the nap opposite.

1  Thank Michael J

Dear Michael J

Thank you for taking time to send through your feedback I agree we offer all you need as a business traveller and thank you for high lighting that, we think it important to balance the needs of both business and leisure travellers alike and cater to all markets in the best way possible.
You will be pleased to know that we are relaunching new menus very soon that will help enhance the current offering and ensure we remain competitively priced with in our market.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Palace very soon...

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Had the most enjoyable stay here last Saturday night. We arrived about 7.30 in the evening and parking the car and checking in were all very straight forwards. Our room was absolutely amazing, i could not have asked for more. It had everything we would need for our stay - except from maybe an extra blanket. We went out for the evening and didn't come back until about 1.30 in the morning, and thought we were locked out of the hotel, but then we realised how good the security is. You needed your key to open any door to the hotel, which i thought was so good and made me feel so much safer. Breakfast was lovely the next morning, really good start to the day, and the staff were all really friendly. Checking out was just as easy as checking in which was good, and the car park was very simple as well.

The only bad thing i can mention, which i did mention to reception when we checked out, was that we had a room with a balcony which was lovely, but as it was dark when we arrived we couldn't see the amount of cigarette butts out there until the morning. Myself and my friend i was with are both smokers and we noticed the signs all over the room saying that it was a non smoking establishment and we would be fined for smoking on the balcony, so we respected the signs and went back downstairs and outside the front of the hotel to smoke. So when we saw the cigarette butts on the floor in the morning we were quite annoyed that we had the decency to respect the hotel, whereas others didn't, and as they had not been cleaned away before we arrived - we didn't want to expect a fine coming through the post !

Room Tip: Definitely pay more for a sea view room :)
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amzzzz7

Dear Amzzzz7

Thank you for taking time to share your positive feedback I do appreciate what you have said with regard to the balconies, we have addressed the smoking situation and will continue to monitor this. I am so pleased you had such a wonderful stay at the Palace and found the security to be a comfort, as I do.
A comfortable spacious room and excellent breakfast combined with the stunning views from our balconies combine to make the perfect "away from it all" destination and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon......

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Not long ago I attended wedding reception for my nephew. Almost didn`t get past reception. We had booked well in advance and asked to be accomodated on same floor - 3 rooms for myself, my wife, our daughter, her husband, their two year old twins and my 80 year old mother in law. Reason for same floor was to assist each other. This request was lost in the clouds. We asked `Simple` on reception to see if he could juggle some rooms around to accommodate. Some other guests in the wedding group said they didnt mind changing rooms if it helped. But no, Mr Simple O` Viscious was not prepared to do this. When we became exasperated with his attitude, we requested to see the duty manager. According to him, he wasn`t available. I remember commenting to my wife that we needed to speak to the organ grinder not the monkey. Simple on hearing this told me that we were in danger of having the "facilities of the hotel withdrawn from" from our possible use. With that he proceeded to give us our rooms, on 3 seperate floors. After speaking with the grooms father who was picking up the bar bill (around £2500), one of the receptionists reduced my room cost by £29. Whoopee! A nice gesture. Around the end of August, I received a phone call from ? Gino, who is part of the management team. He apologised and said that as recompense, he would arrange for the general manager (Robert Price) to contact me when he returned on September 4th and we could arrange a free nights accomodation. I thanked him and felt that I would not formalise my complaint. Around the middle of September, I remembered the offer and also that Mr Price had not contacted me. I rang to speak to him and was told that he was not available but the receptionist would pass the message on personally and ask him to contact me. As our wedding anniversary was on the 29th September, I thought this would be a good date to take up the offer of a free night. I am still waiting for Mr Price`s phone call. So beware when booking in at the Palace Park Inn, there is at least one person who needs to have more training on customer care. Perhaps even two.

Room Tip: Try to have a female receptionist, they were very nice.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank GerryFBasildon
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Having travelled and stayed in Southend for 40 years I was pleased to try this newish hotel. Shame was I found it lacking. It was at best a superior Travelodge. Plug did not fit in the sink in my room, heating was slow to work, the receptionist advised incorrect times for meals, the restaurant was not open at 6.30pm and the staff were surly as they didn't want to serve guests after they were open. Add to that it is a confusing layout and I saw many elderly people lost inside the place!

It has all the signals of being a decent hotel but it is a let down on so many levels. The breakfast was sadly lacking in range of stuff and the English Breakfast was deifinately a lite version. I'm sure it can be improved but I won't rush back.

3  Thank smartalec1954
Robert P, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Palace Southend-on-Sea, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear smartalec

Thank you for taking time to send through your comments I am sorry you did not feel more positive about your stay, I do appreciate your comments regarding the restaurant and I am pleased to say that the restaurant team has been enhanced and service aspects addressed.

We are due to relaunch our new breakfast offering shortly so I do hope you will come back to the Park Inn Palace as I know when you visit us again you will take away with you the kind of experience one would expect