“Spotless and welcoming but a few niggles...”

Hamiltons Boutique Hotel
“Spotless and welcoming but a few niggles...”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed one night, for our anniversary, and had the Nelson's Lookout room. I have to say that anything I saw of the hotel was absolutely spotless (and I stay in a lot of hotels for work so I know this is rarely the case- and I'm not even that hard to please!). There was an awful lot of attention to detail that had been given to the hotel and we had a warm welcome too.

There were a few niggles which wouldn't stop me staying again but were a shame. We could never access the advertised free Wifi and the breakfast was cold- not lukewarm, but cold. Which was a shame as we were the only people in the dining room at that point; I think it was because of my vegetarian sausage, which wasn't great to be honest. So the included breakfast was fairly underwhelming. We also couldn't open the window in the room, which I dislike, especially on a warm day. However I would consider staying again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
slowley, Manager at Hamiltons Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was very upset reading your review when you said your breakfast was cold. We cook our breakfast, mainly to order, apart from the sausage and hash brown, these take 20 mins and we would not want to make our guests wait that long. We hold these in the warming oven and I can only think that while your vege sausage was cooking (to order) we turned it down too much to stop it being over cooked. Everything else is cooked when the order comes in and our plates are warm too. Wifi (free) in Nelson's can waiver, but if you come down one flight to pick it up, it should not be a problem. Your window, of course, can be opened, if you were having difficulty, we could have helped of course. We do hope you can come again and we can amend any issues.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I was in Southend on a business trip on a Tuesday evening. The hotel is spotless, the room felt like been at home it was so well decorated and comfortable. After waking up from the best nights sleep I have ever had at a hotel the view from the room (Nelsons Lookout) was f the Thames estuary and was a lovely sight to wake up to. Lovely clean and modern bathroom, I only had cereal for breakfast as I had to get to my meeting but cooked breakfast looked lovely.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, it's lovely.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Belfast
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Lovely little hotel with excellent service provided by all! Breakfast was freshly cooked and served with a smile, if I'm back in Southend I know where I'll be staying!
We were staying for two nights and it's ideally placed for a stay in the town with great views. I Hate to be negative but I would add a word of warning, while our room was spotless and very quirky it was at the top of a large stair case, however it's fair to say we were offered help with our luggage. Thanks for your hospitality!!!

Room Tip: The balcony suite looked lovely.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We got married at the Pavilion on Southend Pier on Saturday, and had Hamilton's booked for the Friday and Saturday nights with family and friends. It was a perfect stay. Rachel, John and Retta were lovely - not in our faces, but always close by when we needed them. The rooms are decorated beautifully in different themes. Nu Hubby and I were in the Balcony Suite, which was ideal - a huge lounge area with separate bedroom so there was loads of room to get ready, comfy sofas and a huge tv. The balcony was a delight and the perfect space to have a chill and a gaze out onto the pier. Breakfast was excellent, especially the full English on Sunday morning! We have no hesitation in recommending this gorgeous b&b to anyone!

Room Tip: The Balcony Suite and Hamilton Suites are perfect for romantic views!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Coventry, UK
Reviewed June 3, 2014

My wife and I travelled to Southend to attend a family event and stayed for one night in the Hamilton Suite. This is a lovely bright spacious room with 3 windows overlooking the Esplanade with views of the amusement park and pier. The bed is king-size and was comfortable and there is a small sofa. The ensuite bathroom is also spacious and is equipped with a large powerful shower including body jets. The toiletries provided are confined to mini containers of soap, shampoo and lotion.

Having been provided the opportunity to view the other bedrooms we would say the Hamilton is the nicest. The popular balcony room sits beneath the Hamilton and therefore has similar views but the sleeping area is separate and the suite seemed a little darker and more austere. Accordingly, unless you have a penchant for sitting on a very narrow balcony (watching the rain!) then I consider the Hamilton is much better value. The other bedrooms are quite small by comparison.
The accommodation is incredibly clean throughout. The owners were convivial, helpful and accommodating.

We enjoyed the breakfast. A choice of cereals was available and there was a predominantly grape based fruit cocktail. The ‘full English’ was excellent with good quality bacon and sausage. In fairness, the owner could have been a little more attentive in enquiring whether extra toast and a fresh pot of tea were required.

It is unfortunate that parking is an issue. The meters are both prolific and expensive - £4.50 for 3 hours. The car parks are cheaper but invariably full with drivers jockeying for position. The owners kindly provided a map showing where free residential parking was available but we failed to find a vacant spot during our stay unless prepared to park a considerable distance away. Fortunately, overnight meter parking is free (6pm to 9am)

Notwithstanding the parking problem, we enjoyed a comfortable stay and on balance I would have no hesitation in recommending the Hamilton’s Boutique Hotel

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Well what can i say..... I must say this is the best B&B I have ever stayed in, the staff are very friendly and helpful. I booked the suite room, and boy was I impressed when my daughter and I were shown to our suite, the living area was beautiful and the old fashion balcony was divine. They bedroom was ample in size with a toliet and shower room. The breaskfast was lovely and you did not have long to wait. I would highly recommend this B&B it is outstanding

Room Tip: If you dont mind paying that little extra I would definaltly recommend the Balcony Suite room it is...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
London
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We stayed overnight in this gorgeous boutique B&B, while looking over some property in Southend. We were greeted by the owner, who was lovely, and made us feel very welcome. We booked into The Trafalgar Room, a cosy double. It was a little snug, but hey ho, for a couple is fine. The decor was lovely. Quirky furniture and beautiful toile wallpaper. Lovel multi coloured chandeliar. Possibly, the modern pattern on roller blind didn't work with style of rest of decor. Just a tiny observation. The tea & coffee tray brilliant. Vast quantities of coffee, tea, sugar & milk. Not the usual sparse portions supplied by B&b's . Bottled water & quality biscuits were also provided with generous sized mugs. Nice touches like crystal glass sugar container and also a magazine left by the bedside, with a portfolio of the b&b, containing recommendations on places to eat etc. The en suite bathroom with shower enclosure, was fine. Nice touches like vintage mirror, soap dispenser etc. We awoke after a comfortable nights sleep, looking forward to breakfast. We were not disappointed. Fruit, yoghurt, choice of cereals and a wonderful home made fruit salad were laid out to help oneself. Jams and honey in miniature pots and lovely white china with huge cups were supplied on each table. We both ordered coffee and got a cafetiere each, which was nice. A little suggestion, for such a luxurious b&b, is to replace the portions of butter and marmalade in plastic packs & sachets of tomato sauce. We have stayed in a lot of high end B&b's & hotels, yours being one of the best :) but they usually either put cut portions of butter out per table, little ramekins of tomato ketchup or communally laid out in dishes( bar the plastic packets) near the cereals etc to help oneself. Looks so much nicer, is no more expensive and can still be hygienic as serving spoon/ knife supplied. The cooked breakfast, was amazing. Best we have had, with fine good quality ingredients. Compliments to the chef...the owner. She came out to say hello, ( nice touch) when we just finished, in her white apron/ chef whites. The breakfast dining room, was lovely, looking out, one could see the estuary. 2 comfy Sofa's to read one of the plentiful books in hallway & a supply of magazines if one wished to linger in the breakfast room. Afternoon tea with home made goodies is served as an option for larger groups. Would be lovely if it could also be for couples / minimum of two, as would have loved to experience it. Hamilton's is wonderful. A gorgeously luxurious b&b more akin to a small luxury hotel. we loved it, and the staff and owner really made our stay fabulous. We can't wait to return :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple