All reviews afternoon tea lobster omelette luxury boutique hotel amazing cocktails wet room few niggles room type car park is small continental breakfast sandwiches well stocked bar sunday roast overlooking the estuary beautiful decor a king size bed hotel bar lovely hotel
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We recently visited the Seven for afternoon tea for a mini baby shower for our heavily pregnant friend. My friends and I, having young children and busy lives, were very much looking forward to the experience and some ‘time out’.

In very brief terms, shortly after arrival, we noticed the arrival of a princess party, who were soon joined by a singing Belle impersonator with her own sound system. The children were of course understandably excited and enjoying themselves, singing and dancing along for the duration.

Unfortunately, this changed our experience entirely and when presented with the bill of over £100 for 3 people, we raised our concerns in a polite manner. The front of house completely disregarded our comments, he was very patronising and spoke loudly in an attempt to make us feel uncomfortable. He told us he enjoyed Belle’s performance and the children's party. We explained to him, that we were glad he enjoyed it but he was not a paying customer. The experience was just not what we expected, the hotel is marketed as a boutique hotel and to be honest, we instead felt like we were at a children’s party. The way it was dealt with was so poor, with the offer to take a tea and lemonade off the bill and then being told 'I left the service charge (which was more than the cost of the tea and lemonade) because I didn't think it was fair to take it out on the waitress’. Firstly, we had already decided to leave the service charge, as our waitress was lovely but secondly, a service charge is discretionary and certainly not for the front of house to decide whether we ask for it to be removed.

I did say that I felt that it would be fair to deduct one afternoon tea from the bill but was told in no uncertain terms no, we were also advised others were complaining so presume the restaurant did not want to lose money. Instead they have lost repeat business.

To avoid this review, I emailed twice as I was confident that we were just unlucky as I could not imagine that this was usual, however I was ignored on both occasions without even any courteous reply. It appears the Seven, don’t value customers or customer experience and they appear to have a very questionable approach to customer service. This was my first time at the Seven and as a comparable, I am a regular visitor to the Roslin, the Seven falls very short of service standards (which appears to be reflected in terms of Tripadvisor and I can see why).

Myself, my party of friends (and I am sure the majority of other guests from this day) will not be returning.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I like the seven hotel but something bothered me recently, maybe more than it should.
I bought 4 cocktails at £10 each, and a chicken dish from the bar menu for £4.50.
When I was given the bill, a service charge of £4.50 had been added. When I queried it, the barman told me he’d been told told to add a service charge when food was ordered. Which meant in effect I was paying £9 for the chicken, and £4.50 for someone to carry it 10 yards. I told him I wasn’t paying it, and to take it off, but that’s not the point.
Comment please, 7 hotel ?

2  Thank paulbJ1364GU
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Having spent New Year's Eve here I emailed the hotel with my concerns.. That was over a week ago and todate have not heard from them (even an acknowledgement would have been nice). We were a group of twelve with seven rooms booked. Our rooms had been allocated in advance and one of the group had paid extra for a sea view. This room was given to the first arrival of our group not the person who had booked. Great start !
Our room was very nice but four out of the seven rooms had to complain to reception about the shower. Firstly had to get it on and secondly had to stop it spurting across and soaking the towel rail. Two of us also had to put towels by the door to stop the water soaking the carpet in the bedroom due to the water not draining away. One of our group had to vacate the toilet to retrieve toilet paper from the holder which was the other side of the room.
Onto the D.J. who seemed a really nice chap but who entertained himself for the first two hours. Strange he did not notice not a single sole was on the dance floor until someone spoke to him about his choice of music.
Breakfast which you had to pay for on top of the room - well you had a few choices but if you ordered a full English this did not include fruit juice or cereal. You could have these two items but you had to purchase a continental breakfast in order to get them. Also do not imagine you will be getting crispy bacon or a properly cooked sausage. I had to ask the chef to ensure he was fully cooking the sausages but he looked at me as if I was asking for the world. Oh and by the way you only get one slice of toast per person.
It may appear I am one of those people who love to complain but our group of friends have been spending New Year in Southend for around 10-12 years (staying at a nearby hotel) and we have never ever had to make a complaint.

Date of stay: December 2019
1  Thank Sandra B
Reviewed January 1, 2020 via mobile

I was not sure what to expect but very pleasantly surprised at the top of the Cliffs.
The staff were very polite and helpful .
The room was a nice size and also the bathroom was large and very clean. It is worth a trip.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2019

I booked a seaview room for the night. I travelled from 1hr 20 mins to book into hotel to find my seaview room was not available. I was told there was a leak in my booked room and was offered a very small room with no window. I cancelled the booking and had to reorganise my sleeping arrangements. I see the hotel has not refunded me.

No one telephoned to let me know my room was not available either.

Disappointed.