“Lunch, Dinner and Entertainment!”
Review of Rail House - CLOSED

Rail House
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Sharon Road
Description: The new owners are creating a more casual and fun atmosphere for everyone. The upstairs Bourbon Lounge is open with great live entertainment. Also, with the addition of new HD tv's, our customers will be able to enjoy their favorite sports anywhere in the bar. The Main Dining room offers casual to elegant faire. The Rail House Bar offers a daily Happy Hour. All fresh ingredients.
“Lunch, Dinner and Entertainment!”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I started off my day for my getaway weekend at the Rail House for lunch on the outdoor patio. It was heavenly to sit out and dine while watching and listening to the trains in the peaceful little town of Glendale. I had the Salmon Burger and my boyfriend had one of the Flatbread Pizza's which were bother very good. Later that evening we went up to the lounge and had a late dinner while listening to the music of Bam Powell & The Trouble Makers". The food was reat and the music and atmosphere was very entertaining and pleasantly laid back. The staff was very friendly like that of a small town and a place where locals tend to go because of the friendly service. The owner, I believe his name was Jay even sat down at the end of the night to play a few tunes with the band. All in all the whole day of dining experiences at the Rail House were very nice!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Nancy P

Liberty Township, Ohio
“NOT WORTH A VISIT!”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Easter brunch was a nightmare! Rude hostess ( not good since that is thefirst person that you come in contact with)! Cold food that was mediocre at best(would say Golden Corral would have been a better choice...at least there food is HOT and not good!) Disorganized staff. If you knew as an owner you were expecting 400 guests for Easter brunch you should have been more prepared and prepared/trained your staff in advance. Also, it was nice that the menu changed from the time I made the reservation to the day of the event. Overpriced. Could have went to a very nice brunch a few doors down....!

Ashley A, Owner at Rail House, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
We are so sorry to hear about your experience at Rail House. We are learning and improving every day, and your comments help us to know how we can better serve our guests. We hope that you will come in and give us a try again, and check out some of the great improvements we've made. We would like to make this right, so please email us at railhouse1854@gmail.com.

Thank you!
Cincinnati
“Unexpected Dining Experience”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

By fluke, we ended up at the Rail House on March 23, 2013 (that was a Saturday). We were wondering if the old Iron Horse was still opened and the Schoolhouse Restaurant (further drive time involved) was our next choice. Being life-long residents of the Cincinnati area, neither one of us had been back to Glendale Square, so we drove back and found a lovely "neighborhood" square with shops and restaurants. We decided to give the Rail House (the former Iron Horse under new direction) a try...unexpected decision.

It was almost 2pm, so consider our dining experience to be lunch. The parking lot was virtually empty (not a good sign) and we couldn't tell, immediately, if the restaurant was open. Although the banner outside was encouraging NCAA fans to come in, have a beer and watch the game. The look of the restaurant, very upscale (gorgeous, as a matte of fact) did not seem to jive with an NCAA fan-sports barish fan base. We went inside and the impression of high-end continued. Polished wood, glistening copper accents, linens, stained glass, etc. I thought the pricing would be way out of the budge for a casual lunch. We checked out a menu and were both unexpected pleased with the selection and pricing.

We waited for about 5 minutes, downstairs, at the hostess desk, without any sign of a hostess. We moved around a bit, hoping to jar a reaction from someone nearby, but it was very quiet on the first floor. Finally we saw a sign posted on the main dining room door, "Please join us upstairs for lunch." The size was small and nondescript and the lack of prominence may make many think the restaurant isn't open for lunch. I do suggest a bit better signage if they aren't going to station anyone downstairs. We hoped on the elevator and went upstairs.

The upstairs was as impressive as downstairs. A lovely lobby/gathering area, outside the main dining area which surrounded an impressive bar. There was a beautiful fireplace in the room, lots of exposed wooden beams and a corner for live entertainment. Did I mention the numerous, subtly placed televisions? Definitely not a sports bar, but definitely offering the option to watch. It was almost a weird juxtaposition. We were greeted immediately by the server/bartender/manager? Doug Kay is referenced on our receipt, as being our server. He was very welcoming, friendly and easily made suggestions from the menu. Only one other table was occupied in the dining area. We either hit the Rail House at the perfect time, lunch service is new for them or it was another bad sign.

My date and I choose a corner table to take advantage of the wonderful windows and view of the railroad tracks. At least two trains came roaring through, during our lunch. It was most certainly an unexpected touch of local ambiance to the experience. Check out the historical museum and plaque while you are there - this is definitely a slice of local history.

We each ordered a soft drinks and those prices fell on the lower end of the ever-increasing scale at $2.00 each with free refills. Although the appetizers looked great, we each opted for a sandwich plate. My date ordered the Brisket Po'Boy ($14.00) which arrived with a generous helping of sweet potato fries. I ordered the Prime Rib sandwich ($16.00) which arrived piled high, with a cup of au jus for dipping and side of sweet potato fries. Doug suggested the Prime Rib sandwich, stating it was his favorite and I can understand why. The portion of prime rib was extremely generous, as it was tender. Both the au jus and horseradish creme were perfect complements to the sandwich. My date's Brisket Po'Boy looked delicious and appealing and he seemed to enjoy it every bite. We skipped dessert, although everything looked delicious. Instead we went across the square to the Blue Bird Bakery for a Rum Ball, Praline Blondie and Key Lime Square (all of which were adequate, but the service and local-owned/operated factors are the star there).

At the Rail House, the service was casual, but prompt and friendly (remember there were only two occupied tables). My expectations were shattered and I was thrilled to have found a new and unexpected neighborhood gem that also held quite a place in Cincinnati/Glendale history. Good service. Delicious food. Moderately priced. Incredible atmosphere., Yes, we would go back without hesitation. The Rail House has a Facebook page, updated often with specials - for more info, check them out on Facebook and then make your reservations. You will be sure to have an unexpectedly pleasant dining experience.

• Visited March 2013
“Nice setting a decent food, but probably bit off more than they could chew”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I would like to try this restaurant again on a non-holiday, but it is unlikely that we will make the effort. We had Easter Brunch at the Rail House and we definitely left with mixed feelings. The staff was definitely overwhelmed by the event. We had family members meeting at the restaurant from several different areas in Ohio and Kentucky and we did not arrive at exactly the same time (15 to 20 minute span). Even though our reservations were at 3:00 and there were many empty tables to sit at downstairs, the hostess was hesitant to seat us (if they were full I would have completely understood the issue). Our waitress was not very attentive and we sensed that she was not in a good place that day. The items on the buffet seemed to change as they ran out of some food and substituted other dishes. Some of the substitutions were good (like the shrimp and grits) others were not so much...

On a positive note I liked the setting. The staff manning the buffet line were extremely nice and the omelet cook had to make you smile. The food was good... but inconsistent. Some dishes that should have been hot were cold. Some had great taste... others were unremarkable. They ran out of dishes and did not bring in substitutes in a timely manner, etc. We did get charged for our drinks, unlike another reviewer who made it an issue. There was salad available by the time we got to the buffet line.

My sense that this normally is a good restaurant and with good food and service. Unfortunately I feel that were overwhelmed by the Easter Brunch and have a lot of room for improvement.

Ashley A, Owner at Rail House, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are sorry that your Easter Brunch experience was not up to our standards, and we do hope you will join us again on a non-holiday as you mention in your review. We have made a lot of changes and improvements and would like to invite you back in to try us again. Please send us a private message at railhouse1854@gmail.com so that we can contact you directly to make this right. Thank you!
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Easter Joke”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

New Management/owners and first time trying to do an Easter brunch. Sully server who forgot drink orders and didn't smile. I called several weeks before Easter to ask of menu. Surprise - what they told me on the phone didn't match what they had. I complained to the manager today and was told they changed their menu multiples times. For $25 you could get cold eggs, grits, bacon, sausage, pancakes, french toast, ham, turkey, peel n eat shrimp, thin crab legs, smoked salmon, freezer plain bagels, melons. I asked where were the salads and lunch items that they promised. Then they told me Mac n cheese would be brought out (it was after 2PM and it was ending at 4pm). Dessert consisted of cookies, cheesecake (which they ran out of), crummy carrot cake, and mystery cake with pudding. It was a crime that they charged $25 for it. They tried to charge me extra for the drinks but after I mentioned it was posted on their website originally as included (and I was told that on the phone) they backed-down.

We heard their workers say they weren't prepared for the people. Also ran out of turkey and ham. I feel bad for the people that came after us. They were nice to make my daughter a Caesar salad after I made a big deal on the buffet line. Will never go back again and urge everyone to stay away.