“Don't ask for pudding or expect all listed items in a salad”
Review of Ashlyns

Ashlyns
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Rural Essex UK
“Don't ask for pudding or expect all listed items in a salad”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Went to restaurant to meet up with veggie friend for Saturday lunch. Both ordered a blue cheese walnut and pear salad. Lots of cheese but the pear and walnut were missing except for some tiny tiny crumbs/savings and the handful of salad leaves were all covered in a dressing. Very disappointing thus we hoped that a good pudding would save the day but sadly non available,except ice cream and cake . Will not be going again

1 Thank OurTwoPennyWorth

uk
“Nice way to spend a couple of hours”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

When we first arrived with my niece and her 2 year old daughter, we were a little disappointed at the amount of animals to see but as the day went on, we did enjoy the playbarn and the ponies and baby chickens. We then had lunch at the restaurant and the staff were very attentive and polite as they were in the playbarn, we had lovely sandwiches and chips all in all for a cost of around £31 including lunch we thought this was a nice place to visit.

1 Thank brownteam
Essex
“Definitely improving!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I've been to Ashlyns on lots of occasions to buy organic food, there isn't a huge selection but what there is, is good and if you are into meat, I am told it is excellent.

There just used to be a few pigs and goats for the kids to see there, but now they have a fabulous new play area, a good range of animals and a lovely walk around the lake.

What lets Ashlyn's down is the restaurant, the staff are not very friendly or helpful. We turned up a few weeks ago at 1pm and the downstairs was full, and because I am disabled, I cannot get upstairs. When I explained I could not make the stairs the waiter just shrugged his shoulders and said 'there is nothing I can do' and walked away. I was there with my grandson last week for the farm, and we thought we would have something to eat. Given their unique selling point is 'organic', the food on offer should be full of healthy wholefood meals with a range of veggie options. Instead you find sandwiches and salads which, to be honest, you can find anywhere else. They are definitely missing something here but don't let that stop you visiting the farm, it really is extremely good value and well recommended.

• Visited August 2013
“Terrible customer service and attitude”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We decided to go for lunch at Ashlyns as it was a nice day and wanted to take the kids to see the animals also. After deciding against the BBQ (they don't take card payments) we headed inside. I ordered a cheese burger and chips and my friend the pâté. When the good finally arrived I bit into my burger and felt something odd. I removed a large piece of grease proof paper (the kind they use to separate multiple burgers). I called the waitress over and explained. She came back and said they would do me another. No apology whatsoever. My friend had asked for some more toast for her pâté which also had not arrived so she asked again. After another 25 mins my new burger arrived, without cheese. I honestly couldn't be bothered to ask for some and ate it without. My friend reminded the waitress again about her toast and was told "sorry the chef is very busy". After 5 more mins it finally arrived. When we asked for the bill I mentioned that I was very unhappy and was told the manager would come over. She didn't. The bill arrived with 10% off (£3.00) but to my astonishment they had charged me 75p for a slice of cheese that I never had! When I approached the till to pay I explained that I wasn't going to pay for the cheese that I didn't eat and was told "we have already given you 10% off" so I had to explain that this was including the cheese I didn't have. The manager and her colleague then starting laughing with each other and responded "alright luv you will get the 75p off".
Now in principle i would not normally have even moaned about the 75p and only did so because the manager had not been bothered to come over to the table and no one had apologised to us. she probably didn't come over because she was too busy swatting flies openly behind the counter in the kitchen area. Nice.
In short, terrible customer service, rude staff and overpriced average food. Avoid if you can.
Oh and watch out for paper in your burgers!

9 Thank Webbmir
Harlow, United Kingdom
“A lot better than expected”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I was a bit concerned by the previous reviews before going. After a very nice walk round the farm trail we went to the restaurant and must admit I found it to be very enjoyable indeed. The food was lovely and a lot of it, reasonable priced as well for what it was. Yes, you have to wait for your food, but not an unreasonable length of time, they do need to cook it. I found the service to be courteous throughout and would certanly go back again. It was a good day out.

2 Thank Andy S