“A lovely evening”

Ranked #2 of 18 Restaurants in Manningtree
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A beautiful 16th century pub and restaurant on the Essex/Suffolk border with stunning views of the garden and the River Stour. Offering traditional pub classics in a light and modern restaurant, it is perfect for a pub lunch, celebration or dinner with friends.
Reviewed July 27, 2013

A group of 8 of us went to the Bull last night to celebrate a birthday in the group. ( it made a welcome change from Indian!)
It's a nice looking pub with a lovely little bar area at the front, drinks were reasonably priced, the restaurant area was surprisingly spacious and tastefully decorated, the staff friendly, professional, efficient and very smartly dressed.
The menu was varied with a lot of specials on offer, you really couldn't fault it for choice. Reasonable prices for a night out in a restaurant but I thought the steaks were a bit on the expensive side, so I went with the hunters chicken.
A few of our group had starters, and they were huge! Main meals were also very generous on portion size, you really won't leave hungry! It was very nice, really tasty, fresh and hot. Definitely return. Well worth a visit!
My only disappointment was my dessert. I went for the mint chocolate torte with vanilla ice cream. The vanilla ice cream had more flavour than the torte, and despite the portion sizes of the starters and mains, the size of my dessert certainly left you feeling out of pocket for £5.50.
But overall, a really good night out.

1  Thank Kevin B

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We celebrated my son's 40th the other week with a fanstastic Hogg roast, great place as staff were great, nothing too much trouble. It was a gloruis day weather wise so the children were able to play outside as well. Ideal setting

Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I did have a pleasant Sunday lunch .the roast meat was tender good vegetables and good value . I would go back again as long as i get hot apple crumble on the menu next time , by the way if you say that you support Ipswich town to the chef he will love you to bits ,,,,,,,

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Have eaten here many times. The Brantham Bull is a relaxed friendly pub that always serves great food - the best Sunday Roast for miles!
The garden is also brilliant; the trampoline, sandpit and plenty of space for football keep the children entertained and there are beautiful views across the countryside.

1  Thank doomocha
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My family and I were near the Essex / Suffolk border recently and were looking for interesting places to eat when we found The Bull. We did a little bit of research and thought we'd give it a try and are really glad we did!
The building itself is steeped in history including smugglers and is set overlooking the river Stour with some fantastic views.
There was ample outdoor space for our children to occupy themselves in and they found the level access trampoline great fun and quite safe (so did I!)
However the restaurant experience outshone all of the above and was quite simply perfect. We had the garlic mushrooms which were incredible, even the last mouthful creating a real taste-bud sensation. We went on to have Lamb Chops and a Sausage and Mash which were very good sized portions, cooked well, presented well and served by attentive, smart and polite waiting staff. Altogether it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience and The Bull now has a well earned position on my Top Ten favourite places to dine.

1  Thank MikeDunhill