“Burger 🍔 not to write home about”
Review of Garden Cafe

Garden Cafe
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Lawford
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The team at Crafts Nurseries Restaurant look forward to welcoming you to a relaxed and family friendly environment in which to enjoy a light snack, teas and coffees with a selection of cakes or a full freshly prepared and cooked meal. The restaurant provides quality foods sourced locally and caters for a variety of meals for individuals with restricted diets such as gluten, dairy free and vegetarian.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Unfortunately come here today with my family. Ordered 3 of the £10.95 burgers that come with a limp side salad, a generous portion of chips and a teaspoon of coleslaw.
The burgers; two patty’s which were pink and cold in the middle sandwiches between a plain low end bun. The burger was plain. We helped ourselves to sachets of sauces, and then found no cheese in the burger. We asked for a pot of cheese which we were charged a further £1.50 for.

Main waitress with blonde hair very rude and blunt, could tell she didn’t want to be there. All in all, a waste of £50.

The fish and chips my mother had was reportedly ok, it looked like the better choice for sure.

Date of visit: September 2019
1  Thank James W
Write a reviewReviews (93)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We have had lunch at Craft nurseries before but we think they must have changed the chef, or the owners. We were a party of 4 and all of us ordered main meals. Mine was 'Woodland Chicken'. It looked nice enough when it arrived - although it was just luke warm. I had a lump of something on my plate which looked like a piece of meat, but unfortunately I couldn't cut through it, although I tried. I ate part of the meal and when we finished, the waitress who seemed to be in charge that day came to collect our plates. When I pointed to the piece of 'food' on my plate and asked if she knew what it was, she said it was a mushroom. I told her that I would only give 1 out of 10 for the meal as the mushroom sauce consisted of dried mushroom that didn't re-hydrate properly before they were used for cooking. They were like pieces of leather, including the large piece I couldn't identify. I would have expected an apology at least but all I got was a parting comment telling me I should have said something at the beginning of my meal.
There was a notice on the wall saying: If you like us, tell your friends. If you find something wrong, then tell us. - I thought that's what I did! So guess what? We won't be coming back for lunch again and we will be telling our friends.

Date of visit: September 2019
1  Thank Navigator531258
Reviewed August 31, 2019 via mobile

Walking around the garden centre looking for some plants I wanted not one member of staff in sight . Went to the pay desk and ask there no staff around His reply was I’m here ain’t I . Said that someone would be out soon. So I thought we would grab a cuppa and breakfast. Shocking prices for cold food . I will not return . Still not seen any members of garden staff

1  Thank Lellybug
Reviewed August 28, 2019

My wife and I were passing at lunchtime and decided to drop in here. The cafe is part of the Craft Nurseries and has an outside garden eating area. The staff were very friendly but despite most of the tables being empty and there being quite a few staff we had to wait a while for our food. We both had a jacket potato with cheese and coleslaw which was very nice but could have done with more cheese.
We then both had a tart each (mine was bananoffee and hers lemon) these were a little disappointing as not much filling.
I could visit here again if I were passing but I would not make a special journey.

Reviewed August 21, 2019

My cousin and I booked an afternoon tea as a treat for our 89 year old spritely aunt's birthday and my mothers but have never had such a disappointing offering. The scones were rock hard and definitely not cooked today, totally inedible. There were two small scones each 1 cheese and 1 fruit with jam and cream. When we complained about the quality, the waitresses went away and came back to say they didn't have any more, we said we would take the large scones instead. Expected two of each to share, she came back with one of each which would have meant a quarter each!!! When challenged, they had no more fruit scones so my aunt and mother had to forgo their Sweet one with jam and cream....an integral part of an afternoon tea, no? Having tried the small cakes, they were not much better, small pieces that had been cut off, some dry. By this time, we just wanted to leave. The waitresses told us that we would have to pay in full and sort it with the manager in the main shop...well...no apology from him....some customer care training required there! Having explained...he said.. Oh well I will refund you the £13.50...I said I was not happy to pay £13.50 x 3 for something that was only half edible...and that was stretching the positive! I said we would pay half, which he begrudgingly agreed. Not a great treat all round. Won't be visiting again.

1  Thank JaneSampson