“Fantastic food”
Review of The Bell Inn Hotel

The Bell Inn Hotel
“Fantastic food”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Had the best fish and chips I have had in a long long tine here tonight. Ate with my family and girlfriend - everyone was suitably impressed with their meals. Service was good too. Our waitress was chatty and friendly but not overbearing !!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Went to the bell Sunday 4th August to celebrate mums birthday. This was my first meal there.
The food was presented really good, this to me makes a huge difference.
I won't go into what every one had as there was 8 of us. My husband had a beef roast, I had the
Pork roast. Although the meat was very good, there was a lack of it. For me the amount
Was fine but the men in the party it was not enough. The roast potatoes were great and there were plenty of them, but the veg two small bowls put on the table one of carrots and one of cabbage. When it was brought out I thought it was for 4 of the party and they were going to bring another 2 bowls, but they didn't, really not enough. Not everyone had a sweet, I did it was very nice. Our family all rave about The Bell and go there quite often. But I am afraid I wasn't that impressed, and
Wouldn't go out of choice again only if the family opted to go for a family celebration.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Doncaster
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights. Room a little tired and due refurbishment which is on their future plans. Nevertheless the room was comfortable, clean and quirky. We had a room in Hill House and £60 for a double was good value. Very quiet location as village has no through road. Food was excellent, both the evening meals and breakfasts all at very reasonable additional prices.
The inn has been well looked after retaining much of it's original features and blending in the new very sympathetically. There is a very colourful courtyard for drinks with wonderful floral hanging baskets.
Apparently there are 48 employed staff and those we met were all delightful, and I cannot recommend the total experience more highly.
Would definitely recommend it to friends & family, but suggest booking ahead, as both meals and rooms seem to be very popular within the locality.

Room Tip: Depending on what you want there are suites for twice the price we paid. They were all booked. Never...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Returning to Essex for a school reunion, I travelled with my sister. We booked well in advance and gave my Devon address, so when I rang to confirm the book a couple of days before it was a shame that no-one thought to mention the road closure on the A13 - we ended up taking a detour around Basildon!

I went to The Bell for my 21st birthday almost 30 years ago, so it seemed the obvious choice to stay at The Bell when travelling back "up country". I didn't recall the place at all, but Horndon-on-the-Hill was much prettier than I remembered it. We arrived in glorious weather and with the Inn looking its best. The receptionist was friendly and efficient, and we checked in straight away as the room was ready early. Accommodation is in a separate building from the inn, Hill House, just two buildings away, with its own (albeit limited) parking.

Lunch was spectacular, and we had two courses because we wouldn't be eating in the evening. Service in the bar, it has to be said, was mediocre and the young girls seemed more interested in giggling together than serving anyone. Very irritating and made us think they were laughing at us. Perhaps they were. I think they were approaching the end of their shift. But the food was delicious, really great choice, beautifully cooked locally sourced produce. We pigged out on petit fours with coffee and they were glorious.

The room was a pleasant surprise, spacious and clean. Our room was set up for us as a twin, well equipped, with a hairdryer and even a steam iron. The bathroom was a large wet room, with a lovely big shower and automatic coloured lighting. Fantastic.

We spent a really comfortable night at The Bell. The beds were comfortable with nice crisp, clean bed linen. The shower was powerful and hot. Perfect for a night away from home.

Breakfast is served in Hill House and is extra. But for £75 a night, it was really good value. We had the "full Essex" breakfast which was lovely, couldn't fault it. You help yourself to toast, cereal, pastries, fruit juice. Very nice, served in a lovely dining room. Check out was very straight forward and took place in Hill House itself.

All in all a lovely stay and I would definitely recommend The Bell, it was a delight.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Elstree, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Took some business colleagues there recently - I'm not joking - all those michelin ripoff places for the unclothed emperors in London - they can stay unvisited.
I have been eating out for decades and the Lamb dish and dessert were simply divine - really complicated and they do far more than necessary for what are Frankie and Benny prices when you add their extras.
My colleagues from abroad were similarly impressed - as always here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Stanford-Le-Hope, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Amazing tasting and inventive food choices serves impeccably in a beautiful olde world setting. Staff knowledgable and friendly! Highly recommended. Booking a must as incredibly busy at weekends but completely understandable!

• Stayed March 2013
Macau
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stunning location, a bit difficult to find your way in the inside the Hotel, a bit dark.
However restaurants are stunning and staff is very smart.
Best location is in Hashi outside (when the weather allows)

1 Thank DEEKMacau
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horndon-on-the-Hill
Orsett Hall
Greenwoods Hotel & Spa
Pontlands Park
Pontlands Park
#1 of 1 in Great Baddow

Been to The Bell Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!