“Devonshire Hotel - 24 Feb 2013”
Review of Devonshire Hotel

Devonshire Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hornchurch
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed at the Devonshire when on business in Honchurch. I was really surprised! I've never stayed in an independent hotel which so good. Really friendly staff. Very clean. Great food. Top shower. Really good value for £76.

Room Tip: I got a free upgrade to an executive from a standard double.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Peter H

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed at the Devonshire Hotel for 2 nights and found the staff exceptionally helpful. The room was tastefully decorated, comfortable and spotlessly clean. We enjoyed the warm towels in the bathroom. Breakfast in the conservatory was excellent with a large range of cereals, fruits, juices, nuts, breads etc as well as cooked breakfast being available. The location is close to public transport. We would be happy to stay at the Devonshire again and would recommend it to others.
Crows_32

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Crows_32
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Arrived on Saturday afternoon for our one night stay at the Devonshire & was instantly
made to feel very welcome at reception by a friendly cheerful lady which was very nice. We were led to our room which was nice & warm, tastefully furnished & decorated & spotlessly clean. We attended a function at a near by venue which was litrally a one minute walk. The main Hornchurch high street was a further 5 minute walk & there were quite a few places to choose from to eat & drink.
Had a good night sleep & awoke ready for the full English breakfast we had pre ordered. We were welcomed into the lovely conservatory which is the eating area by the hotel owner. Again a friendly service, with lots of choice even before we ordered our cooked grub. The young lady who served us again was very cheerful & happy to be there.
Overall, we found the Devonshire to be a great experience run by a very nice family who really know what friendly customer service is.

Thanks for everything, if ever we come back to Essex we would definitely stay here again.

Mick & Sue

• Stayed: February 2013
7  Thank mickeyjames1
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The Devonshire hotel on a bleak January day is warm and welcoming and that's just the staff. The hotel is tastefully modernised and impressively clean and the owners should be congratulated for this. I would love to give it an excellent rating and yet ...
Let's start with the positives. The hotel (really it is an up-market B&B) is efficiently run to a reassuringly high standard. The breakfast is well-cooked and expertly served and just what the doctor ordered on a winter day in Essex. I especially appreciated the home-made banana bread!
On the debit side the breakfast was extra to the bill. WHY? This seems to be a bad habit in certain hotels and I can only think they are inundated with:
a) diet fanatics who don't eat breakfast and don't want to pay for what they won't eat.
b) business people who are just off to that nasty US invention - the breakfast meeting.
For guests not in groups a) and b) it is an irritation which they could do without especially when the room isn't exactly at a discount.
Our room was tasteful and clean but rather sparsely furnished and without any information about breakfast or the local area or even how to work the TV. The minimalist theme extended to the toiletries for one rather than two and the rather inadequate radiator which struggled against the cold (the towel warmer in the bathroom didn't work at all).
On the whole then, this is a good hotel which deserves more than the faint praise it's getting from me. I am sure that one day it could be excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are probably quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Speakasifind
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I only stayed for one night but it was without a doubt 100%. Room was well decorated and bed was comfortable. Breakfast the next morning was lovely and a great selection. I would happly recommend this hotel to anyone. The owner was a true gent!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank ryanpatt
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Booked three rooms for family,some from abroad for a family party in local venue. All rooms were a very good standard,clean,comfortable and reasonably priced. Breakfast was included but do believe this is optional,full English and continental. Donald and his team do a very fine job and are very welcoming.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Jane E
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I booked to stay one night to attend the funeral of a dear friend. When I booked I was told that, if I needed to cancel, I must do so 24 hours prior to arrival to avoid a room charge. In the event, I was taken ill with severe vomiting and diarrhea. At noon on the day prior to the funeral I telephoned the Hotel to cancel my visit. I was then told that I should have cancelled before 11.00 am and that I would be charged the full amount. All the communication was verbal by telephone. There was never anything in writing. I wonder if I had cancelled at 11.00 am, whether I would have been told 10.00am. I did my best to comply with what I believed to be the hotel policy but, it appears that they are intent on taking everything they can get. Perhaps they would have liked my vomiting and diarrhea bug spread around the hotel.

If you book to stay at this hotel, make sure you get everything in writing.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Innovationgame
DevonshireHotel, Owner at Devonshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

As much as we regret having to charge for one night booking, it is clearly stated on our website ( http://www.devonshirehotelhornchurch.co.uk/terms.html ).

Every effort was made to resell the room but on this occasion we were unsuccessful.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hornchurch
Innkeeper's Lodge Hornchurch
#1 of 4 in Brentwood
Harefield Manor Hotel
Harefield Manor Hotel
#6 of 6 in Romford

Been to Devonshire Hotel? Share your experiences!