“Go treat yourself!”

Ranked #16 of 53 Restaurants in Great Dunmow
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I have visited the tearoom on several occasions. The tearoom has a friendly atmosphere and the staff are polite and helpful. There is a wide choice of teas and coffees together with a good choice of light bites and cakes. It was good to see the tearoom awarded tearoom of the year by Essex Life. Well deserved in my opinion. Well worth a visit if you are in Great Dunmow. My only criticism is that the owner at times calls her customers 'love' etc which can be patronising to some older folk.

1  Thank Citytraveller503782

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Congratulations on being voted THE BEST TEA ROOM and COFFEE SHOP in Essex. My partner and I go there on a regular basis and enjoy the atmosphere, friendly staff and not forgetting the Tea and other delicacies served. Having just returned from 3 weeks in Spain, one of the first things we did was to visit Scrumptious. Spain may have the weather but they do not have a "Scrumptious" Tearoom. Nothing is too much trouble and we have never been disappointed.

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Arrived in Great Dunmow for afternoon tea after reading wonderful reviews on the Internet...well don't believe all you read!
It was 15.15 and upon entering the premises we were seated by a cheerful and pleasant young lady, more than I can say for the person who came along to take our order, we were rudely informed that hot food had finished for today because of closing at 16.00...but as we wanted afternoon tea we didn't see that would be an issue! Upon ordering we were informed that you have to book afternoon tea 24hrs in advance!! Am I missing something? It is a tea shop! what can be difficult about making an afternoon tea? and on what basis would you ever need 24 hrs to prepare for it!!
The whole episode left us speechless and we simply got up and left.
To be avoided!

3  Thank gary c
ScrumptiousTea, Owner at Scrumptious Tearooms, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Thank you very much for your genuine review, it means a lot as we do deem feedback as a gift.

With respect to our afternoon tea being pre booked by 24 hours, there is a justified reason for this which we will not be changing. We treat the afternoon tea as an experience not just a convenient meal of the menu. We make cake fancies that are different from the rest of the cakes in display, arrange the table eloquently, and cater to the individual's special requirements.

There is another establishment that will do afternoon tea upon walking in but it is not to the same standard. I am not willing to lesson our standards I'm afraid.

I do not believe at 3.30pm on a Sunday you would have been able to walk into any food establishment and demand afternoon tea and for this I do believe you would even be hard pushed in a hotel environment. Making your request quite unreasonable.

We are however looking at quick fix alternatives for the new year whereby you ax order between 2-4pm.

We are open 7 days a week 8-5pm Monday - Saturday. I feel more than justified in closing the Tearooms at 4pm on a Sunday as over the past 17 months of trading we have proofed that there is no need to stay open passed then and to be honest we also need a well deserved rest at some point.

If I can just touch on the apparent staff member that you suggest was rude. Having investigated what happened yesterday (Sunday 10.11.13) whereby my exceptionally polite and Amazingly well respected supervisor served you. I believe that there was a lot if casual banter with your good selves not ever booking anything with a 24 hour period notice for which you all had a laugh & joke about. I truly am confident that under no circumstances was she rude to you and as I was there when they advised me of your departure after requesting afternoon tea @ 3.30pm that she did her best and was professional throughout.

We are award winning tearoom and work very hard to earn this status. I do believe you have not give us a fair chance and can only hope you try again.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and have a good evening.

Regards

Jane

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Visited for a meeting with a prospective supplier and was very happy with our choice. Good quality tea and very nice toasted crumpets with honey. Needed a couple of hours for the discussion but were not hurried at all despite their being many people coming and going in the cafe. Will go again.

1  Thank NickFoxtrot
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Catching up with a dear friend after a long time of not seeing one another. We visited this friendly tea rooms to find them most welcoming and accommodating. Good Service; Comfortable and Welcoming and good variety of choices on the menu. We spent quite some time there, without being hurried out. Well worth a visit.

1  Thank aison56