“Very strange set up!”

Stansted Skyline Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Great Dunmow B&B and Inns
“Very strange set up!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Was greeted at what looked like a reception desk in the middle of an Indian restaurant. Took about 10 mins to be served despite being walked past half a dozen times by staff. The room was small but reasonably pleasant to the eye at first glance. The toilet flusher was broken and there was dust all around the bathroom, the toilet seat was broken and there was no door on the shower, so when I had a shower I had to have a towel half in and half hour to soak up any water. I was quite happy to have a digibox with the tv so I had a few more channels but the tv made a constant humming sound and kept flickering into black and white. If I propped my head up with the pillows the headboard (two wooden panels screwed to the wall) creaked constantly! The bed did the same with every slight movement, making me feel very awkward! When I checked out at about 10.15 the place was barren, you basically have to put your key in a box and let yourself out, not very hospitable, got better service at a b&b.

All in all the stay was just about reasonable but unlikely I will stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank StevePratt123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Dreadful place. The shuttle bus to collect from the airport was over an hour late. Every time I phoned to ask where it was I was told it would be there in the next five minutes. I was forced to wait in the freezing cold for over an hour. When it finally arrived, me and the only other passenger were told that we were being moved to its sister hotel (De Salis). Upon arrival at this second hotel, they tried to charge me for the shuttle bus which I refused to pay. The room I was given was dirty and freezing cold as they were clearly unprepared for my arrival. The receptionist of De Salis, who had also been taking the calls for Stansted Skyline, was extremely rude and unhelpful, consistently blaming management and saying there was nothing he could do. The following morning the shuttle bus was unsurprisingly overbooked so that some passengers departed half an hour later than we intended to which made it very rushed at the airport. Will never be using either this hotel or its sister hotel again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ChicDom

Travelers are raving about these Great Dunmow hotels

Clacton/Essex
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I really would only stay here if you have no other choice! It took us soooo long to find, the post code doesnt take you to the correct location - so you ring the telephone number provided who tell you the post code's wrong and give you another that is 20 minuites away, so you spend hours trying to find them, to then find out 'oh no we're a different hotel, the number is wrong' and you go back to where you started to still not be able to find the correct hotel. The post code isn't even the correct road. We eventually got the right telephone number and had to get the hotel owner to come and meet us in a nearby garage as he couldn't direct us as he had no idea about his local surroundings!!!
The hotel literally is an indian restaurant that has some pokey rooms stuck above it. It stinks of indian everywhere. The rooms were disgusting, the curtains didnt even cover the whole window! The t.v had wires just hanging down the wall. The carpet was so filthy dirty i didnt even want to take my shoes off. If you looked into the corner by the bed it was full with dust. The walls are so thin you can hear every conversation that's going on around you, doors banging all night!! Felt very unsafe and unwelcome, i didnt sleep all night as i felt that i would wake up with someone standing above me! Our transfer was the owner driving us in his car, didnt want to get up too early to drive us to the airport so made some comment of how you can get there about an hour before it wont be a problem - er no thanks i want to be there 2 hours before so you'll have to get up and take me! didnt speak to us once in the car journey, didnt ask where was going, not bothered about talking to us at all. Had to pay £24 for our journey - i'd rather have called a local taxi company. Told us to meet him in the same place on return as we had to go back there to collect our car! Worried the whole holiday about the car as you have to leave your key with them incase they have to move it to an off site location with 'limited security'! Luckily they hadn't moved our car at all when we returned. We had taken pictures of our mileage just incase they'd felt like having a joy ride! I have never wrote a bad review about a hotel before, i have stayed in all sorts of hotels - i am a travel agent and have been for 7 years - i understand there all sorts of standards, but i would never stay there again and would never book any customer of mine to stay there! Cliche but i wouldnt let my cat stay in one of their rooms! There's nothing wrong with being basic but to be unclean and un friendly and un welcoming just isn't on! Do your self a favour and pay a bit more to stay in the travelodge around the corner!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We spent one night in what is essentially an Indian Restaurant with rooms above it.
I booked by telephone and gave my credit card details over the phone, however, when we arrived, there was a problem with the hotel internet, which meant that I had to go out again to find a cash point to pay for our night.
The room was clean and comfortable enough but had really dim lighting. Even though the hotel internet was having problems, the free Wi-Fi worked very well. The walls are paper thin and you can hear conversations in the room next door.
We were just settling down to sleep when all the noise from the kitchen started. You could quite clearly hear pans and cutlery banging and clattering. We thought that it would not last for too long, which it didn't.
The really annoying part happened about 1AM. One of the staff, I believe that it was the receptionist started having a heated argument on his mobile in their own language in the car park directly below our window, he ranted on and on for about 40 minutes.
Suffice to say, we had a very poor nights sleep and will not be returning.

Room Tip: Get as far away from the kitchen as possible.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Warwickshire
Reviewed November 1, 2012

It is exactly what others have said - a take-away with rooms. I was filled with dread when I saw the ourside and I walked into the reception & walked straight out. I read the TA reviews in my car outside before deciding I had made the right choice to leave.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We had the misfortune of staying in the Skyline hotel at Stanstead. I had prepayed, including an extra £50 "cleaning fee" to allow my 2 dogs to stay there as well. They let my wife and I check the room before actaully checking in. The lobby was basically an Indian restaurtant, but it went down hill from there!
The room was filthy including pee stains on the mattress, a terrible odour, mold and insects in the bathroom, etc. We came back to reception toi cancel our booking. They refused to give us our money back and gave me the run around with my phone calls and emails in the following weeks. I did nort get any of my money back including the £50 "cleaning fee" for the dogs that did not even enter the room. They simply refused to give me a refund without any explanation. I'm surprised they are actually still in business.
If your idea of luxury is to stay in a smelly, dirty, seedy youth hostel in Mumbai, then you might like this place. For everyone else - you should avoid this place like the plague.

Room Tip: DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT GOING HERE!!! Go somewhere else or sleep in your car.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Kevin_q23486789567
ayrshire, scotland.
Reviewed August 21, 2012

1/ no door on the shower
2/ toilet in my friends room wouldn't flush, supposedly fixed but broke again, meaning they either had to wake us up to use ours or walk away down stairs in the middle of the night to use the loo!
3/ no hairdryer or iron in rooms, no cups, asked at reception and they brought them to my room.
4/ they charged me £20 for a bottle of wine that had a complementary sticker on it, obviously they give this to their takeaway deliveries!
5/ only one towel each per room.

this is a very very very basic hotel, it was clean, but badly in need of maintenance. I would not stay there again. our purpose of staying was to go to V festival so it was like camping with your own shower. there are loads of other hotels near by, just make sure you book early enough to get one of them, but if you must have a bed for the night then Im sure there will always be a room available here because no one else will stay there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends