“Shockingly Disgusting! AVOID!!!”

Stansted Skyline Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Great Dunmow B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Bed full of hair, under sheets covered in stains and hair, room smelling of backed drains and cigarettes, a partially broken toilet flush, dust everywhere, dust sticking to the walls in clumps, bins un-emptied, curry on dresser table, a trouser press broken, stains on the floor, stains on the roof, constant mechanical banging, unacceptable levels of traffic noise, waiting for a receptionist to bother turning up, rude staff, living above a curry house, walking past bins and a used tissue in the bedside cabinet.

If you don't mind staying in a room with any or even all of the aforementioned treats then the Stansted Skyline Hotel is perfect for you!

I enjoy a good bargain and have spent the last few weeks traveling around the UK seeing friends and family and have so far stayed in 6 other hotels in January alone, all roughly about the same price. I am a British soldier and have recently returned from an operational tour in Afghanistan, I spend a lot of travelling around Europe, mostly staying in hostels or budget hotels.

What I'm trying to say is that I really am not very fussy about where I stay and my standards aren't exactly high, I spent 6 months of 2011 living in a desert! But no amount of money would get me to return to the Stansted Skyline Hotel. I had spent an hour in the room and just felt very unsafe, access to the accommodation is completely open to anybody passing and there seemed to be a few unsavory looking characters hanging around the building. After another hour searching online for another hotel I left the room and complained to the receptionist.

The receptionist insisted on inspecting the room and actually agreed that the room wasn't clean. The receptionist then seemed shocked that I should dare to request a refund, before becoming quite flustered. He telephoned management and placed his hand over the receiver and said to me that if I told the management that I wanted to leave the hotel due to the noise then he would ensure I would receive all my money back. In short the receptionist didn't want to get in trouble for the state of the room and so my predicament as leverage. I refused, extensively detailing my concerns with the cleanliness of the room and the receptionists behavior.

I have had to call the management several times in an attempt to get a refund. Each time receiving a new and extravagant excuse of why they can't give me my money back.

Of course it is only my opinion but I think the hotel management might be quite well rehearsed in this con, expecting customers to become to exasperated with the situation they eventually give up... not this time.

I am so disgusted with my findings at the Stansted Skyline Hotel that I have contacted Consumer Direct (who are helping me recover the refund) The Environmental Health Agency, Travel England and the AA Hotel Scheme.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else?!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank James B

Reviewed February 7, 2012

Reading all this reviews I just have to share my experience about this hotel because people have to know where they gonna end up!
We chose this hotel because it's very close to the airport.
When we checked in, someone told us that breakfast was from 5 until 11! So, at 9.40, we went downstairs but all the tables looked dirty and a lot of dirty dishes on the tables. Not much left for breakfast so I went to the reception desk but not a sign of staff, there was a note that we could ring for help but there was no bell or buzzer. So I went upstairs and looked for staff and after 10 minutes I noticed a room where a staff member was. When she opened the door, I looked inside and it was really dirty. So I asked about breakfast but she told me that it was just until 10 o 'clock. I told her that it was 9.45 and not even 10! She kept telling me the same thing and I told her that it was not 10 o' clock. At the end, she went down and gave us some food, really not much!
The rest of my review is actually all about the fact that the room was dirty, the hotel is very noisy and not about traffic!!!! there was a banging door for hours next to my room but the door was broke, so I couldn't close it myself. Staff don't speak much English, not friendly.
And about the Indian restaurant, the food was okay, but the staff came to the table every 5 minutes to ask if we wanted to order more food. It was not possible to eat and not being disturbed with the question if we really didn't wanted a side dish.
So I would say: Pick another hotel!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank adavidanne
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Dont book this hotel, dirt carpets, blocked sinks, none English speaking staff, broken television and dirty walls..... you get what you pay for.... this was an option to a Travelodge and Travelodges look like the ritz comapred to this hole..... No curtains on one side and I believe some of the restuarant staff sleep in a garden shed at the back.... very dodgy if you ask me. This is an Asian restuarant with a couple of dirty un-suitable rooms above it.... avoid like the plague.... and the staff are rude!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Frequent Travel... T
Reviewed November 24, 2011

I stayed at the Stansted Skyline on November 4th 2011 with my tour group. I booked it knowing it would be a budget hotel but as we were arriving late and leaving early the next morning I figured the cheaper the better as long as it was adequate. I was, sadly, let down and now realise (once again) that I should have read the Tripadvisor reviews.

First of all, the website is misleading. It says that 24hr check-in is offered. This is not true and can be verified, ironically, by al2376 in an earlier review. I too called the hotel to confirm a post 12am arrival. In fact I called twice and was twice told that 24hr check in was a feature of the hotel. When we arrived we may as well have been following the script as written by al2376 - no-one in attendance!!
They do leave the door open though and have a handwritten note suggesting a 'phone number. I called the number and was told to press the buzzer on the counter. Guess what? No buzzer. We looked all around for this buzzer but there was none so I called again and they said it should be there. After an argument about this buzzer with the female who answered the phone I convinced her that as we had paid for the rooms she'd better send someone to open up for us. Instead she gave me another number and said that the this person would open up. I called it and the guy sounded quite angry but he said he would come along to open up. We waited about 20 mins and it was getting late (1am by now) and our sleep time was rapidly diminishing. I called again and the guy said he'd be along but after another 10 minutes we realised this was not going to happen.
Decision time - do we sleep on the couches in reception? Do we leave and search for another hotel? (sleeping in the car was not an option). We decided to have another thorough look for this so-called buzzer and in the process of doing so discovered or key cards had been left on the desk with an invoice and our names. Sure enough we had rooms but this was so dodgy it defies belief and I hope I never have to go through this again.

The rooms, by the way, were NOT worth the trouble. Not clean and not very comfortable. The bathroom should have been condemned. they clearly don't service it regularly.
This rivals The Qawra Inn (Malta) and The Reef Resort (the Entrance) as contenders for the worst hotel ever.
Probably should be shut down for the misleading advertising at least.
I agree with al2376 - AVOID!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Mick M
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stay there on the 9th november till the12th november,booked through travelrepublic,realise after i booked by the reviews it might be a wrong decision,rang travelrepublic with my concerns im disabled so stairs are a problem but can manage at a push were told that the hotel would try give us a down stairs room,so put us up 12 stairs no waradrobes raditiors too hot dangerous in fact sink that was hanging off wall no plug if try to use water everywhere staff well only seen once then you had to see to your self breakfast cornflakes or cornflakes coffee or tea empty machine,1glass a juice meat and cheese 1 bit if you were lucky three nights of listening to dishwahers and kitchen noise,as their is a india restraurant attached to this accomdation,which is very busy,complain who to.relieve to being out all day visiting family never never ever will use travelrepublic again as there customer service is nil promises promises they knew this hotel is bad why send people there take off there list.

Room Tip: look at reviews and believe them,there are right, agents for them are not helpful take your money an...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank diana f
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Booking through expedia for one night as I had early flight. Read instructions whichnadvise to call in advance if you were expecting to arrive late which I explain imwouldmarrive approx 12am midnight they said absolutely fine just call the number in reception when you arrive.

I arrived as described first impression was it looked disgusting!

I went into reception to find it dark and no one in the hotel...it smelled awful and the carpets were dirty and dusty.

Went to the small wooded desk if you can call it a desk to check in...no one around but a number on the desk to call...thought would be fine as I had made my call early in the day...anyway I called the number and eventually some one answered who was very rude and denied any arrangement and said I was to late my booking was cancelled....unbelievable...this man was notntrying help just get me off the phone by suggesting I call the number on the business card on the desk which got no answer which he knew...then when I called his number again no answer at all!

The worrying thing is the reception is left open very late at night any one can come in and walk around the hotel...VERY UNSAFE!

After leaving to find another hotel I was unsuccessful and at 2am gave up and parked in the mid stay car park at stansted and slept in my car! Which after reading the other reviews would suggest I actually avoided a continued nightmare.

I would recommend that anyone who considers staying at this hotel think twice...sleeping in a car is betternvalue for money than this disgraceful hotel...hotel is not a term for this place..it's a doss house at the most....AVIOD AVIOD!

Read these reviews can this many people having similar experiences be a one off...NO...this is the worst hotel in UK no actually the WORLD.

A true disgrace...expedia should expel this hole.

Room Tip: Good room is at another hotel in stansted area..Avoid!
Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank al2376
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Stayed one night at the Stansted Skyline Hotel Never again as we had sleeples night, creaky floor boards, noises from upstairs and around the hotel rooms guest going up and down the stairsace, creacking floor board noises from updtaits and next door, guest noises until 5.30 am.......

Loose curtain rail fell on head whilst opening curtain..

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple