“Quick business trip hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Pontlands Park

Pontlands Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Baddow
Bridgend, United Kingdom
“Quick business trip hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was good, nice friendly staff at reception and bar. Evening meal very good, nice choice of food well cooked and presented. Room was adequate and well set out. The breakfast was OK just, if you didn't want a full cooked breakfast the choice was disappointing after the standard of the evening meal. I would probably use it again since it was convenient for my purpose and the evening meal was good.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Pontlands Park.

I am pleased you were well looked after by the staff and enjoyed your meal, the room you were in was one of our executive rooms and these are the only grade not yet refurbished, perhaps next time you visit you might want to upgrade to one of the newer rooms.
With regards to breakfast we will note your comments, we do try to have a good selection of items but if you visit again and wanted something you couldn't see the staff would be happy to speak to the chef to see if he could accommodate your request.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Our stay was great, spacious and lovely room, very good service and very good food and my partner gave full marks to Pontlands in a separate review yesterday. However, on checking out we noticed we had been charged a 'discretionary gratuity' on each drink order! Surely 'discretionary' means we have the choice? We pay (a lot) for drinks and if there is any tipping, then we, the customer decide wether we would like to tip as an indication of our satisfaction with the service from the serving staff. I also question wether the serving staff who should get the tip direct (if there is a tip) even see any of this money. Had we tipped the server direct, would he/she have declined and told us that gartuity was already included? In addition, at no point were we told that gratuity had been included, it simply showed on our check out bill.

Service charges are for large groups, gratuity is at the CUSTOMERS DISCRETION and NOT hotel management. This has really irritated me and I think its out of order hence my bad review as I want Pontlands management to take some positive action. So all in all, a very enjoyable stay but the charge on our bill just isn't on.

Room Tip: Select a 'feature' room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Snowkaffir
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Pontlands Park and for the positive comments you have made, however I do feel I need to respond to the points you have raised about the service charge.

Each of our bar tariffs, menus and wine lists clearly states that all food and drink items are subject to a 10% discretionary service charge which is distributed amongst the staff, it is then also clear and itemised on dockets which have to be signed to charge items to your room and then on the bill presented for checking prior to payment at check out.
As the name suggests and as you have said it is discretionary and if you felt that you were not satisfied with the food and service and did not want to pay the charge you are perfectly entitled to ask for it to be removed, which the staff would have done without any problems.

I think that saying that this charge means we deserve a bad review after what you yourself have said was a good stay is a little unfair, we do all we can to ensure that the policy is clear and shouldn't be punished for people failing to read bills and other information properly.

We do hope that the good bits of your stay will encourage you to return when you are next in the area.

Wiltshire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I’m a business traveller and I had to spend several days working in Chelmsford recently – good quality accommodation seems a little hard to find in this area, but I lucked out with Pontlands Park. It’s terrific! It’s in a quiet location, there are two restaurants on site (a bar/lounge and a more formal restaurant), a small fitness centre/spa and the rooms are amazing. They’re being renovated at the moment; I think I got upgraded to a higher standard of room as the one I’d booked was being painted. The room I ended up with was huge, with a sparkling and very trendy bathroom with a superb shower (although the elegant chrome controls were so minimalist that it took me a while to figure out how to use them!). Free wifi too. I had a sofa in my room, two desks, and a very comfortable bed. Everything was spotlessly clean and the staff were terrific, especially the young lad who works in the bar (good luck with your iPhone 5, by the way!), and the lady who was on reception when I arrived (sorry I didn't get your names).

I used the spa twice; I think it’s run separately and it’s the one part of the place that could do with a bit of TLC. The gym is in a tiny attic room that’s so cramped I nearly hit my head on the ceiling twice, and the changing rooms were a little bit tatty. The pool was fine though and I had an enjoyable early swim.

One thing to note is that the hotel is out of town and sits in parkland on the edge of a small village so you will need to walk/drive if you're expecting to go shopping, visit a pub etc. - not a problem for me, as I was here on business, and hey, it makes for a very quiet place to stay (I slept perfectly and wasn't disturbed once).

Anyway, minor quibbles aside, this is a superb place to stay – my room was so nice that I didn’t want to leave, and it’s been a while since that happened! I’ll look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review following your recent visit to Pontlands Park.

We all know how hard it can be when travelling on business to find a nice hotel that ticks all the right boxes but I'm pleased to see we have done this for you. I will make sure all of your comments are passed on to the team.

The Spa is run separately but under the same ownership, it is predominantly a members centre and rather than call it a gym we do use the term fitness room as it is, as you mention, quite small. I will make sure they look at the changing rooms during our forthcoming maintenance week to see if they need a little TLC.

Now you have found us I hope we can welcome you back when you are next in the area.

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed here for 9 nights and cannot fault anything. We arrived after an overnight flight and called ahead about an early check in to be told they had deliberately not let the room the night before so we could check in whenever we liked. Nice touch. Spacious room and modern bathroom with a fabulous rain head shower. The bar area is relaxed and pleasant, the food is really good although we only ate from the bar menu. Really great service, very attentive without being over the top or too much. Very good value for money too. We were very happy to have this as a base for our stay and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Room 47 is lovely!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your fantastic review following your time with us at Pontlands Park.
I am pleased you liked room 47, it is one of our newly refurbished Superior Rooms and very spacious so perfect for a longer stay.
I will make sure that I pass your comments on to the team and we hope to welcome you back when you are in the area again.

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed for one night on a travelzoo offer [DBB]The room was large comfortable and clean,with a sofa and two armchairs.The bathroom was modern and well appointed.
The dinner was very good and service was pleasant and efficient,the breakfast was O.K. I would have preffered back bacon and sausages rather than streaky and chipolatas but that is my problem.
It was good to have the breakfast cooked to order instead of the usual buffet.
We had a very nice stay and I did make use of the leisure area,both pools were fine.
Will return

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for the lovely review following your recent stay with us.
I was pleased to read you enjoyed all of the aspects of your visit and will make sure the staff see your comments.
With regards to the items served at breakfast we will certainly make a note of your preferences and see if others feel the same and take this into consideration when reviewing the menu.

We hope to welcome you back when you are next in the area

Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Having been for lunch at pontlands park many years ago, I decided to book a room for my partner and myself. I have to say we were not disappointed. We had dinner included and turned up quite late -at 8:45. The staff we incredibly helpful, friendly and polite. Dan was very engaging and both he and Nathan went out of their way to make our dinner that much more enjoyable. The food was fantastic and working in hospitality myself, it was nice to build some rapport with the staff. We will be back :-)

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Pontlands Park.

I am pleased you enjoyed your visit and were well looked after the team.

We hope you won't leave it so long next time before you return.

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

My daughter treated me to an overnight stay at Pontland's Park as an early Mother's Day present.

We requested a superior double room with an extra bed and views; which we were duly given. The room was spacious and well equipped, with an hairdryer by the dressing table rather than in the bathroom; an excellent idea for ladies who take some time to make themselves more beautiful!

Everywhere was very clean and the service from all staff was friendly and helpful. I requested some fresh milk and an extra sheet both of which arrived within five minutes of the requests.

The restaurant food was without fault, every course freshly prepared in house and puts many local restaurants to shame. The waiters were happy,helpful and friendly too. I live within 20 mins drive of the hotel and will definitely return for meal with my husband.

The only area which was perhaps a little tired was that of the indoor pool which needed some maintenance/ refurbishment but there again the cafe staff were friendly and helpful.

We can recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys high a standard of food , cleanliness and service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us, which I am very pleased to read you both enjoyed.
We have taken a lot of time and put in a lot of effort to ensure guests enjoy their stay and it is always a pleasure to see that the little things, like a proper hairdryer, are appreciated!
If you could please contact me or the hotel regarding the issues with the pool that you mentioned I will get them looked at as we like to ensure that the standards here are as high as the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Baddow
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,388 reviews
The County Hotel
The County Hotel
#6 of 12 in Chelmsford

Been to Pontlands Park? Share your experiences!