“almost faultless”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Baddow
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“almost faultless”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My daughter treated me to an overnight stay at Pontland's Park as an early Mother's Day present.

We requested a superior double room with an extra bed and views; which we were duly given. The room was spacious and well equipped, with an hairdryer by the dressing table rather than in the bathroom; an excellent idea for ladies who take some time to make themselves more beautiful!

Everywhere was very clean and the service from all staff was friendly and helpful. I requested some fresh milk and an extra sheet both of which arrived within five minutes of the requests.

The restaurant food was without fault, every course freshly prepared in house and puts many local restaurants to shame. The waiters were happy,helpful and friendly too. I live within 20 mins drive of the hotel and will definitely return for meal with my husband.

The only area which was perhaps a little tired was that of the indoor pool which needed some maintenance/ refurbishment but there again the cafe staff were friendly and helpful.

We can recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys high a standard of food , cleanliness and service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us, which I am very pleased to read you both enjoyed.
We have taken a lot of time and put in a lot of effort to ensure guests enjoy their stay and it is always a pleasure to see that the little things, like a proper hairdryer, are appreciated!
If you could please contact me or the hotel regarding the issues with the pool that you mentioned I will get them looked at as we like to ensure that the standards here are as high as the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Impressive building and surroundings, staff that couldn't do enough for you, stunning room and delicious food!
Stayed in room 27 and thought the size and facilities and decor were luxurious.
Dan looked after us in the restaurant and so nice to receive great service with personality too.
Couldn't fault dinner or full English breakfast-delicious on both counts.
Felt like a special night away for our anniversary-absolutely lovely and would highly recommend!

• Stayed March 2013
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Pontlands Park and for sharing your pictures of the lovely room 27.
I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us and were well looked after by the team.

Happy Anniversary and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have just spent two nights at the Pondlands Park Hotel. I arrived very jet-lagged on Valentine's afternoon and the reception staff, realising that, did not press me to make reservations for dinner - rather they invited me to come straight through once I was rested and ready to dine. They also checked on the time of Evensong at Chelmsford Cathedral and offered to obtain a taxi should I desire to go. I decided to attend the next evening when I was more rested but was most appreciative of their going above and beyond the call of duty on this.

Dinner in the Lounge was well served - the only niggle being that it took a great deal of time for the bill to arrive (actually on both nights) after I had finished my wine and meal. Otherwise, the meals in both the Lounge and the Restaurant were presented well and delicious with attentive staff who knew what they were doing.

The room was one of the refurbished ones and very spacious. It was a delight to have a choice between bath and shower with separate facilities for each. The bed was comfortable and the work area well lit which I needed as I put the finishing touches on a presentation.

I did not have a car but the bus stops just outside the hotel and while it is a bit of run to downtown Chelmsford it works. Just wish the bus ran a little later at night so one could enjoy Compline at the Cathedral on Friday evenings. But really nothing to complain about.

I look forward to returning another day with my spouse once we return to the UK to enjoy the delights of this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to read that the staff looked after you well and assisted you with your visit to the Cathedral. I have passed on your comments about this as well as the food to all of the team and also drawn their attention to your comment about the bill taking a little time to arrive after eating.

We look forward to welcoming you back again when you are next in the area.

Rochford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We spent valentines night at Pontlands hotel. The service was fantastic. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel looked stunning from the outside. Our bedroom was beautiful. We had a luxury four poster bed.Our dining experience was great. The quality of our meal was second to none. Our experience was complete relaxation. We will most certainly be returning to Pontlands in the near future.

Room Tip: new wing - recently renovated - stunning
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa P
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for your review following your visit to Pontlands Park for Valentine's Day.

Our newly refurbished Four Poster rooms have proved very popular and it was the perfect choice for such a special day.
We pride ourselves on high standards of food and service and I'm pleased you had a relaxing time with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future

Reviewed February 9, 2013

My other half and I stayed in the feature room and what a lovely clean and well presented room! The bathroom had the option of a bath and a shower both of which were excellent! Upon arrival we was seen to by Charlotte at reception who was kind, courteous and full of helpful information! After settling in to the room we went for a drink at the bar where Craig served us in a very polite manor and aided in choosing a very nice wine from his strong knowledge in the menu! The spa which isn't part of the hotel but as a resident was free of charge was quaint yet ample to offer everything we required including an outdoor heated pool which was still warm enough with the temperatures being as low as 1degree!! We decided to stay at the hotel for dinner and the food was impeccable and the manager (Nathan) introduced himself to us which was nice and showed that he and his team worked well to make us a comfortable as possible! In conclusion the venue was an excellent choice and would return any day!! Also would like to say a big thank you for all that made our stay so brilliant!

• Stayed February 2013
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay with us.
I'm pleased you enjoyed the Feature Room which is one that has been recently refurbished, we are very proud of all the changes we have made at the hotel and it is good to know they are appreciated.
I'm glad you enjoyed all of the facilities we have on offer, including the covered outdoor pool.
I have passed your comments on to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

My partner and I had a fantastic meal here the service was amazing a member of staff who's name was Nathan showed us around some of the available rooms and was very helpful we will defiantly be booking our stay very soon.

• Stayed January 2013
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent visit to Pontlands Park, I am pleased you enjoyed your meal and were well looked after by the team and we look forward to you returning very soon.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was our first time to Pontlands park hotel. We were given a lovely present of an afternoon tea which we enjoyed today.
The location is fabulous and we were met by 2 members of the team today.
The afternoon tea was first class and the cakes were lovely and home made.
After our afternoon tea, we were shown the hotel rooms and the menus. after seeing these rooms, menus etc, we will looking at booking up a stay very soon.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Sherrym123
HLGroup, Owner at Pontlands Park, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for your review following your visit to Pontlands Park for Afternoon Tea.
We pride ourselves on our high standards of food and service and it is always rewarding to know that customers appreciate this and all of the effort that has gone in to the massive refurbishment we have carried out.

I'm pleased that the staff showed you all we have to offer and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Baddow
#1 of 2 in Thorpe Bay
The County Hotel
The County Hotel
#6 of 12 in Chelmsford

Been to Pontlands Park? Share your experiences!