“At last fine dining in Epping Forest”

Haywards Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 65 Restaurants in Epping
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: An exquisite fine dining restaurant located on the outskirts of the charming market town of Epping and the beautiful Epping Forest. Haywards offers modern European cuisine across a range of menus - the great value set lunch menu available Thursday to Saturday lunchtimes, the varied a la carte menu available for lunch and dinner Wednesday through to Sunday (including the special 'roast style dish' on a Sunday), and the exceptional Taste of Haywards tasting menu, available Wednesday to Saturday evenings. The main restaurant accommodates diners of 10 years and over, yet our private dining room seats up to 14 guests and is available for families with children of all ages. Experienced staff ensure all guests are welcomed and have a memorable visit whatever the occasion. Fantastic packages are available for all celebrations including weddings, either within our private dining room or through exclusive use of the main restaurant. Accommodation is available at the Gate House B&B.
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Went with wife last week. Very impressed with the building. We had the tasting menu and the chef really impressed with his amazing combinations of flavour, texture and colour. Staff were first class, efficient and attentive without being over the top. This business has hit the ground running, and deserves to do very well. We have been recommending it to all our friends.

1  Thank Ian H

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Sunday lunch at Haywards at the Forest Gate, a fine dining experience 10 minutes from home. Absolutely stunning, just as good, if not better than starred restaurants in London, interesting menu, friendly and attentive staff and delicious food served in a beautifully restored stables and barn. Pleasantly full and in need of a bit of a kip, couldn't think of a nicer way to spend Sunday afternoon

1  Thank Eviebutton
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Couldn't wait to try this restaurant having seen it being built and being an avid fan of The Forest Gate Inn for many years. The reviews already are incredible which made me want to go even more. Went Saturday with my wife and can't praise it enough. The whole experience is awesome and the decor and restoration is stunning , what a fantastic transformation and a brilliant addition to Epping.

We went for the tasting menu with accompanying wines , each dish was first class and presented with pride. This is real Michelin star cuisine with service to match. I love the enthusiasm of the owners and the care they are putting in to ensure the comfort and enjoyment of their guests. The cheeseboard is another great touch of excellence.

I can imagine as the word gets around many will travel for miles to eat here and I certainly wish the owners well deserved success for taking the bold step of providing a first class venue for the area. It's a great location and great experience , go on treat yourselves !

2  Thank Chalkie46
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 2 nights at the family b&b and eat in Haywards on the 8 th of May. Fine dining at its best in a wonderfully restored Victorian bowling alley. The staff were very attentive and professional, the chef certainly know his stuff, the flavours and presentation were excellent. I was on business so dined alone but next time I'm in the area I'll try and bring my wife. This is fine dining so don't expect half a chicken and chips, it's a sofisticated restaurant which will only be appreciated sofisticated people.

2  Thank Globalal
Reviewed May 7, 2013

So where to begin !
Lets start with the warm welcome and the superb G&T, Adnams own brand, a first for me and delightful,
A quick view of the menu and we decided to choose the “Tasting menu” with the “wine selection”.
Off to a great start, puffy cheesy ball as a amuse bouche
Selection of Homemade breads…
Starter of quail, an Asparagus dish that was divine.
Halibut, then lamb, then sorbets, then desert a fantastic rhubarb dish,
Cheese this selection was one of life’s moments, perfect temperature, no silly green bits on the side, served with a knowledge of the product !
Oh and then the chef decided that we needed to share a chocolate desert as an extra, which was not on the menu, if I could have taken the plate home and framed it I would have !...
Wines were perfect, whites where chilled to perfection, reds were a delight (except for the Aussie, sorry did nothing for me) !
And then we had a 30 year old Sherry with the chocolate pudding, Yes I know it sounds gross but chocolate and Sherry (or Tawny port) is one of those mysterious combinations.
We finally staggered out at 11.45pm, having celebrated our Wedding anniversary in a superb fashion.
Oh, before we left the chef popped out to say hi !, we discussed the meal,
the Asparagus and rhubarb,( there may have been other ingredients, sorry !), were grown in their own garden !
I look forward to growing old with this place…
Thank you, ….X