“Very good”

Ranked #17 of 63 Restaurants in Epping
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Traditional English Pub, serving Good Homemade food. The pub dates back over 500 years, is mentioned in dickens books. We have 6 real ale pumps. 2017 entry in both ' good pub guide' and 'the camra good beer guide' Live music throughout December, with an amazing festive menu. whether your looking for good food, real ales, lovely wines or just a welcoming smile, we will always try our hardest to make your visit a memorable one.
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Went for birthday in June thought the idea of having to go to the bar to order your food left me with the impression of a Harvester, for the price of the menu would have expected tableside service. Having said that the staff were very good and the food was what I had expected, overall a pleasnat experience

theydonoak, Manager at The Theydon Oak Pub & Dining, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the Theydon Oak. We are so happy you had a pleasant experience. FYI- We do waitress service in the evening, if you prefer.

Have a lovely Summer.

Iain Moran.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We visited The Theydon Oak a few weeks ago after being recommended by friends. It was a Saturday afternoon and we were in the area so we popped in for a drink. The pub is lovely with great gardens that were very busy. This pub is definitely doing something right. We sat inside , the barmaid was charming. The brass not to everyones taste ( as we have read the reviews ) is lovely and shiny and very fitting for the pub. The staff were very friendly and the chef /manager was busy clearing tables and dealing with a stray dog situation ! but she still stopped to tell us about the pub. We wasn't going to eat as she seemed busy, but when we saw the food coming from the kitchen we changed our mind. We ordered the swordfish and it was delicious very moist and the mango salsa was lovely and the portion size was huge. We followed this with a dessert of grilled peaches they were also divine. The waitress informed us that all the food is freshly cooked and you can definitely tell. We enjoyed the food so much we returned on mon evening with friends we had the skate and yet again it was delicious, very meaty. The waitress although busy was very attentive and it was the same chef , this pub seems to be run by girl power and its obviously working. This pretty pub has now become one of our favourite eating places. Having run a pub its hard to find somewhere that is traditional. This hits the spot pay it a visit.

Thank you very much for your fantastic review. We are thrilled you had a wonderful experience.

See you again soon!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We havent been to the Theydon Oak for a number of years and thought we would try again as food was good, but unfortunately what a let down, we both had the sword fish which was dry and not fresh and the saute pots was obviously frozen and oven cooked all with loads of iceberg lettuce not at all worth the £12 - after we thought we would have dessert not expecting much but this was much better I had the eton mess and my friend had the apple caramel pie and we enjoyed these. Staff very friendly, although didnt like the fact you had to pay up front and not get a bill at the end, assuming everyone was going to do a runner! Would we go again and would we reccomend - no and no again, such a shame as such a lovely old pub, but food what a let down.

1  Thank GraceLand186338

Thank you for your review of the Theydon Oak, we are happy you received friendly service and enjoyed desert. But are disappointed and apologise you were not satisfied with your main courses. I only wished if you were not happy with your meal you had spoke with a member of staff when they had checked you and we could have changed your dish or offered you a refund. We 100% only use fresh produce, they certainly would have not been frozen sauté potatoes.

Have a wonderful Summer.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Fantastic food & drinks also great atmosphere!! Would 100% recommend this pub. Hard working and very friendly staff.

theydonoak, Manager at The Theydon Oak Pub & Dining, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Theydon Oak. We are so happy with your points and look forward to welcoming you again the near future.

Have a happy Summer.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Been wanting to visit this pub for a while due to its rave reviews.I suspect this is a love it or hate it kind of place. Its in a lovely setting in a weeny village with lots of outside space. Inside, hmm well its dark beams, hundreds of horse brasses, wild patterned carpets and what seems like too many tables for the space available- all in dark oak. Very old fashioned and very dark inside. My friend loved it, me-not so much. Could be improved by just getting rid of the carpets and having bare scrubbed floor boards.( Personally I would bin all the horse brasses, but I see from other comments that the managers are rather attached to them!)

The food, good value for large portions which seemed rather randomly sized. We both had the swordfish from the specials board which was fresh but unremarkable. My portion was huge, whereas my friends was about half the size of mine. Some of the plates coming out of the kitchen were massive, some were normal sized. Very peculiar.

We had a tiny two seat table squashed next to the kitchen even though about 20 others were free. There was so little room on the table we had to remind the staff to remove stuff that was finished with.
Having said that, the staff were very friendly, attentive and keen to help.
Im not sure if we had the a la carte menu, I suspect not, because all of the menu items were standard pub fayer - nothing I would think of as a la carte or fine dining on it, but I guess that depends on your viewpoint.
Dessert was cake for me and ice cream for my friend. Mine seemed fresh and was a big piece, though I would prefer it to be presented with the cream in a separate jug rather than drowned in cream on my behalf.
In all, not a bad pub, but not my favourite, would return if in the area, though not as a first choice. Cant really comment on the atmosphere as it was a quiet week night and not many people inside.

( Trip Advisor could do with a simple "good" button rather than the leap from average to very good)

2  Thank ac s

Thank you very much for your review. We are disappointed you did not fully enjoy your experience with us. Our menu is A La Carte but we are not fine dining and don't say so. In the nicest possible manner may I suggest you check the definitions of both. We appreciate your compliments and have past them on to our team.

We do hope you try us again in the near future. Not only are we getting new carpets but also new curtains through out and the seating improved.

Have a happy Summer.