“basic and reasonable”

The Talbot Harvester
Ranked #51 of 61 Restaurants in Epping
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: At The Talbot Harvester in Epping food is fresh, full of flavour and just how you like it. Choose your tasty grill, sauce and side at our restaurant and we'll get cooking - while you head off to the famous Harvester salad bar to grab as much crisp, freshly prepared tasty salad as you like.About our Harvester restaurantIf you're looking for a family friendly restaurant in Epping, there's nowhere more popular than Harvester. Close to Harlow, Chipping Ongar and Moreton, our restaurant is a great choice for anyone who loves tasty grills, indulgent desserts and eating out in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Plus we've loads of choices for young guests.
essex
“basic and reasonable”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

for a lunch time meal/snack its ideal wouldnt recommend as a place for a special occasion more of a upmarket little chef but the chicken was good and the salad bar nice wouldnt like to push the chefs further than this as you may be disappointed

Visited December 2012

London, United Kingdom
“Nightmare restaurant.....”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Having attended your Harvester at the Talbot in North Weald on the evening of 22nd November 2012, to be seated right next to the door on the windiest day in history.
The waitress Nicola place my colleagues menu down on the table and then walked away. She then came back and asked if we wanted any drinks and we order two diet cokes, we then asked if we could order some food which she replied "You will have to wait a minute". When she finally returned we order two Harvest bacon burgers with fries, we then asked if we could have some sauces to which she replied "If you want".
I then went to the salad bar to find "Fresh Beetroot" which had clearly come out of a can, as I have worked in the catering industry for a number of years. During this time Nicola or that was the name on her badge was consistently moaning to another member of staff. When my meal finally arrived it was placed in front of me and I wasn't asked if I needed anything further, it would appear that the restaurant was busy and you only had three members of staff on the restaurant floor. I was aware that she had been asking other tables if everything was alright, but didn't come to our table. We then sat with our empty plates for about fifteen minutes, before we had to ask the barman if we could order some ice cream, we had a voucher for this which he took off us and placed under the till. A short while later Nicola turned up and asked if we had a voucher and what flavour ice cream we would like. This arrived and was slid across the table and a spoon put upside down next to it. and was very pleasant, the table to our right had paid there bill and left, the barman then came over to clean the table to find that he put the clean cutlery on the seat whilst he sprayed and wiped the table. He then put this cutlery on the table and invited the guest to take there seats, as he walked away one of the females said "these seats are dirty" and she brushed something on the floor.
We then asked for the bill and if it could be split into two and was told by Nicola "That you should have told me at the beginning", I replied "not to worry". We then paid the bill of £18:68 and asked for a VAT receipt to which she replied "I have told you" to which we replied "No a VAT receipt".
This is the first time in twelve years that I have been in a Harvester and it will probably be the last time as I found the service to well below average and the friendliness of the staff to be a complete joke.

After this i recieved a phone call from the general manage who wasn't any more help.

• Visited November 2012
Birmingham
“nice food”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

salmon cooked to perfection, staff friendly and a speedy service. Salad bar had a good selection although the bread rolls were a little hard

Visited November 2012
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
“The Talbot experience?? not to be repeated”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Probably the worst meal I ever experienced, had to wait 20 minutes for a drink as only one barman on duty, but I understand this is the norm, not a good start to an evening out, food was exceptionly poor and mostly inedible a very disappointing experience.

Five days later we decided to try it during the day as we thought it may just have been a one off bad experience, but no, with very few tables being used we still had to wait for our drinks and when the food was delivered it looked disgusting, the chicken was black and a comment from the kitchen was "it is ok its just the oil we use" tried to cut the chicken but way to tough, complained to staff and they took it away and ten minutes later returned with another meal, a comment from the kitchen again " we have changed the oil so this will be ok" wrong this was tough and inedible
BUT; the rest of us had finished our meal or at least what was edible, another of party had the ribs which resembled burn'nt sparkles however she did not want to create a fuss and just dined on the salad.
The kitchen staff (because this is what I call them ) because no self respecting chef would serve food in this condition, and if they paid attention to detail instead of messing around it maybe possible to serve somewhere near edible food.
They say establishments like these survive on passing trade and this is the best advice I could give for The Talbot ; keep passing.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Colin T
Lancashire
“Looks like we had a good night!!”
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Having just been to the Talbot and had a lovely meal i read the tripadvisor reviews and was shocked i have to agree that service could be improved in that the manager took us to a table and said that a waitress would take our order he was stood there chatting the waitresses were all busy but have to say food was lovely as were the staff we would recommend to anyone!!