“Good Value And Location. Shame About The Plumbing”

and 1 more site!
The Bell Hotel Epping
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Epping
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The location is great for North London and then getting into Essex if needed. Pleasant surroundings of Epping Forest, and only 10 minutes from the M25.

The reception, bar and restaurant area are pleasant enough, with comfy seating and TV's available for viewing the football in the bar area. I ate in the bar area and the food was good quality, generous portions and the pricing represented excellent value. The drinks were a little on the pricey side, so just watch what you order.

My room was of an acceptable standard, with a comfy bed,TV, tea and coffee making facilities. I would have slept well apart from the constant knocking from the hot water pipes and radiators that kept me awake. I requested a change of room, and this was sorted for me straight away to the opposite side of the hotel where the plumbing was either newer or hadn't got a problem with it.

Breakfast was a self-serve buffet, a relatively small choice of items but they were well cooked and tasty. Checkout was quite slow and I would have expected there to be a member of staff on the front desk at all times between 7am-9am. I waited 10 minutes for someone to appear, but when they did they were very apologetic and looked after me very well so maybe there had been a problem she was dealing with?

Overall, I would probably stay here again given the price (£60 B&B) and the location, but would make sure to request a room that had been refurbished

Room Tip: The front of the hotel seemed to have the more modern and updated rooms
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank T7PDC
KayumA, Manager at The Bell Hotel Epping, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear T7PDC

Thank you for taking the time to comment with regards to your stay BEST WESTERN The Bell Epping..

It is always a please to welcome our guest’s back to the hotel and thank you again for choosing to stay at our hotel. I am glad to inform you that we have commenced work on our plumbing and hopefully you will not experience any disturbance in future.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

What a find..... a very reasonably priced hotel in this area which ticks ALL the boxes: Efficient and very friendly staff, excellent rooms with all necessary facilities, very good food and so well located. I'll be back! PLUS: almost forgot: bar prices are reasonable......... not the usual rip-off! Many thanks to Angela on the front desk for really making me feel at home!

Room Tip: The "executive" rooms are really extremely good value for money....... very large and airy...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to comment with regards to your stay at BEST WESTERN The Bell.

I would like to first of all thank you for your kind comments regarding the check in, Dinner and breakfast and our other services.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Having read the reviews I was a little concerned about booking to stay here but it was the most convenient location for the plans we had for this weekend and others near to this weren't cheap enough in comparison to the additional fuel we would use staying another few miles away. We have been pleasantly surprised and will not hesitate to book here again - our room is spacious, well maintained, warm, comfortable and clean. The maid has cleaned and serviced our room to a high standard, the bathroom is spotless, it has been well-serviced daily over our three nights and restocked with sufficient clean towels, toiletries, tea/coffee, milk and biscuits, toilet rolls - I haven't had to ask for anything. It has cost £55 per night room only which for the area over a weekend is about average but have stayed in other cheaper and more expensive hotels previously and I feel really pleased with the value for money. The premier inn further away wanted £65 for the saturday night, and we have stayed at the Marriott Waltham Abbey previously which is far more expensive but we have received just as good service here. Although we haven't eaten in the hotel due to visiting family members, the food prices here aren't extortionate and the room service price list is actually on a par with the prices you would pay for food in any pub ! The bar drinks are about average too, not what I'd consider to be hotel prices at all (I paid nearly £10 at the Marriott once for a pot of tea, some biscuits and a pint of beer). An additional bonus is the early check in and late check out time, our room was available from 2pm on Friday, and we have until midday to checkout today which means we didn't have to worry about having a late night last night as we could still have a lie in - this is a huge bonus as most hotels are 11am checkout, some 10am, so this has made for a very relaxing weekend all in all and we haven't been hassled once by the maid to get into our room

Room Tip: ground floor if you have heavy cases as there are no lifts
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Booked in here by a client for two nights in relation to business. Staff pleasant, call to room shortly after arrival asking if everything was OK which I thought was a nice touch. I was in the Executive Suites....now I wouldn't get too excited about the word Executive but the room was clean and tidy, kettle, tea/coffee, biscuits etc. Couldn't quite understand why with snow laying outside and the temperature being below freezing that the heating in the room was off? I think my main complaint about the hotel was that pretty much everywhere was cold, the bar the restaurant the public areas.

As others have commented the place needs to be refurbished. Bed was soft and uncomfortable.

Other than that the food was hot and well presented, breakfast was OK, staff in the bar and restaurant very polite. I wouldn't be my first choice if I was in Epping again, however with a bit of investment and a tidy up it would be good.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We got the room from Late Rooms for £60.00. It said that the original rate was £200.00 plus which is hard to believe. We paid £5.00 more for an executive room. The hotel is very worn from the outside and our expectations fell a little.
The receptionist was very friendly. Our room was tired and was very disappointing. The television was broken and falling off the wall. There was only one armchair in a space that was clearly designed to have two. The receptionist rang as soon as we were in the room to ask us if it was ok. We hadn't really had time to check it out properly.
I must stress however that having told reception about the television and the lack of a chair both things were corrected whilst we were dining in the town. So no complaints about the staff at all.
I do wonder how long this hotel can survive. It needs a revamp and a shot of inspiration. I do wonder if this is a tall order for such a big hotel where a large financial investment would be needed. It feels like the hotel is letting the staff down.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I had booked this hotel through the Best Western website and just needed a comfortable room for the night whilst on a business trip. At £60.00 bed & breakfast and with the hotel being close to London I wasn't expecting a palatial experience but was pleasantly surprised. I'm a BW Rewards card holder and as such was given a free room upgrade when I arrived to an "Executive Suite".

To be honest it wasn't a suite but it was a large room with two additional easy chairs and a coffee table. The room was clean and had a nice bathroom which frankly, along with a wifi signal is all I need. The bed was very comfy and the room was nice and warm on an evening when the weather outside was -2 degrees.

The bar is fairly bland with a limited range of bar meals. I didn't eat in the hotel but walked the 10 minutes into Epping to the Duke of Wellington.

Breakfast is a rather limited buffet but the cooked breakfast was very good with poached eggs cooked to perfection. Always a bonus.

Reception and bar staff are very friendly and personable.

Good enough for me!

Room Tip: Always join the Best Wetern reward scheme and always ask for an upgrade.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SB1Epworth
KayumA, General Manager at The Bell Hotel Epping, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I am pleased that you found our room clean and the hotel central.

We take all reviews very seriously and keep working on improving our standards.

If you are thinking of returning on leisure , I would highly recommend to book our Advance Purchase rates offering great discounts for all purpose: Bed & Breakfast, Dinner Bed & Breakfast.

Regards
Kayum

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I booked this hotel a week in advance and got a GR8 deal on a double room. As a regular business traveller I just want to get to my hotel check in eat something and got to bed, tis hotel ticked all the boxes.

The Bell is easy to find not far from the motorway, easy to use and very comfortable. From registering at reception to check out the whole experience for me was very professional. The room was very clean, fresh and in particular nice and warm as I arrived on a cold, cold winter evening – FAB. The hotel staff are very attentive and professional. The only thing I would raise as a slight issue was the bacon I received at breakfast had seen better days and was a bit well done. Secondly for some reason I was not asked if everything as alright with my stay as I was checking out which I thought was unusual as I wanted to give some positive feedback but was not given the opportunity.

Overall this hotel is just what you want if you a traveller who wants great value for money and a safe and clean hotel for the night

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Jo

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us.It is wonderful to see that you had a great stay and another customer of ours left satisfied.

Its our duty to ensure and check if every guest's stay has been comfortable and i am sorry on behalf of the hotel front desk team who failed to check the same with you on departure.

Kayum

Also consider these accommodations in or near Epping
Elmcroft Guest House
Best Western Plus Epping Forest
Park Inn by Radisson Harlow
Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent
Travelodge Harlow Hotel

Been to The Bell Hotel Epping? Share your experiences!