“Could not have asked for more!”

The Bell Hotel Epping
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Epping
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed on a business trip and after reading other reviewes i was pleasantly surprised that my stay was perfect, cant point out any problem. Check in was great with attention and was shown to the room. Good clean room nice and warm, it was a superiour room. Free upgrade was given. Comfortable bed and decided to order room service whicht was prompt. My steak was cooked to perfection enjoyed it. English Breakfast was freshly prepared and was tasty. Staff at reception very friendly and left with good memory. Well done.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
KayumA, General Manager at The Bell Hotel Epping, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thanks for staying with us. We always aim that all the guests have a pleasant and memorable stay with us and i am glad that you enjoyed your stay and i will pass your feedback to rest of the team. Looking forward to see you again.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights with my elderly mother to visit relations nearby. We had both travelled 8 hours before arriving to check in to the hotel. We were greeted by unfriendly man at reception who said "can i have you card to pay for your stay" and gave me one card to access the room, so i had to ask him for another card as there were two of us staying in a twin room. He pointed to where we should go to the room we had loads of luggage but no offer of help was made to assist us especially as we had to go out of the building and access many fire doors to find our room.
The twin room was spacious and clean, the heating was turned down so you have to turn it up to suit you. The bath plug did not fit so be prepared for a shower only but the water was always hot. The hospitality tray for tea and coffee only gave you 4 cartons of UHT milk and the second day they were off.
There were a lot of foreign staff whom looked miserable and were unfriendly luckily the 2 English ladies during the day at reception saved the day for us and were very helpful when we needed their assistance and i appreciated this very much.
The breakfast was awful cheap bread for toast and the cooked breakfast was either kept warm or not properly heated in the microwave. The bacon and sausage and egg was barely cooked I couldn't touch it and sent it back. The Chef came out and obviously dismayed and asked if I wanted anything else but I declined. I do not blame the staff but I blame the Manager when on the occasions I saw him ignored all guests and bullied staff no wonder they are miserable.
The hotel had no ambience/ atmosphere at all although i suppose if you stay one night that won't really make a difference.
The good points were the room was fine and serviced and kept clean over 3 days and the Ladies at reception.
I could give more negatives but will leave it at that.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2012

rooms booked in this hotel, a group of us out to enjoy ourselves. for a week, the very next day we all checked out - manager was so rude, heating not working, room was freezing and phone in room not working, - and manager told staff not to give anyone breakfast (which wasnt a bad thing as they didnt know how to cook an egg) I am not making this up IMAGINE a chef not knowing how to boil an egg.
You would be warmer and happier if you stayed in a cardboard box on the side of the road - pls dont book this hotel

Room Tip: DONT book into a different hotel
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank april l
Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

I like Best Western hotels generally so book them with some confidence, more often than not knowing I will get good service in a pretty nice hotel.
This hotel proved the exception to the rule!
The room was basic, tired, dated and not as clean as it should be, although to be fair, the bed was comfy. The room was cold and the radiator was clearly blocked as only the top half got warm! The bodged leak repair to the towel rail also points to poor maintenance generally.
Decoration was knocked about and in need of attention and the food? Well nachos for a starter should not simply be cheap doritos piled on a plate, covered in cheese and popped under a grill until the chips burn and hide those with a dollop of cream and salsa! Breakfast was dull and greasy.
Basically, this could be a good hotel, all it needs is a management team and staff that care!
Use it if you need to, but next time I'm away on business in Epping, I'll look elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Checked in with no problems.The receptionist was very efficient.
My room seemed to have been recently refurbished and so everything was exceptionally clean and tidy and it's not often you can say that about the bathrooms in 3 star hotels.
The bar service was poor.The barmaid couldn't get access to a bottle of white wine and when eventually she hunted one down it was warm.She asked if we wanted ice in it!!
The breakfast service and some of the food (I can still see those eggs that had been fried hours earlier ) was poor but we laughed rather than got angry.Fawlty Towers eat your heart out.
Incidentally the "Sleep Quality" is marked down because the fire alarm went off during the night.Apparently the cause was a guest smoking in their room.Not the hotels fault but the interruption wasn't welcome

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Make sure you have an executive room! Hotel and rooms tired and I suspect this hotel gets rough clientele. The desk even told me they did and rooms get trashed by nightclub mobs at weekends. Hence they do not take cash. Breakfast ok that's it. Reception staff were superb.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Mark G
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed here for one night when attending the Olympics in July, therefore very expensive. Room ok with good size beds for children. Otherwise quite a basic room. Hotel looks quite run down and more like an old fashioned holiday camp.
Wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lag111
Also consider these accommodations in or near Epping
Elmcroft Guest House
Premier Inn London Enfield Hotel
Premier Inn Loughton/Buckhurst Hill Hotel
De Vere Theobalds Estate
Park Inn by Radisson Harlow

Been to The Bell Hotel Epping? Share your experiences!